Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Am I the only one that really likes Martinez?  When he can run free, man, he knocks guys backwards.  He seems very instinctive, too.  I wish we could have seen him with Daniels and Mo in front of him more.

I think the key to that ILB position is two fold...find another one to pair with Martinez and keeping those DL fresh and healthy in front of him.

Okay, as I typed that, is a "duh" post...but....do others like Martinez or is he "meh"?

I like him. He racks up tackles, but that's about it. He's nothing spectacular.

27 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Am I the only one that really likes Martinez?  When he can run free, man, he knocks guys backwards.  He seems very instinctive, too.  I wish we could have seen him with Daniels and Mo in front of him more.

I think the key to that ILB position is two fold...find another one to pair with Martinez and keeping those DL fresh and healthy in front of him.

Okay, as I typed that, is a "duh" post...but....do others like Martinez or is he "meh"?

i love Martinez. you can certainly do worse. hes a good kid, good leader and plays his tail off. he might not have that top flight athleticism or instincts you look for but hes solid. i hope he stays in GB his entire career. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I have been praising Blake since the day he was drafted.

He is the best inside linebacker in Green Bay since Desmond Bishop.

But, Blake is not a great athlete and is not much of a playmaker. 

You are 100% right that another, more athletic ILBer is needed to pair with Martinez.

Was really hoping Burks would emerge as that complementary player and his drafting in the 3rd round shows GB finally recognizes the need.

Hope someone emerges at that spot in 2019.

10 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

From Rob Demovsky: 

The Packers used 32 defensive players in 2018, 2 more than in any season since ‘13 & 8 more than in ‘14. Injuries hit even harder on special teams, where they used 63 different players – 5 more than in ‘17 and 10 more than in ‘16.

I think Martinez was really our only healthy starter throughout the year. I get the next man up no excuses mentality, even Pettine preached that, but when you have to have that many moving bodies in and out  on Defense it's not gonna lead to good results.

Pagans was coordinator in Baltimore for one year.  Pretty sure that defense improved after he left, and was better before he took over.  

Also, glad we fired Whitt.  I want as many McCarthy holdovers as possible gone.  I want Pettine to essentially be the head coach of the defense and build his own staff.  If we're not going elsewhere like I wanted, better give him every opportunity to make the defense the way he wants it.  

13 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I like Martinez. I also liked AJ Hawk.  Martinez was a better draft value, but I think - if you're being honest- his comp IS AJ Hawk.  Steady and sure, but nothing exciting.  Tons of tackles but NO turnovers.  Devin White at #12 isn't bat**** crazy.

4 hours ago, YaddaHolla said:

Lol cowboys fans are still adamant that if that was called a catch they would’ve won. Rodgers was playing on one leg and still would’ve led the Pack on a game winning drive

The funny thing is they could have called that a TD and Rodgers would have drive right down the feild and won it. 

I think it's 11 years ago today that the Packers played the Seahawks in the divisional playoff snow game. This was the game that cemented my fandom for the Packers after liking them for over a year. You can watch the full game on youtube.

I still don't understand the 2nd Seahawks TD the receiver only had one feet inbounds - were you allowed to score TDs with just one feet in way back then? I don't remember that.

12 minutes ago, Chili said:

don't understand the 2nd Seahawks TD the receiver only had one feet inbounds - were you allowed to score TDs with just one feet in way back then? I don't remember that

Probably the push-out rule.  There used to be a rule where if a defender pushed the receiver and kept him from getting two feet in, the receiver was given the catch. 

Grading the Pack - End of Year Review 2018 Lowest Graded Defensive Players

Clay Matthews -9.30
Nick Perry -7.65
Reggie Gilbert -7.10
Kentrell Brice -6.20
HaHa Clinton-Dix -5.95

"The fact Brian Gutekunst was able to get a 4th round pick out of Washington made it one of the most shocking moves of the entire season. There is no question that Washington completely regrets that trade at this point.

"there is no way that either Clay or Perry should be on this team in 2019 as it’s time to completely rebuild the edge position from the ground up."

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/grading-the-pack-end-of-year-review-2018-506

2 hours ago, Chili said:

I think it's 11 years ago today that the Packers played the Seahawks in the divisional playoff snow game. This was the game that cemented my fandom for the Packers after liking them for over a year. You can watch the full game on youtube.

I still don't understand the 2nd Seahawks TD the receiver only had one feet inbounds - were you allowed to score TDs with just one feet in way back then? I don't remember that.

Force-out rule was still in effect in 2007:

"A pass is completed or intercepted, or a loose ball recovered, if the player inbounds would have landed inbounds with both feet but is carried or pushed out of bounds while in possession of the ball in the air or before the second foot touches the ground inbounds by an opponent. The player must maintain possession of the ball when he lands out of bounds. "

6 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Force-out rule was still in effect in 2007:

"A pass is completed or intercepted, or a loose ball recovered, if the player inbounds would have landed inbounds with both feet but is carried or pushed out of bounds while in possession of the ball in the air or before the second foot touches the ground inbounds by an opponent. The player must maintain possession of the ball when he lands out of bounds. "

That force-out rule was perhaps the dumbest NFL rule of all-time ... just terrible,