Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know how much more you can ask of an UDFA.  Kid has raw skills...and a raw brain.  He needs to be developed, but he's got some nice skills to try to build upon.  

7 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

No for sure, I'm in on the guy. I've said 3 times I like him. People are acting like he's the next Shields and he just doesn't have that innate ability Sam did to mirror his man. I think Tony is a very useful player but he's got a long ways to go before I'd want him starting outside.

Obviously what you wrote it true.

Look at it this way...he was undrafted.  I'd argue every undrafted kid is a project, just like Sammy was.

With Kin'gs soft tissue injuries and Breeland only being here, for sure, for the rest of the year, I'm pretty stoked to know that we have 3 young corners to develop outside of King.  It kind of keeps GB from needing to take another corner relatively high to insure against King's perceived injury risk.

It's okay to be excited about the kid...and unfair to say he's no Sam Shields.  Few are, except that Sam was really the next Tramon.  GB has a nice history of developing UDFA corners.  Heck even Pipkens got us a respectable ILB via a trade, before he was released.  That was a good get for an UDFA.

@vegas492 that's all very fair. I thought Tony was draftable, I just don't want to see him start. He's not the same type of guy as Sam or Tramon.

Hell, I hope I'm wrong about him and he's a stud. But I see a Jarrett Bush who can play a ton of spots at DB but if he's thrust into starting he's gonna get some hate.

I'm not going to pull any gifs or anything so I'm not here to change anyones mind. More or less playing DA to the Herman fella that got quoted.

In an article that mcginn wrote about Brown, the scouts said he's either gonna be in a Pro Bowl or out of the league in 2 years. His nickname is Crazy Tony
“Some say they have never been around anyone like Tony,” an NFL executive in personnel said last year. “Liable to do anything at any time … live wire that will say anything at any time.

"Brown’s score of 31 on the Wonderlic intelligence test was the highest by any cornerback in the 2018 draft. Based on one team’s analytic formula, Brown came out as a better overall athlete than Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson, the cornerbacks drafted in the first two rounds by the Packers "

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

In an article that mcginn wrote about Brown, the scouts said he's either gonna be in a Pro Bowl or out of the league in 2 years. His nickname is Crazy Tony
“Some say they have never been around anyone like Tony,” an NFL executive in personnel said last year. “Liable to do anything at any time … live wire that will say anything at any time.

"Brown’s score of 31 on the Wonderlic intelligence test was the highest by any cornerback in the 2018 draft. Based on one team’s analytic formula, Brown came out as a better overall athlete than Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson, the cornerbacks drafted in the first two rounds by the Packers "

At first I thought that 31 was a typo and you meant to type 13.  Obviously the guy must be very intelligent to score a 31, but his EQ apparently is rock bottom - that, or he's just a very strange bird.  Crazy Tony, LOL.

14 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

@vegas492 that's all very fair. I thought Tony was draftable, I just don't want to see him start. He's not the same type of guy as Sam or Tramon.

Hell, I hope I'm wrong about him and he's a stud. But I see a Jarrett Bush who can play a ton of spots at DB but if he's thrust into starting he's gonna get some hate.

I'm not going to pull any gifs or anything so I'm not here to change anyones mind. More or less playing DA to the Herman fella that got quoted.

Got it.  No worries.

I think that the kid had draftable talent and an undraftable brain/ego.  You are right...that brain is very different than Sam or Tramon when they were young.

And I'll tell you what...I'd take a Jarrett Bush.  Always thought that if Bush was your 5'th or 6'th corner, you were pretty darned good at that position.  Ideally Brown wouldn't be higher than #4.  King, Alexander, Jackson, Brown.

Also agree that with the head he has...if it doesn't change he's gonna be an incredible hit or miss.  I'm unsure if there is much inbetween for him.  What I dislike about him is that attitude and stupidity, some of it reminds me of Ahmad Carrol.  What I do like is the physicality and quickness.

Time will tell what they have there, but at least he is an encouraging UDFA.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Got it.  No worries.

I think that the kid had draftable talent and an undraftable brain/ego.  You are right...that brain is very different than Sam or Tramon when they were young.

And I'll tell you what...I'd take a Jarrett Bush.  Always thought that if Bush was your 5'th or 6'th corner, you were pretty darned good at that position.  Ideally Brown wouldn't be higher than #4.  King, Alexander, Jackson, Brown.

Also agree that with the head he has...if it doesn't change he's gonna be an incredible hit or miss.  I'm unsure if there is much inbetween for him.  What I dislike about him is that attitude and stupidity, some of it reminds me of Ahmad Carrol.  What I do like is the physicality and quickness.

With his athleticism, aggressiveness, and intelligence, if the team can connect with the emotional part of his brain and channel it, especially if he grows up some, then maybe they have something?

48 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Got it.  No worries.

15 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

With his athleticism, aggressiveness, and intelligence, if the team can connect with the emotional part of his brain and channel it, especially if he grows up some, then maybe they have something?

Yes, they would have something.  The question is what?  And have they ever tapped into that kind of brain/ego before?

That's a tough player to get through to.  Maybe they did with JFin.  But they had to deal with the growing pains there...and he was a what, a third round pick?

One has to wonder if Brown will have a similar leash as JFin did, seeing as Brown is an UDFA.

And here's my rub...and keep in mind I'm very encouraged by the kid....but....if he is a nice player, that kind of kid becomes a difficult contract to extend.  But....let's hope it gets that far because that will mean GB found a player.  :)

I'd made the comment that I like the attitude being shown by our DBs. Dave Robinson has a different opinion :)

"HOF-er Dave Robinson: "If I see one more defender celebrate making a tackle ten yards downfield, I'm gonna go onto the field myself and put my foot where the sun don't shine."

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I'd made the comment that I like the attitude being shown by our DBs. Dave Robinson has a different opinion :)

"HOF-er Dave Robinson: "If I see one more defender celebrate making a tackle ten yards downfield, I'm gonna go onto the field myself and put my foot where the sun don't shine."

Dave Robinson wouldn't have made the league in 2018, fight me

35 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Dave Robinson wouldn't have made the league in 2018, fight me

Fight you? I cant say how he'd fit into todays game. Dont know how big he was or his weight and although I think he was pretty big for guys back then cant compare him to today's players other than thinking he might be a too slow for todays game. Cant say I've given it much thought :) 

10 hours ago, Leader said:

Fight you? I cant say how he'd fit into todays game. Dont know how big he was or his weight and although I think he was pretty big for guys back then cant compare him to today's players other than thinking he might be a too slow for todays game. Cant say I've given it much thought :) 

PFR has him listed as 6'3" 245. And he was GB's best LB during the Lombardi years, a better player than Nitschke (this is meant to praise Robinson, not denigrate Uncle Ray).