Cycling Thread: Bernal wins the TDF

kempus

13 hours ago, mse326 said:

If that's true wouldn't it also then have the effect of making the Giro easier for him? Like his mere presence makes the race easier than normal for him to win.

Hard to say but I imagine it would. Guys more suited to the Giro will still participate but if anyone had thought well with Froome I'm not gonna win the TDF I wanna go for the Giro or the Giro-Vuelta double this year may rethink that plan and go for the more prestigious tour. That's the logic I am using and I guess we will have to wait and see the field. 

2 hours ago, kempus said:

Yeah, I think it may change one or two guys plans for the year. I also read a rumour that the Giro are paying Froome 2 million Euros to ride there. That's crazy. If true, it shows that Froome is in a category of his own when it comes to cycling stardom, at the moment.

If true that is insane. Obviously the Giro would want him and right now he's in a class by himself amongst other riders so I could see that being true. 

On 12/5/2017 at 11:09 PM, kyle21121 said:

Hard to say but I imagine it would. Guys more suited to the Giro will still participate but if anyone had thought well with Froome I'm not gonna win the TDF I wanna go for the Giro or the Giro-Vuelta double this year may rethink that plan and go for the more prestigious tour. That's the logic I am using and I guess we will have to wait and see the field.

Reading that Dumoulin is still likely riding the Giro again and then will try TDF this year. For career progression wouldn't make sense to just concentrate on the Tour this year (even if Froome wasn't riding the Giro) and worry about going for a double later? Make your mark first then go big.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/13/sport/chris-froome-drugs-test-tour-de-france/index.html

Well this will be interesting. I think public opinion wise it won't actually change anything. Those against him already will use this. Those that support him will say how this is different. And of course historically it doesn't seem like PED use or suspension has hurt how too many view Contador or even Merckx.

There is still more that needs to be determined, but it could end up resulting in him being suspended for the Giro and maybe Tour as well. However it isn't a given

Riders have in the past received bans for excessive levels of Salbutamol, a common inhaler used to relieve asthma symptoms. It opens up the airways to make it easier to breathe.

In 2014, Italian rider Diego Ulissi received a nine-month ban, while Alessandro Petacchi got a 12-month ban in 2007 and was stripped of his five stage victories in the Giro d'Italia, but riders have also been able to successful explain AAFs.

"WADA say that an athlete can take up to eight puffs in a 12-hour period and up to 16 puffs in a 24-hour period.

"We've shown data that demonstrates that if you're dehydrated the concentration level can go above the threshold level and also if your metabolism is fast that can also increase the level.

On 2017-12-12 at 2:51 PM, mse326 said:

Reading that Dumoulin is still likely riding the Giro again and then will try TDF this year. For career progression wouldn't make sense to just concentrate on the Tour this year (even if Froome wasn't riding the Giro) and worry about going for a double later? Make your mark first then go big.

I would say as a defending champion of the Giro he would want to go out and defend it on a course he likely feels more comfortable with than the tour. Obviously to then do the tour as well is quite the Herculean task and I can understand your line of thinking because that would be precisely my line of thinking. I'm not 100% sure if he think he can win the tour this year but wants to try it? Maybe focus more on the tour next season while trying to win 2 straight Giro's is the plan?

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2017 at 5:35 PM, mse326 said:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/13/sport/chris-froome-drugs-test-tour-de-france/index.html

Well this will be interesting. I think public opinion wise it won't actually change anything. Those against him already will use this. Those that support him will say how this is different. And of course historically it doesn't seem like PED use or suspension has hurt how too many view Contador or even Merckx.

There is still more that needs to be determined, but it could end up resulting in him being suspended for the Giro and maybe Tour as well. However it isn't a given

Certainly makes for an interesting couple of months. 

He seems to think there's nothing to worry about. 

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

@kempus

@texans_uk

@mse326

Giro coming up just around the corner. Anyone been following along with the early parts of the season?

Ive kept tabs on things but only have been able to watch a couple stages of the tour of the Basque Country. 

Haven't watched any yet, but been reading the news on it. Horrible news about Goolaerts death at Paris-Roubaix.

Still no news on if Froome is free to compete or not. Which seems very strange given how soon the Giro is. 

Edited by kempus

1 hour ago, kempus said:

Haven't watched any yet, but been reading the news on it. Horrible news about Goolaerts death at Paris-Roubaix.

Still no news on if Froome is free to compete or not. Which seems very strange given how soon the Giro is. 

I did read that it was submitted for punishment so it likely won't be resolved until after the TDF. Whether he can still compete is obviously a different story

9 hours ago, mse326 said:

I did read that it was submitted for punishment so it likely won't be resolved until after the TDF. Whether he can still compete is obviously a different story

I remember reading that the Giro won't let Froome enter, unless they get assurances from the UCI that the result will stand. Makes sense from the Giros perspective.

On 11/04/2018 at 7:28 AM, kyle21121 said:

@kempus

@texans_uk

@mse326

Giro coming up just around the corner. Anyone been following along with the early parts of the season?

Ive kept tabs on things but only have been able to watch a couple stages of the tour of the Basque Country. 

Saw MSR and Paris Roubaix which are always great. Nibali winning MSR cemented him as one of, maybe the, best rider of his generation. Sagan win in Roubaix was also super impressive. 

Excited to see Alaphilippe in LBL. He deserves to win a big one

On Thu Apr 12 2018 at 11:06 AM, kyle21121 said:

I may have missed or misread something but I thought Froome was good to go and would be entered in the Giro. I guess we will find out more definitively in the upcoming weeks. 

No, there hasn't been any news on it from what I know. Pretty strange situation.