Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

7 hours ago, Leader said:

Fine, but disagree for reasons already cited. In order for it to be "political" it would need to espouse some political philosophy or "slant".
Communication between politicians isnt in and by itself political. It's nothing more than communication.

Removed ... not worth discussing.

Edited by coachbuns

On 1/2/2018 at 3:46 PM, incognito_man said:

This entire forum is 'packers news and notes' ;)

Maybe you could be more descriptive with the title? :)

On 1/2/2018 at 3:47 PM, Outpost31 said:

Honestly, I'd love it if there was a thread where there's no discussion, just Twitter posts/actual news.  No posts like this one that I'm making now, just 100% a thread where  you can only post news or Twitter speculation type stuff from Schefter and such. 

On 1/2/2018 at 3:54 PM, incognito_man said:

This is actually the opposite of the directive of this forum however. The leaders here (pun intended) prefer individual small threads to lunky long ones.

I get both sides, just passing it along is all.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:17 PM, JBURGE said:

yeah but then someone would post a tweet about us liking a WR in the 1st round and you would say no way and we would all argue

On 1/2/2018 at 5:18 PM, Outpost31 said:

I can control myself sometimes. 

Just wanted to bump this thread with interesting stuff from the first page......

And please, please, please, no more political BS.  I'm tired of seeing threads get locked because one guy needs to push the envelope every single time...and a couple guys take the bait.

I too come here for football and to expand what I think I know about football.  Let's keep it that way.

Acme Packing -  Packers’ Top Plays of 2019:

#1 - Aaron Rodgers’ miracle TD pass to Jamaal Williams
#2: Adrian Amos exacts revenge on the Bears
#3: Aaron Jones waves goodbye to the Cowboys
#4: Allen Lazard emerges and refuses to lose to the Lions
#5: Kevin King saves the day with an end zone interception
#6: Packers’ goal-line stand on Christian McCaffrey with no time left
#7: Rodgers hits Adams for huge third-down conversion to all but clinch playoff win
#8: Aaron Jones secures NFC North title for the Packers
#9: Aaron Jones’ spinning TD catch makes up for a previous drop
#10: Davante Adams’ second TD helps put the Seahawks away

On 6/25/2020 at 1:54 PM, Leader said:

Green Bay Packers - Who are the (Top 10) Packers' greatest offensive players since 1950?

1. Brett Favre (1992-2007)
2. Aaron Rodgers (2005-present)
3. Paul Hornung (1957-62, '64-66)
4. Bart Starr (1956-71)
5. Jim Taylor (1958-66)
6. James Lofton (1978-86)
7. Forrest Gregg (1956, '58-70)
8. Gale Gillingham (1966-74, '76)
9. Jerry Kramer (1958-68)
10. Jim Ringo (1953-63)

Hornung is so overrated it makes my head hurt. 

23 hours ago, deathstar said:

Josh Sitton needs to be on this list.

I'm definitely in favour of Sharpe being on the list. I don't really remember Lofton, but I DO remember watching Brooks, Freeman, Jennings, Walker, Driver, Nelson, and Adams, and of all those players Sterling was clearly a notch above (though Brooks' 1995, peak Nelson, and peak Adams flirt with being as good as Sharpe was). 

PackersWire - Top 5 sack leaders in Packers franchise history

1. Clay Matthews: 83.5 sacks - Over 10 seasons with the Packers, Matthews produced four seasons with 10 or more sacks and eight seasons with at least six or more sacks.
2. Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila: 74.5 sacks - A fifth-round pick of the Packers in 2000, Gbaja-Biamila exploded as a pass-rusher in 2001, beginning a brilliant stretch of sack production. Between 2001 and 2004, Gbaja-Biamila tallied 49 sacks – the fourth-most in the NFL over that period.
3. Reggie White: 68.5 sacks - His six-year run with the Packers between 1992 and 1998 was nothing if not prolific averaging nearly 12 sacks per season. He had four 10-sack seasons.
4. Tim Harris: 55.0 sacks - Harris needed only five seasons to set the Packers’ sack record during the late 1980s.
5. Aaron Kampman: 54.0 sacks - Kampman’s eight-year Packers career can be split into two four-year stretches. During his first four seasons (2002-05), Kampman produced just 13.5 total sacks. Over his final four seasons (2006-09), he had 40.5.

Green Bay Packers edge rusher Za’Darius Smith needs three more seasons with exactly 13.5 sacks – his total during a breakout 2019 season – to reach the top five in sacks in team history.

The Packers estimate Willie Davis probably had 120 or so sacks during his career.

Edited by Leader

Bill Huber / SI - At the Scouting Combine, Matt LaFleur said the Packers needed to draft another running back:

“I think anytime you look at the running back position, it’s such a long season, and those guys take on a ton of punishment,” LaFleur said. “I think that’s one of the tougher positions to play in terms of physicality, and I think you always need multiple guys to get to that finish line. Certainly, we’d like to play one more game than we did last season, and we’re going to need not only those two guys but I do think we’re going to need a third guy to put into that mix moving forward.”

With the bruising AJ Dillon joining the fourth-year tandem of electric Aaron Jones and do-it-all Jamaal Williams, the Packers have a potential three-headed monster to carry the rock in what figures to be more of a run-centric offense than the team has fielded in years. However, there are only so many touches to go around in the running game. Last season, Baltimore averaged a league-high 37.3 rushing attempts per game, though that was obviously skewed by the running ability of quarterback Lamar Jackson. Among teams with traditional attacks, San Francisco led the league with 31.1 rushing attempts per game.

Even if LaFleur changes offensive gears and Green Bay goes from last year’s 25.7 rushing attempts per game to 31.7, how will he divide about two-and-a-half dozen carries between Jones, Williams and Dillon?

////

I could be reading the tea leaves all wrong, but I'll believe the GBPs are going to average 30+ rushing attempts a game when I see it. All the signs and storylines indicate we're headed in that direction...I guess time will tell.

Bill Huber / SI -  Rodgers doesn’t need to throw for 4,600 yards and 45 touchdowns, like he did when he won his first MVP in 2011. Rather, when he’s asked to throw, he must deliver.

Last season, Rodgers completed only 62.0 percent of his passes. After completing 65.7 percent during his sensational 2016, he’s slipped three consecutive seasons. To be sure, some of that is on the staggering number of intentional throwaways. He had 59 in 2018 (19 more than any quarterback) and 39 in 2019 (second to Tom Brady’s 45).

For a better indicator on accuracy, Pro Football Focus charts “adjusted completion percentage.” That stat pretends throwaways didn’t happen and counts drops as completions. Last season, 30 quarterbacks had at least 300 dropbacks. In that group, Rodgers ranked 18th with an adjusted completion percentage of 73.3.

How important is it to throw the ball accurately? Last season, eight of the top nine in adjusted completion percentage made the playoffs. On the other hand, only one of the bottom eight qualified for the postseason.

The hope for the Packers is that Rodgers improves in Year 2 in Matt LaFleur’s offensive scheme.

53 minutes ago, Leader said:

Bill Huber / SI - At the Scouting Combine, Matt LaFleur said the Packers needed to draft another running back:

“I think anytime you look at the running back position, it’s such a long season, and those guys take on a ton of punishment,” LaFleur said. “I think that’s one of the tougher positions to play in terms of physicality, and I think you always need multiple guys to get to that finish line. Certainly, we’d like to play one more game than we did last season, and we’re going to need not only those two guys but I do think we’re going to need a third guy to put into that mix moving forward.”

With the bruising AJ Dillon joining the fourth-year tandem of electric Aaron Jones and do-it-all Jamaal Williams, the Packers have a potential three-headed monster to carry the rock in what figures to be more of a run-centric offense than the team has fielded in years. However, there are only so many touches to go around in the running game. Last season, Baltimore averaged a league-high 37.3 rushing attempts per game, though that was obviously skewed by the running ability of quarterback Lamar Jackson. Among teams with traditional attacks, San Francisco led the league with 31.1 rushing attempts per game.

Even if LaFleur changes offensive gears and Green Bay goes from last year’s 25.7 rushing attempts per game to 31.7, how will he divide about two-and-a-half dozen carries between Jones, Williams and Dillon?

////

I could be reading the tea leaves all wrong, but I'll believe the GBPs are going to average 30+ rushing attempts a game when I see it. All the signs and storylines indicate we're headed in that direction...I guess time will tell.

30 rushing att....that's quite a bit. With 2 RBs, I think GB was going with the "Jones 2 series, Williams 1 series" model. Give the disparate skill sets (Jones and Williams are sorta do-it-all-backs, Dillon is more of a hammer), it's tough to say "OK, this is your series" (even then, it would be a lumpy 2-1-1 mix); even Baltimore really only had 2 backs in the mix (Ingram with 200 carries, Edwards at 133). SF had 3 but I think that was in large part due to juggling injury and all of them were averaging <10 carries a game. Winning cures all ills, but that seems to be a way to make your RB room unhappy. 

Assuming Dillon is able to contribute relatively early, I see Jones losing 20-30 carries off his 236, along with the #2 back losing about that off Williams' 107, so if Dillon remains #3 he'd end up with about 50-ish carries. Let's say they get up just short of 30 carries, meaning there are 60 extra carries to go around and all 60 go to RBs, putting the RBs up near 400 carries total vs the 350 from last year - maybe the top 2 backs lose nothing and the bulk of the extras go to the #3. 

On 6/26/2020 at 3:03 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

I'm definitely in favour of Sharpe being on the list. I don't really remember Lofton, but I DO remember watching Brooks, Freeman, Jennings, Walker, Driver, Nelson, and Adams, and of all those players Sterling was clearly a notch above (though Brooks' 1995, peak Nelson, and peak Adams flirt with being as good as Sharpe was). 

Yah, none of those players were anywhere near as good as Sterling was.

Sterling (and Holmgren/young Favre) re-wrote record books.  He wasn't arguably one of the top 3 WR's in the league, he most certainly was.  And he played in a league that had Prime Jerry Rice.

7 years played.  5 Pro Bowls, back when that meant something, 3 Time All Pro.

He could beat you with route running, toughness and speed.  He had the whole package.  He was catching 100 balls in the league before anyone else really was.  And he was always doubled.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 7:21 AM, Mr Bad Example said:

Willie Davis was the Reggie White of his day, wasn't he? 

It's a shame things ended badly with Tim Harris; sure, he was kind of a mouthy jerk, but he was possibly the 2nd best pass rusher I've seen play for GB in the past 35 yrs. 

When talking to my old man, Reggie White was the Willie Davis in his day........

• Like 1