Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

FIFY.

Unless you work in football you can no longer write off football tickets as a business. Same with most forms of entertaining clients including restaurants and stuff now too I believe. Loophole closed. Probably be a larger turnover rate this year as a result.

14 hours ago, Tperk said:

I just got the chance at season tickets 5 years ago. I'm a gold package holder and waited about 25 years for the chance to buy tix. Back then I assumed that when I had a chance at season tickets, I would go to every game that I had a chance to go to. However, 25 year later, a couple games a year is all that is in the cards for me each season. Between taking time off work, family life, and the fact that game day rates for hotels anywhere near Lambeau have skyrocketed to nearly $300+/night it makes it tough to squeeze in any more than 2-3 games a year considering its a 4 hour drive each way from Minneapolis.

It's a perpetual cycle.  Packers fans join the list when they are young and extremely enthusiastic.  They can actually get season tickets decades later, after they have mellowed quite a bit.  Is it any wonder GB crowds aren't as crazy as some others?

As a person who does not live in the US, I'm curious, wouldn't it be possible to sell those tickets only to people who are in the season ticket holder waitlist? You'd get the best of both worlds, you old ****s get to sell your tickets, and us international fans don't get disgusted by seeing more Lions jerseys than Packers ones in Lambeau.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

It's a perpetual cycle.  Packers fans join the list when they are young and extremely enthusiastic.  They can actually get season tickets decades later, after they have mellowed quite a bit.  Is it any wonder GB crowds aren't as crazy as some others?

That's why I call it the Lambeau Nursing Home.

21 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

As a person who does not live in the US, I'm curious, wouldn't it be possible to sell those tickets only to people who are in the season ticket holder waitlist? You'd get the best of both worlds, you old ****s get to sell your tickets, and us international fans don't get disgusted by seeing more Lions jerseys than Packers ones in Lambeau.

It just depends on whether you know anyone or what secondary ticket broker you use.  I am like 90% sure that I can't put them on Stub Hub, but say "no Vikings fans" it is just whomever buys the seats.  And as long as Lambeau is a destination venue, you will get opposing fans willing to pay a premium to see their team play there.  Am I going to sell my ticket for face value to a Packers fan or am I going to double it because a Colts fan really wants to go to Lambeau?

2 hours ago, VonKarman said:

There should be a team sponsored way to accomplish this, but there won't be because it would cost the team significant money.

Lots of reasons that happens besides that though. All our opposing fanbases are within driving distance. Lambeau is considered the Israel of football. Everyone has friends from opposing fan bases that they bring. Lions fans drove the cost way, way up for those tickets because they'd been pulling those ticket prices down for 30 years. Packers at the time, not looking like a playoff team. That's actually the response I got from most Packer fans last year--that they didn't care because their expectations were painfully low until week 16.

Interesting article of conversation with Terry Smith, King's CB coach at Penn St.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/colle...n-01hyc59yn4a3

In 2022, King ranked third nationally with 21 passes defensed. In 2023, he had only two. According to Pro Football Focus, he allowed a completion percentage of 45.8 percent in 2022 compared to 61.0 percent in 2023. However, in 12 games, he allowed 45-plus yards in only two. And in his final three games, PFF charged him with zero completions allowed.

“He wasn’t bad at all. He just didn’t produce the numbers in coverage,” Smith said. “Like I said, he didn’t give up a touchdown. In our world, that’s first and foremost because, when they don’t score, they can’t win. And so he played really well; just not as well as he did. He was an All-American the year before (but) Kalen was still great for us.”“

He’s going to make it because he’s a consistent football player and he loves the game,” Smith said. “One of the challenges we face in today’s game is people want attention, people want social media, people want all the other reasons. This guy loves football and he’s driven to be successful. Now that the draft has taken place, there’s another built-in chip on his shoulder and he’s really motivated to succeed.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Interesting article of conversation with Terry Smith, King's CB coach at Penn St.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/colle...n-01hyc59yn4a3

In 2022, King ranked third nationally with 21 passes defensed. In 2023, he had only two. According to Pro Football Focus, he allowed a completion percentage of 45.8 percent in 2022 compared to 61.0 percent in 2023. However, in 12 games, he allowed 45-plus yards in only two. And in his final three games, PFF charged him with zero completions allowed.

“He wasn’t bad at all. He just didn’t produce the numbers in coverage,” Smith said. “Like I said, he didn’t give up a touchdown. In our world, that’s first and foremost because, when they don’t score, they can’t win. And so he played really well; just not as well as he did. He was an All-American the year before (but) Kalen was still great for us.”“

He’s going to make it because he’s a consistent football player and he loves the game,” Smith said. “One of the challenges we face in today’s game is people want attention, people want social media, people want all the other reasons. This guy loves football and he’s driven to be successful. Now that the draft has taken place, there’s another built-in chip on his shoulder and he’s really motivated to succeed.”

I’m really in this guy’s corner. Yes because he plays for the greatest team in the universe and I want my team to turn trash into treasure. Also, he does seem to really have something to work with and is driven. You’ve got to love a redemption and if he can build his confidence up this season and then become a contributor by years end or next, think about the love he would get. I’ll be looking out for number 20. 

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

...... “One of the challenges we face in today’s game is people want attention, people want social media, people want all the other reasons. This guy loves football and he’s driven to be successful. ....”

So, he's saying that players are distracted by attention and social media?  But King is all football so he is going to achieve?  I hope it works out great, and he's a good player for us.  I admit I am somewhat respectful of Gute and the other GM's and scouting staffs in the league, though?  All of those scouts have researched the tape and the data that Smith is sharing, and they've also researched the "loves-football" character.   But they still all passed on him through 6 rounds.  Hope King proves Gute and a league-full of scouts wrong.    

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

What makes it Crazy?  Honest question.  Is it noise level?  People dressed in odd outfits? Fans jumping through folding tables in the parking lot?  

The Campbell story is curious.  Did he ever specify why he was so unhappy and lost his love for football in Green Bay? 

Pro sports is really tough.  Guys are so competitive, but how much of the time is a guy at his pinnacle?  An NFL veteran might spend most of his NFL life trying to recapture that moment, always frustrated?  Physically I'm not  quite as good? Coaching, I'm not used perfectly for strengths to shine and weaknesses be hidden?  Luck-wise, big plays just came my way then but don't seem to now?  Hard to want your best and usually be variably short of that.  Baseball hitters it's super hard, although for them it's all on them, they can't self-perceive as victims of scheme.  

Linebacker may be an especially challenging spot.  Expectations are so variable from coach to coach; and assignments super dependent on the play of other guys.  If a baseball hitter hits .215 it's all on him in his one-on-one with pitchers.  But LB, so different.  Blake Martinez complained that Z was given free-lance, so Blake was supposed to do the dirty work and fill all the holes Z created.  

Interesting that Campbell is excited in San Fran.  They've had great success with their ILB, so maybe they just do have coaching and scheme that is good and fun, at least for LB?  It's been board fun to blame Barry for everything: but if anything he came in as a LB-coach with history of enabling LBers to look good.  So kind of surprising that Campbell ended up hating it here.  

Anyway, hopefully Hafley and his staff really will be great at using guys to their strengths, and will have everything smart scheme-wise.  The D will thrive, the team will win, and everything is fun when wins are rolling. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Kepler said:

I have principles unless I can double my money

I lose money every year on tickets selling games I don't go to on Ticketmaster.

Every other season ticket holder I know does too.

The actual reality is that most everyone complains about it until they actually get the tickets. Then THAT bill arrives in March, and they quickly realize what it's really like.

Edited by incognito_man