Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Interesting words on Wilkerson from Pepper Johnson:

There seemed to be a lot of drama on the Jets’ D-line when you were there. Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson missing meetings, being late, Sheldon’s arrest and his two suspensions, Wilkerson kind of mailing it in after getting his contract.

I was asked that question: Which one of those guys would I keep, and I chose Snacks [Damon Harrison] because of my experience and what I thought about Mo. I don’t think we’re losing or winning with either one. But with my experience, with what I went through with Mo, that first year, that 2015 year, now supposedly him and Todd had a sit-down, and he was going to get his grits together and all that stuff like that. I didn’t see it, I didn’t think it was going to happen, but they said that afterwards, so I said okay. And they said physically they don’t know how much longer Snacks was going to be able to stand up, cause there were some things physically that they didn’t think he was going to be able to last.

What were the biggest issues with Wilkerson?

When a guy born and raised in a town [Linden, N.J.] and he goes off to college [Temple], but the college is still nearby. Let’s say he’s fortunate enough to have a professional team in that town or still in that state, a lot of those guys aren’t great, historically. You really have to find out that guy’s mentality and how he is with people. The majority of guys that I met—and I can’t say it’s all of them, I can’t say it bats 1.000—they are, they are spoiled, and they have to have things laid out their way. And that’s going to eventually come back to haunt you at a later date because you can’t hand-feed all 53 of your players.

So you’re saying Wilkerson was spoiled?

It’s no fault of his, besides being he wanted to be closer to home when he went to college. And then he gets drafted by the Jets, and the world is his now. Everything is handed to him, so he don’t have to reach. That manhood—and I’m not saying he’s not a man; he’s far from not being a man—but that manhood of going out and having to adjust and having to create in situations, you don’t have that. So now you’re going to get family tugging at him, old friends—all that stuff that once upon a time was great, and it all created the man that he is today. But, at the same token, some people aren’t looking at that the same way, or they want theirs.

So he was too distracted?

Yeah. With the fame comes a lot of distractions. To me, what makes the difference from the athletes that get judged as busts and the athletes that go out and meet qualifications is some guys don’t know how to handle those adjustments and handle those distractions, and some guys do. Some guys know how to handle coaching, and some guys don’t.

2 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

https://ninernoise.com/2018/07/08/49ers-2018-series-linebacker-korey-toomer/

Apparently got halfway decent scores from PFF (mid-high 70s in both run and pass) last season. Had 4.53 speed when drafted in 2012. Bounced around the league a lot. Not a savior but on paper he looks like a nice addition at a spot where we are pretty severely lacking to start the season. Can't say I've watched him play.

12 hours ago, Leader said:

This is the kind of stuff I talk about when we talk about making this moves and them having no risks that nobody remembers. And hell, I was even intrigued by Coleman, I didn't know they had to give him that money, jeesh.

Edited by Norm

Sweet!!  I wanted us to draft Crazy Tony with one of our later picks.  Tbh I'm surprised the Chargers cut him considering the decimation of their secondary but their loss is our gain.  The kid can be an outstanding gunner on special teams.  His speed and athleticism should get him some looks next summer at making the 53.

• Like 1

Sounds like Bob McGinn was a grumpy old man about Nagler and the newish writers coming on board. I'm assuming that's why McGinn left? Or because Mark Murphy went to Milwaukee to as JS what would be done about him and he was asked to leave?

I think there are things the bloggers like Cheeseheadtv, ect can't replace the traditional beat writers on. But if I were a newspaper or beat writer I'd be watching my back on the services bloggers like CHTV are delivering to readers. A bit of a paradigm shift is occurring in how teams are covered, and I think the bloggers who have their crap together stand to gain mightily. 

46m 45 seconds ish

Edited by Arthur Penske

Living in the Cleveland area, I was listening to Cleveland sports radio yesterday and one of the hosts is Dustin Fox, an ex-Buckeye CB/S from around the 2002-2005 time frame, and he was talking about the last Hard Knocks episode where guys are getting cut, so he started talking about his own experience. He was actually drafted in the 3rd round by the Vikings in 2005 I believe, but did not make the team the 2nd year. Started talking about Rick Spielman calling him up and telling him he was being cut, turn in your playbook, etc. So, he goes on to say later that day, his agent informed him that the Packers had claimed him off waivers....but I guess he found out a hour or so later that the Packers did not move forward with the claim because they had also been awarded another DB off of waivers who was "higher priority" to them. 

That defensive back.....Jarrett Bush. The rest is history. 

Edited by packfanfb