Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

"Former Green Bay Packers executive Andrew Brandt doesn’t believe the team will reach a new deal with quarterback Aaron Rodgers before the start of training camp. In fact, he’s uncertain a new deal will be completed before the end of 2018"

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/24/former-packers-executive-on-aaron-rodgers-contract-extension/

Edited by Leader

The longer Rodgers waits, the bigger the price tag. Meanwhile, he'll have to be very underpaid (no sarcasm here- when Garoppolo gets a bigger contract for winning five games) at approximately $20 million/year this year, and $21 million next year. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

But, if Rodgers waits until some of these rookie contract QB's are finalized, he would have more ammunition. Or, the Packers could simply stand firm,  refuse to offer an unprecedented contract (such as one based on a percentage of the salary cap), franchise tag him twice, and hope that they have a viable backup to replace him in four years, when AR would be 38. But that kind of treatment for a player of his caliber and character would be a terrible way to end his career as a Packer. Hopefully, the team has learned something from the Favre debacle, because the last thing I want to see is Rodgers in purple, or, a real nightmare, donning a Bears uniform. 

1 hour ago, ricky said:

The longer Rodgers waits, the bigger the price tag. Meanwhile, he'll have to be very underpaid (no sarcasm here- when Garoppolo gets a bigger contract for winning five games) at approximately $20 million/year this year, and $21 million next year. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-rodgers-3745/

But, if Rodgers waits until some of these rookie contract QB's are finalized, he would have more ammunition. Or, the Packers could simply stand firm,  refuse to offer an unprecedented contract (such as one based on a percentage of the salary cap), franchise tag him twice, and hope that they have a viable backup to replace him in four years, when AR would be 38. But that kind of treatment for a player of his caliber and character would be a terrible way to end his career as a Packer. Hopefully, the team has learned something from the Favre debacle, because the last thing I want to see is Rodgers in purple, or, a real nightmare, donning a Bears uniform. 

As long as Rodgers has an exit strategy he’ll be a Packer. Favre didn’t have one.

18 hours ago, Leader said:

"Former Green Bay Packers executive Andrew Brandt doesn’t believe the team will reach a new deal with quarterback Aaron Rodgers before the start of training camp. In fact, he’s uncertain a new deal will be completed before the end of 2018"

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/24/former-packers-executive-on-aaron-rodgers-contract-extension/

Good.  My plan is working.  Win Super Bowl with Rodgers (while our defense holds teams to an average of 18 points a game in the playoffs), inflate Aaron's ego to its maximum level without Rodgers having an ego aneurysm, make him demand a contract impossible to satisfy forcing his trade to the Broncos, who will overpay a QB. 

We get Bradley Chubb and the Bronco's first round draft pick for the next four years. 

Dynasty. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Good.  My plan is working.  Win Super Bowl with Rodgers (while our defense holds teams to an average of 18 points a game in the playoffs), inflate Aaron's ego to its maximum level without Rodgers having an ego aneurysm, make him demand a contract impossible to satisfy forcing his trade to the Broncos, who will overpay a QB. 

We get Bradley Chubb and the Bronco's first round draft pick for the next four years. 

Dynasty. 

Image result for bold plan gif

41 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Dynasty. 

Does Bradley Chubb play quarterback? ?

Just now, Lodestar said:

Does Bradley Chubb play quarterback? ?

Nope, but with three first round picks in 2019 and no need for a franchise EDGE or LT, I'm sure we'd be fine.

Our choices are:

1. Aaron Rodgers for 4 more years, 5 max with no improved draft capital and a weak cap situation.
2. An insane influx of draft capital with a chance to get our QB for the next 12 years and an incredibly healthy cap situation.

Nobody seems willing to accept that Rodgers has 4 years left, 5 max with probably only 3 of him being the Rodgers we know and expect. 

Rodgers does not turn 30 in December.  He turns 35 in December.  We have seen zero evidence of Rodgers being able to play the type of game a 39 year old QB has to play to be effective at 39 years old. 

I'd rather have Tom Brady at 42 than Aaron Rodgers at 39. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Nope, but with three first round picks in 2019 and no need for a franchise EDGE or LT, I'm sure we'd be fine.

Our choices are:

1. Aaron Rodgers for 4 more years, 5 max with no improved draft capital and a weak cap situation.
2. An insane influx of draft capital with a chance to get our QB for the next 12 years and an incredibly healthy cap situation.

Nobody seems willing to accept that Rodgers has 4 years left, 5 max with probably only 3 of him being the Rodgers we know and expect. 

Rodgers does not turn 30 in December.  He turns 35 in December.  We have seen zero evidence of Rodgers being able to play the type of game a 39 year old QB has to play to be effective at 39 years old. 

Choice 1 please.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Our choices are:

While 2 would be best in the long run, no way I could trade away Rodgers. Cherish this time in watching one of the greatest. Don't want to see him doing it anywhere else.