The Bears defense

TB 1

I was curious how talented everyone really thinks the Bears defense really is even though they finished in the top 10. I know pro bowl voting can be a popularity contest but i believe the Bears only had 1 alternate on defense and that got me thinking. As to me it still seems like the Bears don't pressure the QB that well, they lack a CB who intercepts passes and another ILB.  Do you think this unit could regress if they don't have the proper coach or add some talent.

1 hour ago, TB 1 said:

I was curious how talented everyone really thinks the Bears defense really is even though they finished in the top 10. I know pro bowl voting can be a popularity contest but i believe the Bears only had 1 alternate on defense and that got me thinking. As to me it still seems like the Bears don't pressure the QB that well, they lack a CB who intercepts passes and another ILB.  Do you think this unit could regress if they don't have the proper coach or add some talent.

The Defense as a whole is overrated..... Remember part of the reason our D #s look so good is because our offensive scheme was so powerfully conservative...  Its the same reason Chip Kelly's defenses always looked lackluster, or why NE's offense looked sub par a few years ago, despite not really being bad.  Slow tempo offense = opposing team gets the ball less and scores less.... Uptempo pace on offense and your opponent also gets the ball more and racks more yardage/points.

I'd also add:  Prince/Fuller both had basically career years.... As did Amos..... Uncharacteristically strong years, even.... It's probably more likely that one or all of them come back down to reality than that they all continue producing at that level..

Finally, regarding ILB.... This might not be the popular opinion, and I frankly doubt it's even a possibility considering his was one of the only lockers completely cleaned out/without even his name on it prior to the season's end.... but I'd personally want to keep Freeman on board paired with Trevethan for another season. I get that he screwed up twice now with the PEDs, but I just don't see the point in creating a another hole in our defense, and he's frankly better than Trevethan anyhow.  Particularly when picks for us are already at a super premium needing EDGE, OT, WR, and CB (all fairly hard to hit positions that require early round draft investment... or significant expense with limited options in FA)

I would consider the Bears defense "solid". I feel like we don't have any truly great talents that a defense can build around. Examples would be.. Von Miller, Mack, Watt, even a player on par with an Everson Griffin. Those great Seattle defenses had multiple great talents who could change the game. To take the next step, we have to get a legitimate edge rusher and a ball hawking CB. Sadly, it's hard to think of Floyd being a double digit sack guy for multiple reasons.

I disagree that the defense was overrated.  On the premise that the Bears defense looked good was because the offense was so conservative, then why did the Bears lose the average time of possession for the season?  The defense was left in alot of unenviable positions and they held up (Remember the Carolina game?)  Here's take on their defense

The Bears defense is a young group with the arrow pointing up.  They have holes at CB, and OLB, and depth issues at ILB, NT, and S.  Besides working with Trubisky, working with this young group of defenders is going to be a plus for whoever takes over at DC.

As weird as it sounds of we keep Fuller & Prince I love our starting back 4 with Amos & Jackson...DT59 is a beast when healthy and Floyd really came in overall last year...Hicks & Goldman are two of the best in the NFL at their positions...so what we need it a solid DE...then two playmakers...one pass rusher and one speedy impact ILB...you add that and this quickly becomes one of the best defences in the NFL while still being young overall.

DL is solid.

OLB needs a lot of talent. Great teams have three good pass rushers. The Bears have one, when he’s healthy.

ILB has some talent, but when Trevethan is out, the entire defensive unit is way worse off.

DB, in my opinion, is a really good position group with the personnel that finished out the year (20/39/38/23). I think that group looks even better with a more consistent pass rush.

It’s a talented group. They need more depth at all three levels. They stopped the run well, but they have a long way to go vs. the pass.

1 hour ago, GBHalas said:

I disagree that the defense was overrated.  On the premise that the Bears defense looked good was because the offense was so conservative, then why did the Bears lose the average time of possession for the season?  The defense was left in alot of unenviable positions and they held up (Remember the Carolina game?)  Here's take on their defense

The Bears defense is a young group with the arrow pointing up.  They have holes at CB, and OLB, and depth issues at ILB, NT, and S.  Besides working with Trubisky, working with this young group of defenders is going to be a plus for whoever takes over at DC.

I agree. The defense isn't overrated, but they have a number of holes and IMO were hindered by Fangio's conservative nature. Fangio relies on elite talent to get pressure with 3 or 4, and that is exactly what we lacked. We need to re-sign Fuller. I think Freeman is a goner but he is on a cheap deal, so if he stays then fine. Passrusher is a major weakness, and like WR I hope we sign one in FA and one in the draft. I feel to be a top 10 defense we need 3 starters and 3 solid reserves at least.

OLB (opposite Floyd)

CB (Opposite Fuller)

ILB (#2) (Opposite Trevathan)

NB (I'm losing faith in Calahan and LeBlanc - but I'm fine with them having one more shot)

Reserve passrusher (Keep Houston? I hope we get someone younger)

Reserve NT (Jenkins was walked with amazing consistency - Unrein can absolutely fill this role though)

Of course I'm not opposed to getting more new faces, but I think this is a mandatory list of holes to be filled. I prefer one CB and OLB to be drafted in our first 3 picks. The reserves can be cheap and Callahan is a RFA who is unlikely to draw much attention. He can get a single year longer for a flier, but needs to improve to not be replaced. The defense had some really bad moments but was able to hang with numerous quality teams even when the offense was beyond stagnant.

The defense has talent, but needs to continue to grow. Fuller needs to at least be franchised, as we can't go into the offseason needing two starting CBs. I prefer to keep Amukamara and still get a CB after drafting a passrusher and WR. Let them evelop and Fuller can slide to the NB where he did very well before if need be, oer maybe the rookie is a more natural fit there. But there is talent and it is an adaptable group. We can do 3-4, we can one gap, we can be a heavy 4-3, whatever. Most of our pieces are scheme versatile. That is a huge plus in case Fangio packs up and leaves.

I’m really shocked we finished in the top 10 I think we have potential but there are plenty of issues imo 

DL- Hicks is a hog and Goodman is solid but we still need another guy.

OLB- when Floyd is out no one can sniff a qb. I would cut Pernell and Young (who retired after he signed his extension) and hit this position hard FA/Draft

ILB- we need another good starter. Freeman is older and will be facing a suspension to start the season do you keep him? Ski is a nice backup IMO.

CB- keep fuller and find a running mate via FA or draft. I’ve seen enough of Callahan and Leblanc.

Safety- Amos has turned the corner but I would cut Demos and look for another piece.

5 hours ago, Pdogg said:

I’m really shocked we finished in the top 10 I think we have potential but there are plenty of issues imo 

OLB- when Floyd is out no one can sniff a qb. I would cut Pernell and Young (who retired after he signed his extension) and hit this position hard FA/Draft

ILB- we need another good starter. Freeman is older and will be facing a suspension to start the season do you keep him? Ski is a nice backup IMO.

CB- keep fuller and find a running mate via FA or draft. I’ve seen enough of Callahan and Leblanc.

Safety- Amos has turned the corner but I would cut Demos and look for another piece.

I think this is why I want to re-sign Amukamara. I feel CB is probably the hardest position on defense to transition from college to the pros. This would let us draft a CB and have a year he plays in the nickel formation and gets groomed to replace Amukamara. We have Fuller who is solid vs the run and played NB quite a bit at VT. Let the rookie play mostly on the outside, use Fuller at NB when we aren't in base, and keep Amukamara on the opposite side.

Remember Cooper sucks something fierce and if one of Fuller, Amukamara, or the rookie gets hurt Callahan comes in. If we don't keep Amukamara and there is an injury to the rookie or Fuller, we are looking at Callahan AND LeBlanc both playing. And that...is just... eww.

13 hours ago, Pdogg said:

I'm not saying to keep Freeman, but he served his suspension while on IR.

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Valid point, I forgot it counted while there.

He is too cheap to pass up if he is available.

Even though I don't think he'll be back because of the two suspensions, but if he is he was the best LB on the team until Trevathan finally got healthy this season.

Just now, blkwdw13 said:

Even though I don't think he'll be back because of the two suspensions, but if he is he was the best LB on the team until Trevathan finally got healthy this season.

I'd keep him. He is worth far more than he is set to make and if we cut him due to another suspension, it will only cost us $500K. That is chump change if he screws up.

Plus I don't want to open more holes than we have to. One less opening means more focus on WRs and the offense.

Archived