Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

ESPN put out their annual Top 25 NFL Prospects list. 2 Packers made it.

This is the methodology:

3rd round pick or later entering the league between 2017 & 2019 with fewer than 500 career snaps. Age 26 or younger for the 2020 season

#8 Jace Sternberger

Buried on the bench last year almost inexplicably behind a washed-up Jimmy Graham, Sternberger should finally get some freedom now that the only player on the tight end depth chart with a meaningful role last year is Marcedes Lewis. Sternberger is a rarity: a skill position player who has Matt LaFleur's eye. LaFleur told the team's official website in March that "[Sternberger] has contact courage. He's not afraid to put his face on people. He's a much better blocker than anyone ever thought he was coming out of Texas A&M. I'm just excited for his future."

And while Sternberger showed plenty at Texas A&M with an 832-yard, 10-touchdown outburst in his only real season of work after transferring from Kansas, this placement for him is really more about the opportunity than anything else. The Packers had no reliable targets last year other than Davante Adams -- Aaron Jones finished second on the team in targets -- so it stands to reason that Sternberger could step right in and fill a gaping No. 2 target role the Packers never properly filled after Jordy Nelson was released.

Sternberger's rookie season did not offer much of a clue about how he would play going forward, as he was mostly utilized as an extra blocker in three-tight end sets, but the pedigree and opportunity combine to tell a story worth being quite optimistic about.

#19 Chandon Sullivan 

The Packers never trusted Sullivan with a true starting role outside, but he got playing time in their deeper packages both in the box and at slot cornerback. Sullivan was absolutely lights out in coverage in this role that mostly saw him on slot receivers, running backs and tight ends. He allowed five first downs in coverage all season, and no touchdowns. He also allowed a grand total of six completions in his 21 coverage snaps.

Sullivan's draft stock was heavily impacted by his combine, running a 4.60 40-yard dash that essentially ended any hopes he had of being an outside corner. However, he displayed other athleticism there by placing in the 90th percentile of both the broad and vertical jumps among corners since 2000. Sullivan signed with the Eagles after the draft and made it to their practice squad in 2018. The Packers signed him away after the 2019 season, plugged him into this role, and it worked.

With Tramon Williams leaving as a free agent, the path of least resistance for the Packers is probably using Sullivan as the primary nickel corner, which is a role that wouldn't seem a stretch from what he did last year. No new corners were drafted, and 2018 second-rounder Josh Jackson has been a pretty big disappointment in his first two years in the NFL. If Jackson does get corner snaps, of course, Sullivan gets to stay in a familiar role that he excelled at in 2019.

To our dismay, a Viking is #1 (EDGE Ifeadi Odenigbo) and they also have Alexander Mattison, who looked great last year, coming in at #9 (just behind Jace). I guess the writer really liked what he saw from Sternberger last year and is expecting big things now that Graham is out of the picture.

Any thoughts?

Methodology be damned, why isn't Kyler Fackrell #1?!?! Like SRSLY???

1 hour ago, StartBarr said:

ESPN put out their annual Top 25 NFL Prospects list. 2 Packers made it.

This is the methodology:

3rd round pick or later entering the league between 2017 & 2019 with fewer than 500 career snaps. Age 26 or younger for the 2020 season

--

Methodology be damned, why isn't Kyler Fackrell #1?!?! Like SRSLY???

Kyler Fackrell is 143 years old.  And he is the #1 pass rusher in the league, not a prospect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Kyler Fackrell is 143 years old.  And he is the #1 pass rusher in the league, not a prospect.

Like I said methodology be damned, and I don't care if it's a Top 10 Quarterbacks list, Fackrell should be #1 on all lists fam, football related or not... don't @ me !

The Cole Madison experience is over.  I hope he lands on his feet somewhere.

M6BZ7uYQ_bigger.jpg

The Packers have waived OL Cole Madson and FB Jordan Jones, per a source. Tough deal for Madison, who came back last year after sitting out as a rookie for mental health reasons and then got hurt late last year. https://es.pn/2EvNd6i
Edited by {Family Ghost}