Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think this is probably the real reason as well. There were difference of opinion on organizational authority more likely.

TBH, I think Rizzi wanted to explore his options and the Packers respected that.  They probably talked numbers, but Rizzi wanted to shop that offer elsewhere.  A few days after Rizzi left, we started hearing more names linked to the Packers' ST gig.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't know what S/T coordinators make in the NFL, but it goes without saying that Rizzi should receive payola in the top 5 range in the league.  He's got the stats to back up the high price tag.  If you are serious about special teams you hire the best available.  For the guy to make a visit there had to be certain agreements and levels of interest. 

What was his rankings over the last few years?

In Gosselin’s special teams rankings, the Dolphins under Rizzi ranked in the top 10 five times and only ranked in the second half of the league once — in Rizzi’s first year.

4th in 2018, 11th in ‘17, seventh in ’16, 16th in ’15, 12th in ’14, eighth in ’13, fourth in ’12, second in ’11 and 24th in ’10.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We're not saving money, at least not this year.

read my previous post. 

24 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

We did find the dough. We still have to pay McCarthy this year, but LaFleur's contract starting in 2020 is stated to be $5m, and Mike's was $9m. 

That's what I'm frustrated about. Stretch the extra $5m we are going to pay LaFleur in 2019 over the 4 years of his contract and that is $1.25m per year, meaning we are saving apx $2.75m per year on our HC salary. 

14 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

read my previous post. 

This year we are paying 2 head coaches, so CWood is correct, there's no savings this year, it's the opposite. We'll see a decrease from LaFleur to what a Mac extension would be starting next year probably, but for this year it's probably the most the Packers have ever spent on their coaching staff. Remember any guy like Zook, Philbin, Cingretti etc that don't get another job are owed money from us too.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This year we are paying 2 head coaches, so CWood is correct, there's no savings this year, it's the opposite. We'll see a decrease from LaFleur to what a Mac extension would be starting next year probably, but for this year it's probably the most the Packers have ever spent on their coaching staff. Remember any guy like Zook, Philbin, Cingretti etc that don't get another job are owed money from us too.

This should have zero bearing on the decision making process.

If other organizations are getting mad that we're "overpaying" for assistants, tell them to screw off.

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Again, I said that too..... What I said is that over the life of LaFleur's 4 year contract, we are saving money as we would be signing Rizzi to a multi-year deal as well. Not sure what the confusion is here, yes in 2019 we are paying two salaries which will be $5m more than previous years, and then 2020-2022 without a restructure we will be paying $4m less each year for HC. It averages over the 4 years to $2.75m in savings per year. 

Was there ever any grumbling from our Special Team staff or players that the units had too little time to prepare after the offense and defense had run their activities?

Our units have been so bad for so long one wonders if the mediocrity was baked into the cake by a structural lack of attention that the ST coaching couldn't overcome.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Was there ever any grumbling from our Special Team staff or players that the units had too little time to prepare after the offense and defense had run their activities?

Our units have been so bad for so long one wonders if the mediocrity was baked into the cake by a structural lack of attention that the ST coaching couldn't overcome.

The line I've always heard peddled is that the same injuries that devestated the secondary and linebacker position groups killed the ST units. 

Which makes sense in a way. If you IR the starting CB, his backup who used to focus primarily on ST, is moved up to bring a starter. He's typically replaced on ST by the guy you signed off the street or the practice squad guy who has no active reps. You don't get the practice time. 

Or you leave the guy who is now your starting CB on specials, and risk him being dead for the defensive series, or risk him getting hurt on specials and then you're well and truly screwed.

Alternatively, ST really comes down to like 6 players over the course of the year.

Kickoff Returns should be a moot point. Touchback every opportunity, or let your least fumble prone runner be the returner on any kick not into the endzone. The 2 TDs in a season you'd be lucky to get just aren't worth the risk. 

On kickoffs, the math says you should try and kick the kickoff as deep as possible so that the other team can't get a touchback and try to cover it. However the advantage is so slight, if you're a good team, you probably should kick it out of the back of the endzone anyway because it's not worth the statistical variance.

Field Goals are about Kicker/Long Snapper/Holder. Just don't screw up the blocking. FGs are rarely blocked barring just complete stupidity from blockers.

Field Goal coverage, I'd almost argue isn't worth trying to block. Just don't give up the first down. If you're lucky, you'll block 1 per year. You'll likely give up 3 or 4 first downs on penalties and fakes. That's what needs to be taken care of. 

Punts are about the Punter and Gunners. Protection is protection. We lost out huge in the gunner role this year without having Davis or Janis. I'd bet Scott was about the same as Vogel in isolation but the Gunners were the difference. 

Punt return, don't fumble it. Punters are so damn good today it's ridiculous. I want to say it was something like 10 punters had allowed zero return yards through 8 weeks. Don't turn it over and don't give up first downs on fakes.

We sucked on ST this year because:

Crosby sucked

We kept fumbling on punt returns because no Davis.

Our punt coverage sucked because no Janis/Davis. 

We gave up first downs/TDs on fakes because our players are poorly prepared/unaware/dumb.

The fourth one is on Zook. You could argue the 3rd one was on Zook for not developing anybody better for it, but our young DBs fell apart and the guys we knew could play it were injured and not resigned.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This should have zero bearing on the decision making process.

If other organizations are getting mad that we're "overpaying" for assistants, tell them to screw off.

Let's have GB turn into the CIN and be the cheapest in the NFL for coaching staff, scouting department, etc.  That seems like a good way to go about returning to the playoffs.