Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So I saw two things about the AAF that made me like it, both of which probably make me a bad person: 

1. I saw a QB get hit hard, with a proper form tackle that had some minor incidental helmet to helmet contact. His helmet flew off (AJ Hawk style) and no flag was thrown.

2. A receiver running a deep route got hit just as the ball was arriving. There was incidental helmet to helmet contact. No flag was thrown. 

Weird as hell watching players moving without that hesitation. Even if they are scrubs.

They've got nothing to lose. At the nfl level though... 

27 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

In the NFL, 4th and 12 has a 19% success rate. The year before the rules change, onside success rate was 23% (over the past decade it’s been lower than that though though). It’s in the right ballpark. 

Man I swore it was like low teens this year that I saw on TV. I'm not a super math man but why does it have to be 4th and 12? Like I feel the percentage of any down and 12 and converting on that down has to be higher

Edit: didn't read before the rule changes

Edited by Norm

20 minutes ago, Norm said:

Man I swore it was like low teens this year that I saw on TV. I'm not a super math man but why does it have to be 4th and 12? Like I feel the percentage of any down and 12 and converting on that down has to be higher

Onside kicks this year? I'm pretty sure the success rate was in the single digits. Equating to a waste of time. The new rule killed it as an effective tool IMO. 

• Like 1

Kruse:

Potential cut candidate to watch for the Packers: Raiders G Kelechi Osemele.

Two-time Pro Bowler drafted by the Ravens out of Iowa State in 2012. Who was the Ravens midwest scout in 2012? New Packers director of football operations Milt Hendrickson. Obvious need at guard.

Google:

Kicking teams have recovered three of 34 onside attempts this season, an 8 percent success rate that pales in comparison to last year's 23 percent conversion rate when 13 of 55 onside kicks were recovered by the kicking team. Over the last decade, that success rate has hovered around 15 percent. (Nov 22, 2018)

3 of 34 attempts? Not worth the effort.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Kruse:

Two-time Pro Bowler drafted by the Ravens out of Iowa State in 2012. Who was the Ravens midwest scout in 2012? New Packers director of football operations Milt Hendrickson. Obvious need at guard.

It would be a stark difference in the type of OL that GB generally targets. GB has predominantly gone for guys that test well in the shuttle and 3-cone (and are usually more towards the middle or slightly below middle in terms of size), and Osemele doesn't fit that profile at all.

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

Kruse:

10 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

It would be a stark difference in the type of OL that GB generally targets. GB has predominantly gone for guys that test well in the shuttle and 3-cone (and are usually more towards the middle or slightly below middle in terms of size), and Osemele doesn't fit that profile at all.

That is what I find most interesting now....new GM, new coach, presumably new scheme...we may see GB deviate from their old "norm" like they did with Alexander and his lack of height.  Makes the off-season oh so more interesting with the new regime in GB.

46 minutes ago, Norm said:

I think surprise onside kicks bring it up a bit because they had a far higher success rate, but they’re also pretty rare. Realistically, you’re probably looking at about a 15% success rate for expected onside kicks before the rule changes. After the rule changes, it’s like 8%

Just now, vegas492 said:

That is what I find most interesting now....new GM, new coach, presumably new scheme...we may see GB deviate from their old "norm" like they did with Alexander and his lack of height.  Makes the off-season oh so more interesting with the new regime in GB.

And that's the thing... I don't know what the new norms are. Aside from Jaire's height (5/8" short of threshold), Gute followed the TT thresholds the whole way down EXCEPT for Cole Madison, an OL. I don't know if Madison was a one-time change or if GB is going to switch up how they acquire OL. Honestly, I think it would be a massive mistake to change what they were doing. They were able to assemble what was an elite OL for years (Bahk/Sitton/Linsley(Tretter)/Lang/Bulaga) with only one significant piece of draft capital (Bulaga's 1st round pick). The model they used worked, so it'd be a real shame to see them change it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

And that's the thing... I don't know what the new norms are. Aside from Jaire's height (5/8" short of threshold), Gute followed the TT thresholds the whole way down EXCEPT for Cole Madison, an OL. I don't know if Madison was a one-time change or if GB is going to switch up how they acquire OL. Honestly, I think it would be a massive mistake to change what they were doing. They were able to assemble what was an elite OL for years (Bahk/Sitton/Linsley(Tretter)/Lang/Bulaga) with only one significant piece of draft capital (Bulaga's 1st round pick). The model they used worked, so it'd be a real shame to see them change it.

Change is a tough word, especially when you look at those results.  I see them doing more of a "tweak" than a change.  

Real question for yah...do you see Spriggs working out long term?  

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Change is a tough word, especially when you look at those results.  I see them doing more of a "tweak" than a change.  

Real question for yah...do you see Spriggs working out long term?  

I think Spriggs is a competent OT but not a great one. His athleticism is virtually unparalleled: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jason-spriggs

His problem is two-fold: He gets beat with inside moves, which doesn't allow him to use his athleticism very well. He needs to be stronger and he needs to stop trying to dance with pass rushers. His ceiling is still super high, but at some point, you are what you are.

Edited by rcon14

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

As the Packers are going to be running Shanahan's ZBS, I understand this system requires OLmen who can move and have a certain level of athleticism. Since the Packers have always operated this way I expect the way we scout OL will not change much, even with Hendrickson in the mix. We've always targeted athletic OT as potential guards. Our current OL scouting philosophy meshes well with our OL scheme. I suspect what Hendrickson will provide is to fine tune the way we scout OL and make us more proficient at identifying the best OL prospects. He will have to move away from the big and heavy philosophy that he's used to at Baltimore. I'm sure Hendrickson influence will extend far more than just OL.

I remember reading somewhere that he would improve our TE scouting considering the Ravens regularly draft TEs but they quickly forget that they have SUCKED in drafting TEs. They haven't made a good selection since Dennis Pitta in 2010. Since 2010 they used top 3 draft picks on Ed Dickson, Crockett Gilmore, Maxx Williams, Hayden Hurst - all busted. In the process they were forced to dip into free agency by bringing in Dallas Clark, Ben Watson, Owen Daniels.

Edited by Chili