Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

19 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

And yet Blake Martinez just doesn't do it for some people because he's not super duper fast and we need a first round ILB.  Like Roquan Smith. 

I’ll never get the people who refuse to like Martinez. Guys a good player and gives it everything he’s got.

Would be real nice if Burks made a huge jump too.

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

I’ll never get the people who refuse to like Martinez. Guys a good player and gives it everything he’s got.

It's really simple.  People here refuse to accept that a player is really good if they don't make flashy plays.  Roquan Smith is wildly overrated here because he's fast.  They attribute the plays Martinez DOES make to luck. 

70% of people on this Packer subforum would take Roquan Smith over Blake Martinez.  They point to his sacks (which were in thanks to Mack) and say he's better, flashier, quicker, faster and better than Martinez.  They neglect the fact that Martinez had the exact same amount of sacks. 

They want Lavar Arrington.  They don't care that those fast linebackers are just as capable of blowing coverage.  They'll point to Smith's interception and neglect that it was thrown directly to him. 

It's also draft pick bias.  They look at Smith and think he's got to be better since he was drafted in the first round. 

I'm not kidding when I say that 90% of this subforum did NOT want to re-sign Bakhtiari.  He couldn't possibly be as good or become as good as his early years suggested he would be. 

Blake Martinez is probably the best ILB in the division, and yet half of this board would trade him for Jarrad Davis because Davis is fast and was a first round pick. 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

70% of people on this Packer subforum would take Roquan Smith over Blake Martinez.  They point to his sacks (which were in thanks to Mack) and say he's better, flashier, quicker, faster and better than Martinez.  They neglect the fact that Martinez had the exact same amount of sacks. 

100 percent of GM's in the NFL would take Roquan Smith over Blake Martinez.  Martinez has reached his ceiling, while Roquan still can get a lot better.  I like Martinez .. he's a good player .. just doesn't have the upside of Roquan Smith.  Martinez has far outperformed his draft slot though.

• Like 2

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

100 percent of GM's in the NFL would take Roquan Smith over Blake Martinez.  Martinez has reached his ceiling, while Roquan still can get a lot better.  I like Martinez .. he's a good player .. just doesn't have the upside of Roquan Smith.  Martinez has far outperformed his draft slot though.

Yeah, and 0% of NFL GMs would take current Blake Martinez over rookie Roquan Smith.
12% of NFL GMs would take Roquan Smith at the expense of a top 10 pick over Blake Martinez at the expense of a 4th. 

• Like 1

I'm a pretty big Martinez fan.  Great instincts.  Rarely takes a wrong first step.  And when he hits you, you go backwards.  Love the kid.

Would love it very much if we can pair him with another quality ILB.  I don't know if White has the instincts for #12 in the draft, but I would like another ILB to be brought in.  Maybe a Hicks from Philly.  Or better yet, Mack Wilson.  He's not getting enough love at the end of round one or early round two.  And that is where you should take ILBs.

From AcmePacking:

The Green Bay Packers need pass-rushers. You know it, I know it, everybody associated with the NFL knows it. And in a revelation that is sure to shock nobody, ESPN’s Mel Kiper appears to be the only one who does not appreciate the serious of that need.

For the first example, let’s look at Kiper’s projection for the Packers’ selection at the 12th overall pick. He has the team taking wide receiver Marquise Brown from Oklahoma.

Then, 18 picks later, Kiper again chooses not to land an outside linebacker, instead projecting Michigan off-ball linebacker Devin Bush to Green Bay.