Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

making room for incoming players from Rodgers trade!!!!!!!!!!

Get the humor, but Russell's cap number was 920K vs 660K of other first year FA's and he was destined to get the ax if the Packers didn't see him as a strong 53 candidate.    

3 hours ago, R T said:

Get the humor, but Russell's cap number was 920K vs 660K of other first year FA's and he was destined to get the ax if the Packers didn't see him as a strong 53 candidate.    

can't acquire more players than the 90 allowed for the off season roster.   it is not about the cap number, but the number of players

On 5/23/2021 at 2:02 PM, Les Punting said:

Patrick had a pretty good year in '20, played 90% of snaps, gave up only 3 sacks, minimal penalties. There are a number of metrics for gauging the various facets of OL performance. Pass rush win rate is one. Patrick and Jenkins had identical percentages (94%), both ranking top 10.  

What are some metrics, other that the eyeball test, that suggest Jenkins had a much better season than Patrick? 

If a guard and a Center have identical pass rush win rates, the Guard is miles better than the Center. 

7 hours ago, squire12 said:

can't acquire more players than the 90 allowed for the off season roster.   it is not about the cap number, but the number of players

Not claiming they don't want a roster spot, simply noting why it was a 920K guy and not a 660K guy. If they want another spot Bronson Kaufusi with probably be the odd man out. 

Spotrac article about pending contract extensions......

Davante Adams, WR, GB

The 28-year-old remains one of the best WRs in the game, entering a contract year in 2021. Whether he stays or finds a new home, Adams is about to reset the WR market financially, currently valuing at $25M - 5 years, $125M.

I think it's a bit much that the whole receiving corps didn't show.  I get DA having his QBs back but the rest of those guys aren't in that irreplaceable category. 

I noticed the vets on defense were there, showing leadership.  Some said they were there for their bonus and that's fine, that's why it was built into the contract.  Big Dog and Big Bob present.  The Oline minus an injured 69 were there. 

This is just the voluntary portion of camp but I would definitely be trying to keep a good impression with the team, unless you believe Rodgers will be the GM by this time next year.

PackersWire - Packers QB Jordan Love off to a good start at OTAs

“I think you can tell he put some work in this offseason on his own,” LaFleur said Tuesday. “The ball is really jumping out of his hand well right now.”

“We’re excited about some of the progress we’ve seen with him, but certainly there’s a long way to go there.”

Love did not get to experience a normal rookie offseason last year as far as going through a full preseason. That would have granted him the opportunity to showcase his skills in a game environment and give the team a better understanding of where he is at in his development. Instead, Love got very few reps as he sat behind Rodgers and backup quarterback Tim Boyle. If he was lucky, Love would get one or two snaps during in-season practices. Love didn’t play a single snap in 2020 after being inactive for all 16 games.

While praising Love, LaFleur also pointed out how much he has matured over the last year, specifically when it comes to his mechanics. LaFleur believes Love approaches the game with the right attitude as he continues to try and make the most out of every opportunity.

“I like his mindset right now,” said LaFleur.

12 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I think it's a bit much that the whole receiving corps didn't show.  I get DA having his QBs back but the rest of those guys aren't in that irreplaceable category. 

I noticed the vets on defense were there, showing leadership.  Some said they were there for their bonus and that's fine, that's why it was built into the contract.  Big Dog and Big Bob present.  The Oline minus an injured 69 were there. 

This is just the voluntary portion of camp but I would definitely be trying to keep a good impression with the team, unless you believe Rodgers will be the GM by this time next year.

It puts some of them in an odd position.  I think that Lazard and MVS are pretty safe in their jobs.  But at the same time, they are at a big crossroads as far as money goes.  I think EQ and Funchess are in a bit more precarious position, and if they throw in with Rodgers right now, perhaps that solidifies them should Rodgers return.  At the same time, their absence gives other players a chance to make the roster, and we have seen that the Packers will keep guys that have worked through their program at WR.  

ESPN -  Aaron Jones, who re-signed with the Packers for four years and $48 million shortly before free agency began, said Rodgers never gave him any indication that he would not be back this season. Even if he had, Jones said it likely would not have influenced his decision to re-sign.

"This is home," Jones said. "I love my coaches, my teammates, the community, the system."

Veteran safety Adrian Amos - said, unlike his coach, that he did not watch Rodgers' first interview on the subject since the news of the quarterback's standoff with the team broke in April.

However, he believes there's still a chance Rodgers could return. 

"I haven't heard him say anything other than that, so I expect him to be. But I'm not going to go home and cry if something else happens. I'm just playing it day by day, but of course, you want one of the greatest -- if not the greatest -- quarterback ever on your team. You want him out here. But everybody has to go about their business, and I'm not going to knock anybody for getting what they feel like they deserve."

The Packers Wire -  Ravens feared Packers would take Rashod Bateman at No. 29 overall.

• Zach Kruse -   I think it's fair to say the Packers were a little unlucky the last two drafts. They certainly wanted a first-round WR. Other teams just didn't allow it