Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

This seems pretty extreme when talking about kickers... I'm not saying we can't upgrade or anything but this isn't QB money were blowing here

you're right, its Mo Wilkerson money.

I don't recall saying this is going to make us mediocre.  But it is the recipe.  If you keep following this recipe, you will become mediocre.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

you're right, its Mo Wilkerson money.

I don't recall saying this is going to make us mediocre.  But it is the recipe.  If you keep following this recipe, you will become mediocre.

I'm way too lazy to check so maybe I'm wrong. Not I doubt you are cutting croz, signing Bryant and having what were payed Mo left over.

Yes overpaying guys is bad. But it's not like it's happening all over the roster right now, lately, sure it was.

Edited by Norm

1 hour ago, Norm said:

This seems pretty extreme when talking about kickers... I'm not saying we can't upgrade or anything but this isn't QB money were blowing here

agreed.
chi & minny both play in the same division, same opponents, same venues etc
Ask them how valuable an "average" kicker is in the grand scheme of things

"What Green Bay Packers kicker Mason Crosby did against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday was unprecedented. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Crosby is the first kicker to make two field goals 50 yards or longer in the final two minutes of a postseason game."

Kickers can drive coaches and fans crazy... and I agree with your notes above, GB could upgrade at kicker - but they could also strike out miserably as have many NFL teams in history, two of them in our own division. My guess is that Das Gute was hoping to squeeze one more season out of Crosby with punter JK Scott potentially taking over deep kickoffs to preserve what's left of Mason's right leg. We'll see soon enough

We saw this somewhat with Jon Ryan. We kinda overreacted and how long did it take to correct that? And that's punting, which more important than most people probably realize still isn't place kicking important. I'm NOT giant Crosby fan ( lol my phone swyped to horny Crosby fan) I was completely done with him. But he came back and yeah he's not the most accurate ever but idk. I think he's overly hated on. I don't like being scared to upgrade but Shane's right, it is really easy to obsess over your kicker and it can go very badly trying to find the next guy. The devil you know I guess?

I thought I was the only one who saw how stupid it was to try to upgrade at kicker.  Kickers are kickers.  There isn’t a kicker in the league guaranteed to have a great year, and there isn’t a kicker in the league guaranteed not to have a bad year.  Cutting Crosby to save money is asking to be in the same situation as the Bears.  They did the same thing trying to save money by moving on from Gould and I literally think people who think we should cut Crosby are literally stupid.  

Idk if this belongs in here or not, but there's a thread in NFL Gen regarding "Your Team's" All-Time Roster and was interested what you guys thought ours would be. 
Feel free to let me know if I'm an idiot and/or forgot anyone obvious or if you disagree. I had some fun researching everything. Here's what I landed on:

QB1: Aaron Rodgers

QB2: Brett Favre

QB3: Bart Starr

-3 Hall of Famers, 7 Championships, 6 MVP’s, 6 First-Team All Pro’s. No Brainers

HB1: Ahman Green

HB2: Paul Hornung

HB3: Ryan Grant

137 Rushing TD’s, 17,000 Rushing Yards, 5 Championships.

FB: Jim Taylor

-Hall of Famer. Not a Fullback in the current iteration, but still the position he played. 83 Rushing TD’s, 10 Receiving TD’s, 10,000 Total Yards, 1 MVP.

WR1: Don Hutson

WR2: James Lofton

WR3: Sterling Sharpe

WR4: Jordy Nelson

WR5: Donald Driver

WR6: Antonio Freeman

-This was kind of tough to whittle down. The Packers have been spoiled with very good WR’s over the years. I think this is a nice blend of talent and production. 433 TD’s, 26 Pro Bowls.

TE1: Jermichael Finley

TE2: Mark Chmura

TE3: Bubba Franks

-Went with more recent players here. I’m sure there were pretty good TE’s on the team back in the day, but receiving wise Finley was the best of them. Bubba Franks was a decent TD threat even though he ran like Frankenstein. Chewie was a nice security blanket for Favre in the 90’s. 69 Total TD’s between them. (nice)

LT1: Forrest Gregg

LT2: David Bakhtiari

-Not gonna pretend I know squat about Forrest Gregg other than he played for Lombardi and is a Hall of Famer. Threw Bakh in there because I love the guy and he can actually chug a damn beer unlike the QB he’s paid to protect. Has a great head of lettuce and wears the sexiest number you could possibly pick in the NFL.

LG1: Jerry Kramer

LG2: Josh Sitton

-We finally got Jerry in the Hall of Fame last summer, which was long overdue. Once hailed as the Pride of Sandpoint Idaho, Jerry won 5 NFL Championships playing Guard and moonlighted as a place kicker. Josh Sitton was a key cog in the Packers last Super Bowl run and he joins Dave Bakhtiari in the Beautiful Lineman Hair club.

C1: Frank Winters

C2: Larry McCarren

-Frankie Winters had the best nickname I had ever heard when I was growing up. Frankie Baggadonuts played forever, but got to protect #4 for 10 years. Brett mentioned him is his Hall of Fame speech. I never watched Larry McCarren play, but I did get his autograph once at Training Camp. He’s also the Packers color commentator on the radio and gets goosebump inducingly excited when AR12 does AR12 things.

RG1: Mark Tauscher

RG2:TJ Lang

-Tausch was a walk on for the Wisconsin Badgers and never looked back. Played forever and was incredibly reliable. Also looks like Jack Black if Jack Black wasn’t a shrimp. TJ Lang once fought the entire Dallas Cowboys Defense in a playoff game at Lambeau field. Also, Dez dropped it.

RT1: Chad Clifton

RT2: Ken Ruettgers

-Chad Clifton was about as reliable and steady as they come on the OL during the 2000’s. Probably most known for Warren Sapp absolutely blindsiding him and suffering a season ending pelvic injury. It might have been a blessing in disguise though, because it got Mike Sherman to wake up from one of his patented naps. Ruettgers was a 6’ 5” 280 lb monster who started 140 games and won a Super Bowl in his final professional year.  

LE1: Reggie White

LE2: Willie Davis

-Two Hall of Famers that helped their teams win Super Bowls. 18 Pro Bowls between them back when they meant something. Not much else to say. These are no brainers as well.

UT1: Henry Jordan

UT2: Gilbert Brown

-Jordan was a part of the Lombardi Packers that won 5 NFL Champions. Only 6’ 2” , 240 so his SPARQ numbers must have been eye popping. Gilbert Brown was an enormous man that stuffed the run. Known for his Gravedigger celebration. Got Burger King to offer a “Gilbertburger” for a short period of time in 1996. (Double Whopper with extra everything)

NT1: BJ Raji

NT2: Kenny Clark

-BJ Raji was great while he was playing. He got his money and decided to take a sabbatical which I don’t blame him for. Dom Capers was the Defensive Coordinator for chrissakes. Played a huuuge part in the playoffs leading up to Super Bowl XLV by jumping in front of a Jay Cutler pass in the NFC Championship and housing it. Kenny Clark is one of the brighter spots on the Packers Defense lately. He’s incredibly young, so this might be jumping the gun a bit, but his talent is undeniable.

RE1: Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila

RE2: Aaron Kampman

-These two made a formidable tandem from 2002-2008. 132.5 sacks between the two of them. KGB and AK74 were two of the better 5th Round Picks Green Bay had.

LOLB1: Clay Matthews

LOLB2: Tim Harris

-164.5 Sacks between these two. Clay was relentless for his first 6 seasons in Green Bay and then was asked to move inside to help compensate for the lack of talent at MLB. Tim Harris had 19.5 sacks in one season in 1989. Apparently has had 32 surgeries and is on disability, but said he would do it all again in a heartbeat. (Hear that you snowflake millennials?)

MLB1: Ray Nitschke

MLB2: Bill Forrester

-Both Hall of Famers. Never got to watch them, but my grandparents spoke highly of them. Part of Lombardi’s Championship teams. I guess AJ Hawk is a distant third on this list.

ROLB1: Dave Robinson

ROLB2: John Anderson

-Robinson is a Hall of Famer that played for Lombardi. John Anderson holds the record with Nitschke for most Interceptions by a Packers linebacker. By the end of his career he had amassed over 1,000 tackles for Green Bay.

CB1: Herb Adderley

CB2: Charles Woodson

CB3: Bob Jeter

CB4: Willie Buchanon

CB5: Al Harris

-161 Interceptions between these 5. Adderley and Woodson are Hall of Famers. 7 World Championships. Al Harris had an iconic pick-6 against Seattle in the playoffs. Woodson helped solidify a Packers defense in his 6 year career with Green Bay and is arguably one of the most decorated football players of all time.

FS1: Willie Wood

FS2: Nick Collins

-Can’t say I watched a ton of Willie Wood, but he’s got a great name. Him and Nick Collins combine for 69 Interceptions (nice) and 3 Super Bowls. Nick was on a path to super stardom, but a neck injury cut his career short. Had a pick 6 in Super Bowl XLV helping to defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers.

SS1: Leroy Butler

SS2: Johnnie Gray

-Leroy Butler not only invented the Lambeau leap, but was also a stud at Safety in the 90’s. Part of the NFL’s all decade team in the 1990’s, he’s a 4x All Pro that has a chance to sneak into the Hall of Fame.

K: Ryan Longwell

P: Jon Ryan

-Jon Ryan is jacked. That’s why.

Edited by Fl0nkerton

My first glance...

Depth chart at QB should read, Starr, Favre, Rodgers.  You can debate #2 and #3, but Starr needs to start, especially if the coach is Lombardi.

Hornung is the first string tailback.  HOF.  Heisman winner.

Taylor is the FB, and an unreal one at that.

Tight end...first team should be Keith Jackson.  He was the best we've ever had at the position, even if it was only for a short amount of time.  Coffman would be #2.  Unsure on #3.

No issue with WR at all.

I think Forrest Gregg was a RT.  Not a LT.  LT....thinking Clifton or Bakh.  Maybe Ruettgers.  

Wahle was about as fine a LG as anyone.

McCarren was a better C than Winters.  Flanagan was better than winters.

Tauscher never played RG.

Ruettgers was injured when he won a title.  Bruce Wilkerson was the one getting playing time.  For RT, I'd probably nominate Earl Dotson.

UT2...not Gilbert, he's the #1 Nose.  Thinking the Atomic Dawg, Santana Dotson.

NT #1 is Gilbert.  NT #2 is Bob Nelson (threw that in there for Techmo Bowl guys).  Seriously, though, Raji is probably NT2.

I'm pretty good with all others, except your returner is Desmond Howard or Travis Williams.

• Like 1

Appreciate the input! 

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

My first glance...

Depth chart at QB should read, Starr, Favre, Rodgers.  You can debate #2 and #3, but Starr needs to start, especially if the coach is Lombardi.

This is the only caveat. In this scenario, the super team is coached by none other than....

giphy.gif

ap-c03-3-rhodes-wolf-16.jpg?w=660

rhodes-wolf.jpg

Packers coaching legend Ray Rhodes.

23 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

My first glance...

Hornung is the first string tailback.  HOF.  Heisman winner.

Taylor is the FB, and an unreal one at that.

Tight end...first team should be Keith Jackson.  He was the best we've ever had at the position, even if it was only for a short amount of time.  Coffman would be #2.  Unsure on #3.

No issue with WR at all.

I think Forrest Gregg was a RT.  Not a LT.  LT....thinking Clifton or Bakh.  Maybe Ruettgers.  

Wahle was about as fine a LG as anyone.

McCarren was a better C than Winters.  Flanagan was better than winters.

Tauscher never played RG.

Ruettgers was injured when he won a title.  Bruce Wilkerson was the one getting playing time.  For RT, I'd probably nominate Earl Dotson.

UT2...not Gilbert, he's the #1 Nose.  Thinking the Atomic Dawg, Santana Dotson.

NT #1 is Gilbert.  NT #2 is Bob Nelson (threw that in there for Techmo Bowl guys).  Seriously, though, Raji is probably NT2.

I'm pretty good with all others, except your returner is Desmond Howard or Travis Williams.

On a more serious note, a lot of these guys I don't remember very well or have never seen/ I was being ambigious with the Tackle and Guard positions. Also, I'm not sure why I thought Tausch played Guard, or how I forgot Mike Wahle.

Figuring out the OL was pretty tough. After looking up Coffman and Ringo, they absolutely belong. Good look, @Norm

Edited by Fl0nkerton
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

There isn’t a kicker in the league guaranteed to have a great year, and there isn’t a kicker in the league guaranteed not to have a bad year.

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Cutting Crosby to save money is asking to be in the same situation as the Bears.

Please attempt to reconcile these two statements for me, then we'll talk abt who is literally stupid.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

Please attempt to reconcile these two statements for me, then we'll talk abt who is literally stupid.

*Established kickers. 

Sure, if you can get an established kicker who has been on an NFL roster and their starter for 5 years at the same cost as you can keep Crosby, go right ahead. 

Trying to retroactively replace Crosby after you cut him with undrafted free agents and nobody kickers?  Yeah, that's stupid.  I'll put it in bold letters for you: S-T-U-P-I-D.

Crosby is capable of hitting clutch field goals and capable of consistently kicking 50 yard field goals.  There aren't many kickers in the league who have the experience and leg that Crosby has. 

Additionally, there aren't many kickers left period. 

Your available free agent kickers right now:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/kicker/

It is the devil you know argument, as noted by someone else.  We know what Crosby is capable of. 

Everybody wants to point to his 4 missed field goals against Detroit while neglecting that he missed only 3 the rest of the year.  Not gonna get into what I consider a very legitimate reason for him to be a little distracted during the Detroit game because i have not seen anything confirmed on it, but if it's true, I'd say that Detroit game should just get thrown out altogether. 

Then there's the Lambeau effect.  It's not easy to be a field goal kicker in Lambeau Field. 

Ryan Longwell is the 29th best field goal kicker in NFL history at 83.2% success rate on field goals. 

Keeping in mind that Longwell only got older as he went with the Vikings and that he left Green Bay in his prime:

Lambeau: 81.47%
Minnesota: 86.42%

We got rid of Longwell after a poor season in which he made 74.1% of his field goals. 

Mason Crosby replaced him and made 79% of his kicks while Longwell made 84, 83, 85, 92, 94 and 78 percent of his kicks in Minnesota. 

Crosby never got above 80% of his kicks until his fifth year as a pro. 

Crosby made 29/32 kicks outside of the Detroit game.  That's one bad game in an otherwise great year, right around 91% of his kicks, and everyone acts like he sucks. 

It's outrageous and yes, frankly, stupid. 

Especially in light of the last time he had a bad year.  Crosby's worst year was literally followed by literally his best year. 

And then there's all the times in NFL history where NFL teams got rid of a good kicker after a bad year only to find a worse replacement. 

The Bears got rid of Gould.  Gould has missed literally 3 field goals since.  He has been 82/85 since the Bears let him leave. 

If you have a kicker that you know is capable of hitting clutch field goals who has been moderate to good for his career and his leg isn't falling off, you keep him.  It's as simple as that. 

Edited by Outpost31

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

On a more serious note, a lot of these guys I don't remember very well or have never seen/ I was being ambigious with the Tackle and Guard positions. Also, I'm not sure why I thought Tausch played Guard, or how I forgot Mike Wahle.

Figuring out the OL was pretty tough. After looking up Coffman and Ringo, they absolutely belong. Good look, @Norm

I vaguely remember the 80's teams.  Only know the 60's from talking with my old man and seeing old footage on TV.

You forgot Wahle because there's been a long line of very good guards in GB.  And he took a little while to get it together.  People pretty much forget that he was an unmitigated disaster at tackle, before flipping inside to guard and being one of the best.  Many thought Tauscher would make a better guard than tackle.  But the guy was a great tackle.  Cliffy was steady, but never a superstar.  Earl Dotson was an anchor on the right side.  And Mike Flanagan was a tremendous center that also could flip out and play the other 4 spots on the line, including left tackle.  And that was after he broke his leg.  Dude was legit!

Kicker wise...we've had some good ones.  Stenerud.  Jacke.  Longwell.  Crosby.  I was a little young for Jan Stenerud.  Jacke was pretty clutch.  I still remember the kick that beat San Francisco.  Never felt like Longwell or Crosby were/are sure things from any distance.  Not like Jacke was.

• Like 1