Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

A Twitter truth:

I tweet a positive/hopeful tweet about the Packers and it’s unrealistic/stupid.
I post a more bleak tweet about the outlook & I’m too negative.

Here’s a cool fact, they could still get the 1st pick or they could still win the Super Bowl.
Choose your own adventure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

They flat out passed us by this year.  They went with a good young offensive mind in Matt Nagy as head coach.  They hit several free agent signing .. Burton, Gabriel, Robinson, etc.  They swung what looks like a great deal for Mack .. it will hurt them draft wise for a few years, but they are pretty much a sure playoff team and have one of the best defenses in football.  After screwing around for years it seems they hit it out of the park this season.  

Gute lost out to them on three key moves ..  Allen Robinson picked the Bears over Packers in free agency.  

Bears matched the offer sheet we put on Kyle Fuller .. he's played at a pro bowl level this year.  

And last but not least .. the Mack Deal.  I would have been fine to deal off both #1s for him .. not sure what Gute offered.  He's elevated the Bears defense to near elite level. 

Bottom line .. they've passed us by. 

What sucks is due to Mack’s success the next time a player like that comes up it’ll be three first round picks.  And so long as teams like the Browns, raiders, bills, jets, etc exist In the nfl that have a prolonged sample size of stupidity, we have to be aware and ready when this happens again.  

Now the question is. Is Mack (or a similar player in the future) worth three first rounders????  If he fundamentally transforms a defense single handedjy, you gotta say yes

2 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

What sucks is due to Mack’s success the next time a player like that comes up it’ll be three first round picks.  And so long as teams like the Browns, raiders, bills, jets, etc exist In the nfl that have a prolonged sample size of stupidity, we have to be aware and ready when this happens again.  

Now the question is. Is Mack (or a similar player in the future) worth three first rounders????  If he fundamentally transforms a defense single handedjy, you gotta say yes

I'm not quite so sure about that. Not taking anything away from Mack - but three first round picks is quite a haul.

An observation: The Bears have sucked for awhile now. Not egregious "Cleveland Brown - oh my god, will this team ever win another game" sucked - but bad enough to have wallowed in the upper echelons of the draft process. Consistently in the top ten? Dont know - dont think so - but close enough that with some shrewd talent evaluations they should be selecting.....if not prime rib.....some nice cuts of beef.

2013 - 8 + 8
2014 - 5 - 11
2015 - 6  - 10
2016 - 3 - 13
2017 - 5 - 11

No need to go back further than 2013. I doubt many (if any) bodies from those later drafts are still around in CHI and affecting their CAP / personnel decisions. The point I'm making is that they probably have been tailoring their roster, CAP contract situations for quite some time. Dropping the under performing / over valued dead wood - and freeing themselves up to make the combined high draft selection and FA splashes that they have. Mack and these other FAs have just come along as natural consequence of a cycle of losing  -  and with Mack - they swung for the seats. He's their "AR" at this point.

Mack (and the opportunity afforded by a bottoming-out OAK organization) just came along at the right time. We shall see how they fair as they climb out of the basement they've been hiding in - up the ladder of success - and drop in the draft rankings.  

Btw - we beat them earlier in the year.....and we could still beat them a few weeks from now. Time will tell.

Edited by Leader

The Bears give me hope that if the Packers do make a move with McCarthy that they can rebound quickly if they land the right guy.  There are a lot of bright offensive minds out there that should appeal to the Packers.  Now that we have an active GM and a solid cap situation we should be able to identify our weak spots and get them addressed in short order.  I'd like to see Gute go even bolder this year .. he threw his hat in the ring on a few things and came up short .. lets start sealing some of these deals and get ourselves positioned for a super bowl run.

• Like 1

It would be nice if we could ever escape the need to use top draft selections on defense only. It'll happen one day. Some day it will occur - that some NAME / kick *** offensive guy is gonna be there for the taking - and we dont have to (again) draft a CB or a LB (or now...) a S.

I can only dream.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

It would be nice if we could ever escape the need to use top draft selections on defense only. It'll happen one day. Some day it will occur - that some NAME / kick *** offensive guy is gonna be there for the taking - and we dont have to (again) draft a CB or a LB (or now...) a S.

I can only dream.

I'll stick with my defensive players in the first round thank you.  Realistically, outside of QB and OT there isn't a position where I'd really consider using a 1st round pick on an offensive player.  We've gone over ad nauseam how valuable IOL are, and they rarely offer the rate of return on them to be worth investing a first round pick into.  Given the short shelf life of RBs, it seems unwise to use a pick on a RB although an elite one (i.e. Saquon Barkley, Ezekiel Elliott, etc.) might make it worth it at a certain point.  While Outpost's train of logic isn't full-proof, he's on the right path.  You can't find a WR whose going to create a situation where the teams wins because of them.  There's an old saying that scheme wins on offense, talent wins on defense.  I'll stick to drafting defensive players with our first round pick.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'll stick with my defensive players in the first round thank you.  Realistically, outside of QB and OT there isn't a position where I'd really consider using a 1st round pick on an offensive player.  We've gone over ad nauseam how valuable IOL are, and they rarely offer the rate of return on them to be worth investing a first round pick into.  Given the short shelf life of RBs, it seems unwise to use a pick on a RB although an elite one (i.e. Saquon Barkley, Ezekiel Elliott, etc.) might make it worth it at a certain point.  While Outpost's train of logic isn't full-proof, he's on the right path.  You can't find a WR whose going to create a situation where the teams wins because of them.  There's an old saying that scheme wins on offense, talent wins on defense.  I'll stick to drafting defensive players with our first round pick.

No, no.....not looking for a WR in the first round or some such thing - just tired of the endless and continual filling of the latest potholes on defense with all our top picks.  Thats all I'm expressing there but there is top talent on offense coming out of college. It does exist. 

Andy Herman:

GB had eleven 3rd downs in which they attempted a pass vs Seattle:

Incomplete
Scramble for 1st
Incomplete
Sack
Complete for 1st
Incomplete
Sack
Sack
Complete for 1st
Sack