Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

30 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Pff scrutiny on OL holds up is what I'm getting here.

May be right. 

Though I reject the premise that Linsley has the impact that one would expect out of a traditional "Top 6 Player" at a position. That isn't an issue with PFF though, that's an issue with interpretation of the data they're presenting. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

May be right. 

Though I reject the premise that Linsley has the impact that one would expect out of a traditional "Top 6 Player" at a position. That isn't an issue with PFF though, that's an issue with interpretation of the data they're presenting. 

How many top 6 centers really have the impact you seem to be looking for?  IOL play is often reflective of the players within that group.  Linsley has been playing along side Lane Taylor and a revolving door at RG the last 2 years.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

How many top 6 centers really have the impact you seem to be looking for?  IOL play is often reflective of the players within that group.  Linsley has been playing along side Lane Taylor and a revolving door at RG the last 2 years.  

I'd argue that Frederick and Mack do have that impact. They're capable of routinely squaring up against good interior rushers in ways that Linsley just isn't capable of with regularity. 

Basically I feel like there's maybe 2 or 3 guys that have that impact and a lot of guys kinda lumped in a pile of "good but not a difference maker". 

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

May be right. 

Not really though.  He's top 6 in the NFL.  That's an indictment against center talent in the NFL, not an indictment on how they're presenting it.  I get what you're saying though.  I wouldn't call Linsley an impact player in this league.  

Its just proof of what I've been saying still.  We've got a fine IOL with extremely little investment.  

I'm not opposed to more investment there, just nothing crazy like a first round investment there.

I could forgive a first round WR or even ILB with the Saints pick.  Not IOL.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

@AlexGreen#20  Thanks for providing your thoughts.

Frederick has not played in 2018.  He should be back in 2019, but it is still an unknown what he will be coming back from the Guillione -Barre syndrome illness.  Neurological issues like that are always an uncertainty.  

In the end, I think GB is getting pretty solid value from the Linsley with the contract he has.  

I think it is a long shot he comes back to play.

In spite of that, I see Linsley as middle of the road. 

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Frederick is still the top of the class in my book. Those drive skills are special.

Mack is slowing down a bit, but that's a spot you can play until your 35 and he's a pro's pro.

Pouncey is also slowing down from being just an overwhelmingly good athlete at that spot to being more of a traditional pivot.

Kelce is rock solid in there.

Kalil isn't the man he once was, but that's still a good ball player.

Linder has been down most of the year, but he's stronger and quicker than Linsley when right. 

I've always felt Richburg is a bit overrated, but he's in a heavy clump of guys including Linsley, so maybe that grade isn't terrible for Linsley. 

Maybe I'm just being overly negative on the guy, but even if he is a top 6 Center, I'm not seeing "Top 10 Impact".

Maybe I am just too harsh on him though. We've been doing something right running the ball at least. 

I think he's the 3rd best lineman we have behind Bulaga and Bak which isn't bad at all.  Happy with those 3 ... we need 2 guards and health not to mention adequate backups.

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Not really though.  He's top 6 in the NFL.  That's an indictment against center talent in the NFL, not an indictment on how they're presenting it.  I get what you're saying though.  I wouldn't call Linsley an impact player in this league.  

Its just proof of what I've been saying still.  We've got a fine IOL with extremely little investment.  

I'm not opposed to more investment there, just nothing crazy like a first round investment there.

I could forgive a first round WR or even ILB with the Saints pick.  Not IOL.

I just can't get my head around calling the IOL fine ... just can't.  Both guards a barely adequate when healthy.  We need more than just adequate.  Agree we don't need a 1st round pick for IOL but don't have any problem with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round and more than 1 drafted.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Certainly not helped by our less than stellar pass rush for most of the year, especially after the injuries started to our front 7, but man.....that Brice number xDxD

Breeland, King, Alexander, Campbell (I was impressed with his tackling), and Jones, there's the five starters. Brown and Jackson were rookies and should improve. To be safe I would add a veteran S like Boston. The key is keeping everyone healthy, and teaching them how to tackle. 

I admit I was wrong about Brice. He has to go. Pleasant was just an emergency add. Williams is done. Will Redmon, a FA S, and Raven Green might replace them.