Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Ben Fennell -    The more the ackers can threaten teams w/ run game - the better life is for Aaron Rodgers & WRs.

I know it probably doesn't mesh well w/ your spreadsheets - but I hope they pound the ball in '21 with AJ Dillon/Aaron Jones.

Install Priorities: Run Game, RPO, Play Pass, Drop Back

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R T said:

From PFF, Kamal Martin led all off the ball LBs last season with a 1.4 yards avg. depth of tackle on run plays.

Q on ILB:  For the occasional snaps when the Packers play two ILB, are Martin and Barnes a good pair together?  Or are they kinda too similar, and when a coach wants to play with two ILB, he ants them to have more different profiles?  

More fundamentally, I'm wondering whether Barnes/Martin might be a good long-term combo at ILB,  and there is no purpose except depth/ST to draft another in the middle rounds?  

Do we expect ILB to get used differently, or more often, under a Barry defense?  

It seemed to me that Martin was getting used significantly mid-year, but then his usage got reduced down the stretch and they preferred Kirksey.  

Personally?  I'm more than fine with a Barnes/Martin pairing.  Gute, though, said he wanted "more" out of his ILB's.

I could see us really like Zaven Collins.  Hoping we don't burn a first on an ILB, but I'll bet we like him.  He's long, and he can cover.  

I don't think Gute will hesitate in the mid rounds to take an ILB to throw into that mix.

20 hours ago, R T said:

From PFF, Kamal Martin led all off the ball LBs last season with a 1.4 yards avg. depth of tackle on run plays.

Nice of PFF to tweet out examples of why specific stats are useless in the aggregate.  Martin's depth of tackle was so good because he either made it at the line or picked the wrong gap and didn't make it at all.  A guy who misses 50 tackles but makes 10 at the line has a better depth of tackle than a guy who makes all 60 of his 3 yards past the line of scrimmage.  Without knowing how many times a guy blew his assignment this stat tells you pretty much nothing.

That being said I do really like Martin.  He was fully a bull in a china shop last season, but if he can learn to read it correctly more reliably I love the way he just hits it as soon as he sees it.  Brings an absolute load on the blitz too.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Nice of PFF to tweet out examples of why specific stats are useless in the aggregate.  Martin's depth of tackle was so good because he either made it at the line or picked the wrong gap and didn't make it at all.  A guy who misses 50 tackles but makes 10 at the line has a better depth of tackle than a guy who makes all 60 of his 3 yards past the line of scrimmage.  Without knowing how many times a guy blew his assignment this stat tells you pretty much nothing.

That being said I do really like Martin.  He was fully a bull in a china shop last season, but if he can learn to read it correctly more reliably I love the way he just hits it as soon as he sees it.  Brings an absolute load on the blitz too.

Agree that it is misleading, but I think it does reflect the down hill nature to his game and that is the reason I posted it.