Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Lang and Sitton's bodies broke down towards the end of their GB career, and into their next team they completely fell apart.

Lang missed 3 games so there is some truth to that. Sitton didn't miss a start his last 4 years with us though.

Linsely missed 3 games last year, so is it a sign?

6 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Lang missed 3 games so there is some truth to that. Sitton didn't miss a start his last 4 years with us though.

Linsely missed 3 games last year, so is it a sign?

Going completely off memory here, but IIRC Lang was dealing with knee and shoulder issues his later years in Green Bay.  I recall him being on the injury report nearly every single game.  Same thing with Sitton, although I think it was his back that was acting up.

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Centers are paid closer to RTs than RTs are to LTs, but to a large extent that makes sense. RTs are generally what is left over from the LT ranks. You're paying the (at best) 12th best Offensive Tackle, (and realistically more like 20th) as much as the best Center.

Even still, the average C contract is 3.19 million. The average RT contract is 5.47. Teams are generally willing to pay an elite Center around what a really good RT makes, 

That's my point.  If you're a really good OT, you're playing on the left side.  If you're not the best pass protector on your team, you're probably playing on the right side.  There's a few exceptions, but that's largely the case.  My whole argument is that Cs are paid closer to what RTs are paid than they are to LTs.

On 2/26/2021 at 6:00 PM, cannondale said:

Jenkins at C is a waste IMO. If he can be a RT, that's where you put him to get the best value of his talents. 

I would normally agree.  But, in watching a lot of our "good" runs, many were due to Lindsley chipping on a guy and having the feet to get to the second level and take an ILB out of the play.  Seems like the tackles lock on and drive, but the center is the one getting downfield and creating larger lanes.

I can see Jenkins being very good and very important inside.  Especially if he's helping out a newbie next to him.

But we shall see.

On 2/27/2021 at 4:40 PM, Mazrimiv said:

If GB really offered Jones a contract in the neighborhood of top 5 RB money, I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to use the tag on him for 2021.  I have to think that even if the total guarantees offered by GB weren't what Jones was looking for, they would have easily topped the 8M being reported for the expected tag number.  Spending 8M for a year of Jones at his peak value is not a bad investment. 

Just me speculating here.  When was it reported that Jones had that offer extended to him?  Look at that date, then look at when Bakh signed his deal.

Just a guess, but I'd wager that GB had "X" amount to spend on their players.  I'll bet they started off wanting both Bakh and Jones.  Offered Jones a deal that would still let them get Bakh.  Bakh wanted more, Jones declined the offer and we just locked up Bakh.  Money is now gone that was allocated for re-signing your own.

We still gotta free up money just to participate in the draft, let alone free agency.

On 2/27/2021 at 10:34 PM, CWood21 said:

You're missing the entirety of my post.  I'm arguing the difference between RT and IOL is minimal.  We're seeing an influx of value to IOL and RT aren't premium positions compared to LT.  If you're an elite pass protector, you're moving to LT unless you're playing with a LH QB.  LT are inherently valuable because they're the guys blocking the blindside.

Orlando Brown of the Ravens wishes to "like" your comment.

Ryan Wood -    Aaron Rodgers donating $1M to 80 small, locally owned businesses in hometown of Chico and all of Butte County, CA. Those 80 restaurants and retail businesses will receive grants to help cover rent for, on average, 3 months or longer and/or other operational costs.

👍