Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Csraverage said:

Big surprise.  On the positive note, if it's serious, that means he's not going to blow up during a contract year which would have likely meant a raise and contract extension.  I like Randall Cobb the person but I want nothing to do with him on the roster going forward after next year as he simply isn't reliable or consistent.  The last 3 years have shown that he's not much more than JAG despite his massive, bloated contract.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SSG said:

Big surprise.  On the positive note, if it's serious, that means he's not going to blow up during a contract year which would have likely meant a raise and contract extension.  I like Randall Cobb the person but I want nothing to do with him on the roster going forward after next year as he simply isn't reliable or consistent.  The last 3 years have shown that he's not much more than JAG despite his massive, bloated contract.  

IMO that is the plan.  They are overhauling the position.  Next season Cobb and Allison are free agents.  Allison is restricted, so either he is cheap or we will get some compensation with a tender.  Pick your favorite of the three 2018 draft picks and add a 2019 draft pick and we have a new receiving corps featuring old man Adams.

2018: Adams-Cobb-Allison-2018 DP

2019:  Adams-2018 DP-2019 DP-(Allison?)

2 hours ago, SSG said:

Agreed, I think all the nagging injuries have hurt him immensely, but after drafting 3 WR's almost consecutively, I can't help but think that at least 2 of them will pan out. I doubt we invest a high draft pick at the position next year given the depth of the EDGE class. I doubt Allison will go anywhere as well. He's a great possession receiver and can find ways of getting open.

7 hours ago, Joe said:

Agreed, I think all the nagging injuries have hurt him immensely, but after drafting 3 WR's almost consecutively, I can't help but think that at least 2 of them will pan out. I doubt we invest a high draft pick at the position next year given the depth of the EDGE class. I doubt Allison will go anywhere as well. He's a great possession receiver and can find ways of getting open.

Woah! Let’s take off the green and gold glasses! Expecting “at least 2” of the three 4th, 5th and 6th round wide receivers to pan out is maybe stretching a bit. I’m just hoping for one to develop into a strong 4th receiving option! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Woah! Let’s take off the green and gold glasses! Expecting “at least 2” of the three 4th, 5th and 6th round wide receivers to pan out is maybe stretching a bit. I’m just hoping for one to develop into a strong 4th receiving option! 

Really?.....We drafted three receivers a few drafts ago and two of the three of them not only made the roster, but one made a crucial catch in a playoff game and was a stallwort on ST. The third of the three had his career end due to concussions and other nagging injuries. Suffice it to say that our offensive coaching staff has consistently done their job in that area. Furthermore, we've seen multiple Day 3 picks become routine All Pro's and/or WR1's. Remember Donald Driver? How about Antonio Brown? Oh and that Dante Hall guy too....

You are teetering on the troll line here...

If you consider Abbrederis and Janis hits we have greatly different definitions of panning out. Abbrederis fell to the fifth round because he was a huge injury risk. Janis like you said played special teams and had a catch... if every receiver drafted by the Packers hit we couldn’t be looking at a depth chart that reads: Adams, Cobb... Bueller? 

Don’t single out a handful of late round draft picks over nfl history that have outperformed their draft position as a reason for why this year’s late round picks will excel. That as you put it would be teetering the troll line. 

Dante Hall was a return man rarely playing on offense I would be surprised if he had 3000 receiving yards in his 10ish year career. I would not be thrilled if the Packers were depending on Prime Dante Hall to be an impact receiver this year.

• Like 1

You make good points Zepp but think Gute struck gold with these 3 picks.  All 3 have #1 type traits.  Not expecting a whole lot this year it will take 3 years to see how we did with these guys.  I think there is a good possibility that we hit on 2 of them.  EQ is my favorite of the 3.  They have to be developed it's why they fell.  Considering how weak the WR class was this year thought Gute might have found some late round gems.  History says you are right.  Normally I would agree but after reading up on these guys they are not your typical late round WR's.  This position is what intrigues me the most going into training camp.  Want to see how these guys do in pads.  With Cobb out with the ankle these guys should get some reps.  If one of them can grab the #3 spot this year that will be encouraging.

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

You make good points Zepp but think Gute struck gold with these 3 picks.  All 3 have #1 type traits.  Not expecting a whole lot this year it will take 3 years to see how we did with these guys.  I think there is a good possibility that we hit on 2 of them.  EQ is my favorite of the 3.  They have to be developed it's why they fell.  Considering how weak the WR class was this year thought Gute might have found some late round gems.  History says you are right.  Normally I would agree but after reading up on these guys they are not your typical late round WR's.  This position is what intrigues me the most going into training camp.  Want to see how these guys do in pads.  With Cobb out with the ankle these guys should get some reps.  If one of them can grab the #3 spot this year that will be encouraging.

Being GM for this fanbase must blow. Expectation is 2 of your 4th-6th round guys are competent starters. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

Yep. I'll be very happy if one of the receivers can become a 3rd (or better) receiver, and another can find a place on ST for a while. Even that is a bit hopeful, but is at least well withing the bounds of probability.

PS Of course it can all fall apart if injuries hit badly again...........in Zep terms 'When The Levee Breaks' (my favourite Zep song).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Gutsey picked three wideouts this year. Compare this year's WR picks to the two from last year: Yancey/Dupree and add Clark, since he was a rookie, and I think this year's guys look like better prospect than last year. Go back to 2014 draft and you have Adams, huge hit but also 2nd round, Janis a All-Pro ST guy and Abbey a injury washout. I still pick this year's group as better prospects from top to bottom. The main point is it's still too early to tell until the pads go on.

9 hours ago, Joe said:

Really?.....We drafted three receivers a few drafts ago and two of the three of them not only made the roster, but one made a crucial catch in a playoff game and was a stallwort on ST. The third of the three had his career end due to concussions and other nagging injuries. Suffice it to say that our offensive coaching staff has consistently done their job in that area. Furthermore, we've seen multiple Day 3 picks become routine All Pro's and/or WR1's. Remember Donald Driver? How about Antonio Brown? Oh and that Dante Hall guy too....

You are teetering on the troll line here...

I don't think it was a troll comment at all.  For every Donald Driver and Antonio Brown there are hundreds of day 3 WRs who turn out like DeAngelo Yancey and Malachi Dupre.  The difference between these 3 prospects and the 2 we drafted last year is minimal at best IMO.  I think these 3 rookies have a much bigger chance of being nothing more than STers than they have of developing into quality starting NFL WRs.

The draft you speak of isn't all that great of an example IMO.  The only rookie that developed into a quality WR is the second round pick, who was a substantially better prospect coming out of college.  Both day 3 picks are still wallowing around in the league.  Abbrederis didn't have his career ended because of injuries, he's just not an overly talented WR.  He was on the Lions roster last year.  Jeff Janis was a very good ST player who wasn't consistent at playing WR.

Edited by SSG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

I like these picks as well.  There is a load of potential.  I think it will be striking gold if even one of them pans out though.  They don't have any more #1 traits than Jeff Janis had, he never developed into a viable WR.

37 minutes ago, SSG said:

I don't think it was a troll comment at all.  For every Donald Driver and Antonio Brown there are hundreds of day 3 WRs who turn out like DeAngelo Yancey and Malachi Dupre.  The difference between these 3 prospects and the 2 we drafted last year is minimal at best IMO.  I think these 3 rookies have a much bigger chance of being nothing more than STers than they have of developing into quality starting NFL WRs.

I think that the three WRs drafted this year are a ton better than Yancey and Dupre.  More upside and equal or better college production.  Not only did neither of the two make the team, they were surpassed by Geronimo Allison and Michael Clark, and the team played Trevor Davis and Jeff Janis over both of them as well.