Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Cadmus said:

Top 5 CBs From a Ted Thompson Year (minus Tramon) 

4.30  - 4.37 - 4.41  - 4.46  - 4.48  --> 4.404

Top 5 2019 CBs (minus Tramon) 

4.35  - 4.38 - 4.38  - 4.43 - 4.56 --> 4.42 

I know the above was meant to refute a point, so I am not arguing about the 40 times...

...but I have noticed that some players running the 40 have really poor get-off in the first ten yards but really book after that. This is why viewing players' game video really should take precedence over mere 40 times. You can train to have a good 40 time and not be a good football player (obvious to the people that post here, of course). Watching Savage's game against Ohio State you saw him playing all over the field and reacting and accelerating beautifully. The tipped pass that created a scoring opportunity for a fellow defender was a pretty good example of that. Dash times are won and lost on that first gear, but I think the truly speedy football players have an elite second gear and a great brain for football, a brain that sends the body in the right direction a few tenths of a second faster than the more ordinary players. Just an opinion on the issue of speed.

5 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

J.Hawkins 4.39,   K.Brice, 4.38,   they were fast.  D.Randall (4.46), M.Evans (4.52), H.Waters (4.50), they weren't slow but they were not low 4.4's or faster.

.... the Packers covet speed. The Packers you mentioned are all with the Packers in the 2016 to 2018 bracket, this is within the time the Pack increasingly collected the really high RAS guys......   They have had a quick guy or two on the team in the past (Sam Shields with a supposed 4.26 time recorded at Miami, and a 4.30 on his pro day, was notable), but never have the Packers had so many at one time.

You can't teach speed, as the saying goes. It doesn't mean you play well, but it's a good DB ability to hang your hat on, when you take a flier on someone.

Exactly.  The Packers have been in the speed-speed-speed RAS game for at least the last four years, as regards secondary personnel.  It's not new with Gute, that's been their mojo for years. 

It's a myth that RECENT Packers procurement has ignored speed, at least on defense.  They've been perhaps the most obsessed with combine measurables of any team in the league.  They've had lots and lots of speed in camp.  

Which matches your point, that when you're going to take a long-shot flier, you do it on a fast guy, in hopes that long-shot guy will figure out how to apply the speed to actual football game.  But it's kinda rare for that to happen, as evident from that at-the-time-seemingly-marvelous Brice-Evans-Hawkins UDFA class (there were a couple of other guys who had really good speed and RAS and camps from that class too, one from NOrthern Iowa who made the roster during the season, and another guy too IIRC).  

The nice thing now is that some of the fast guys scout to not only run fast but to play fast/smart as well.  Gotta have both!  The speed advantage is more than lost if you're a fraction slow to recognize what's happening and where to run.  First get-off hugely impacts 40-time.  But every play can be a series of stop-and-go get-offs and re-directs; recognition/diagnosis quickness is hard to quantify at combine.  3-cone is great for the ability to redirect weight/speed/direction physically, which is essential.  But a guy knows exactly where the 3 fixed cones are placed; no recognition/diagnosis required.  In a real game, Hawkins/Evans/Brice/Jones never know where the cones are going!

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Don’t know if this has ever been posted, but it’s damn interesting.

Couple of interesting observations, outside of the previously mentioned struggles against the AFC East:

1. GB's all time record against all teams is very good - wonder how this rates against the rest of the league?

2. Miami and Kansas have the highest winning percentage against the Pack - interesting.

3. Overall, it would appear GB's win % is higher across the entire NFC (Rams are the only team below .500), and noticeably lower in the AFC - interesting.

4. GB is the Chargers kryptonite, LOL!

5. GB is still Kings of the North!!!

41 minutes ago, Norm said:

Does any team have a better winning percentage against another team than we do against SD? You'd sure think not

Off the top of my head, I can't think of another situation where a team has so one-sidedly dominated another team over a long period of time. That being said, I had no idea whatsoever that GB had such a dominant win % over the Chargers until I saw this chart.  In recent times, you'd have to think the Patriots have a pretty hefty win % over everyone in their division, but that's just in the last 20 years.  When looked at over the last 40-50 years, I'm sure it's not .909 or even close, LOL.

Anyone that follows Kevin King on Instagram go to his page and watch his live broadcast. He’s on there with Jaire and Brown. Eating chicken wings. Brown looks like Rick James.  They are all at the Bucks game. Amos is there too, so is DMo too.

1 hour ago, YaddaHolla said:

Anyone that follows Kevin King on Instagram go to his page and watch his live broadcast. He’s on there with Jaire and Brown. Eating chicken wings. Brown looks like Rick James.  They are all at the Bucks game. Amos is there too, so is DMo too.

He don't know karate, but he know crazy.

Edit: Nevermind, that's a James Brown reference not a Rick James reference. My attempt at humor fails miserably.

Edited by wgbeethree

1 hour ago, YaddaHolla said:

G'mo / Gmo = Allison
J'mo / Jmo  = Moore

Who's DMo?

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

D5bGHbVXkAIHWlK?format=jpg&name=900x900

Honestly, 3 of the top 5 are completely meaningless based on sample size. 

It's encouraging that 3 of the guys behind Adams rank so highly, but you can see a clear trend here based on the quality of targets. 

Edited by Cadmus