Cycling Thread: Bernal wins the TDF

kempus

Some random news.

Sagan won the first stage of the Tour De Pologne.

Dan Martin has two fractured vertebrate in his back, from the Porte crash.

The Ciclista San Sebastian is happening now. With the likes of Landa, Barguil, Van Avermaet, Simon Yates, Gilbert, Uran and Dumoulin all racing. Its a big event on the calendar.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

Will Sky be able to keep Kwiatkowski or do you think a team will sweep in to make him their GC leader in the grand tours? Could Froome lose Landa and Kwiatkowski after this season?

Landa is surley gone. It depends how long Kwiatkowski has on his contract. I would imagine he's already a massive earner at Sky. Not sure he's a true GC guy. He's much better on the classics and as a Superdomestique, imo. He's actually in a great place at the moment. 

I think this was his first year on sky. I don't seen him as a guy that could win but maybe a guy who could finish in the top 10 of a GT. He is younger than I thought I think I confused him with someone else. 

I'm gonna try and find a stream of stage 2 but I may be out of luck until the Vuelta which I am super excited for. 

Thats bad news for Dan Martin but it was quite the performance to keep going and finish the tour. 

Yeah being on Sky is probably best for him. He is part of a juggernaut of a team he can win some stage races and help Froome go for number 5 again next year and get a split of that tour win money. 

We know Aru is going to UAE and Landa to Movistar do we have any idea on what other big names are leaving and where to?

7 minutes ago, kempus said:

Yeah, Landa has come out and said if he's leaving Sky it's probably to Movistar. Uran is also in discussions with Cannondale, Astana, UAE and Trek.

Maybe it's time for a change of scenery for Quintana.

Yea I agree about Quintana. What's the status on Valverde? Could he retire? Or will he be in the Vuelta? It may make sense for Uran to join with Landa and be the 2 guys for that team if they lose both Quintana and Valverde. 

Where would Quintana go? Astana?

7 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

Yea I agree about Quintana. What's the status on Valverde? Could he retire? Or will he be in the Vuelta? It may make sense for Uran to join with Landa and be the 2 guys for that team if they lose both Quintana and Valverde. 

Where would Quintana go? Astana?

I think Valverdes knee injury was pretty bad. I wouldn't be surprised to hang it up. 

Quintana would want to go to a team without a main GC guy. So, Sky, BMC, Sunweb and AG2R out of the question. I would guess Astana or Trek, depending on what Aru and Contador do.

4 minutes ago, kempus said:

I think Valverdes knee injury was pretty bad. I wouldn't be surprised to hang it up. 

Quintana would want to go to a team without a main GC guy. So, Sky, BMC, Sunweb and AG2R out of the question. I would guess Astana or Trek, depending on what Aru and Contador do.

Yea I wasn't positive on the severity of that knee injury was or wasn't but I've heard rumblings of retirement from Valverde before that. It would be a sour note to go out on after his career. 

Contador should contemplate retirement as well but who knows or if he's interested in a switch of teams as well. 

I'm pretty sure Aru to UAE is in the process of happening leaving Astana as the most logical destination at this point. 

1 minute ago, kyle21121 said:

I also imagine Sky will get someone perhaps a little surprising to replace Landa maybe a guy they look at as a future leader if anyone is open to coming over at this point or in the next couple of seasons. 

I think Sky will make a big push for both Adam and Simon Yates, as soon as they become available. The next big British riders at the British team. Makes too much sense. I think Sky are pretty solid for depth. 

I was looking on this website http://www.cyclingnews.com/teams/ at the different teams. Sky are still stacked. Thomas, Poels, Nieve and Kwiatkowski are all Superdomestiques. So long as Froome is Froome, they don't really need another GC guy. Let Thomas try the Giro again, imo.

13 minutes ago, kempus said:

I think Sky will make a big push for both Adam and Simon Yates, as soon as they become available. The next big British riders at the British team. Makes too much sense. I think Sky are pretty solid for depth. 

I was looking on this website http://www.cyclingnews.com/teams/ at the different teams. Sky are still stacked. Thomas, Poels, Nieve and Kwiatkowski are all Superdomestiques. So long as Froome is Froome, they don't really need another GC guy. Let Thomas try the Giro again, imo.

That makes a lot of sense to get both of the Yates brothers whenever they becomes available. 

I agree with the second part and giving Thomas a shot but they should always be looking ahead for the next star that could win a tour. When the had Wiggins they were pretty lucky to have Froome waiting in the wings and I think they would want to have the same scenario again in a few years when Froome is either in the decline or contemplating retirement.