Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 hours ago, n8ghee said:

God dammit I’m so pumped he’s gone. Only took 4 years longer than I would have hoped.

Agreed .. wish they would have parted ways after the debacle in Seattle at the end of the 14' season.  I do hope he gets his stuff together though .. worry about him a bit with his brother passing away at an early age with a heart attack.

15 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

You know, it wasn't that long ago that anyone suggesting that McCarthy was untested as a coach beyond being a warm body with a HoF quarterback and that the team might consider firing him was met with a maelstrom of pushback saying that McCarthy wouldn't last ten minutes on the street before being hired by his next NFL team.

I am surprised that he is unravelling in this way, though. Prep referees suck pretty badly, and they suck because so few knowledgeable sports fans want to subject themselves to the abuse.

Just now, blueswedeshoes said:

You know, it wasn't that long ago that anyone suggesting that McCarthy was untested as a coach beyond being a warm body with a HoF quarterback and that the team might consider firing him was met with a maelstrom of pushback saying that McCarthy wouldn't last ten minutes on the street before being hired by his next NFL team.

I am surprised that he is unravelling in this way, though. Prep referees suck pretty badly, and they suck because so few knowledgeable sports fans want to subject themselves to the abuse.

There is still no excuse for an adult to follow a referee and verbally abuse/throw a tirade.   I do not give 2 ****s who you are, unless you are willing to put on the referees shirt and do that job, just sit your *** down and watch the game.

I watched that Mac video, looked to me like a little stumble when he left the bleachers and hit the floor.  Maybe he enjoyed a cocktail or two?  And....that dude needs to diet, and soon.  Much respect for what he did here, for his longevity, I hope he can shed some weight and live a longer life.  It would be great to honor him at a game in 10-15 years.

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I watched that Mac video, looked to me like a little stumble when he left the bleachers and hit the floor.  Maybe he enjoyed a cocktail or two?  And....that dude needs to diet, and soon.  Much respect for what he did here, for his longevity, I hope he can shed some weight and live a longer life.  It would be great to honor him at a game in 10-15 years.

I mean I agree but ultimately he yelled at a ref after a basketball game and apologized. If that makes you a deadbeat, I think about 75% of the sports parents I was around growing up are deadbeats.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

I mean I agree but ultimately he yelled at a ref after a basketball game and apologized. If that makes you a deadbeat, I think about 75% of the sports parents I was around growing up are deadbeats.

I'm not on the "deadbeat" train.  He showed poor judgement for whatever reason.  It's a deal, but not a big deal.  It's a big deal because of who he is.  I just hope that the guy can drop some weight and live a longer, healthier life.

Just now, vegas492 said:

I'm not on the "deadbeat" train.  He showed poor judgement for whatever reason.  It's a deal, but not a big deal.  It's a big deal because of who he is.  I just hope that the guy can drop some weight and live a longer, healthier life.

yeah exactly, he's gotta have a better mind because of his status, but I'd be lying if I said i never shared words with a ref.

30 minutes ago, squire12 said:

There is still no excuse for an adult to follow a referee and verbally abuse/throw a tirade.   I do not give 2 ****s who you are, unless you are willing to put on the referees shirt and do that job, just sit your *** down and watch the game.

Agreed. I didn't mean to denigrate officials so much as to suggest that horrible parents are helping to limit the pool of individuals willing to officiate games.

McCarthy was always known to be a classy guy, even if his coaching skills were in doubt. This was a sad story.

We're only talking about someone blowing up on a ref because of who it is. One of my teammates dad's was known for his epic tirades at both the refs and the other team. It was comical, but didn't make any headlines.

This is a non-story peddled on a slow news day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueswedeshoes said:

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. To me it looks like you're just taking the opportunity to crap on someone who's already been fired. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 6:50 AM, Arthur Penske said:

I pick the Stallions as my team then they go do this to me. Just when I thought the nightmare was over.

Any word on whether last year's Offensive Coordinator (Philbin) or Assistant Head Coach (Moss) have landed jobs yet?

In the AAF or otherwise?

I'm going to go off a little on the McCarthy/ref thing.  I reffed high school basketball and umped baseball and softball for over 30 years.  Also was a high school head coach for a number of years.   My kids all played high school sports and now my grand kids are playing.   I've seen it all and heard it all.  Point being; do not live your sports objectives through your kids/grand kids.  They are playing for themselves, not for you.  Disturbing to see anyone (especially a coach) go off on a ref or ump and think they made a difference or it makes them feel better.  Anybody going to any non professional athletic event should appreciate it for what it is ... a contest for the players, the enjoyment for the fans and the pure fun of the entire event.     

• Like 2

3 hours ago, coachbuns said:

I'm going to go off a little on the McCarthy/ref thing.  I reffed high school basketball and umped baseball and softball for over 30 years.  Also was a high school head coach for a number of years.   My kids all played high school sports and now my grand kids are playing.   I've seen it all and heard it all.  Point being; do not live your sports objectives through your kids/grand kids.  They are playing for themselves, not for you.  Disturbing to see anyone (especially a coach) go off on a ref or ump and think they made a difference or it makes them feel better.  Anybody going to any non professional athletic event should appreciate it for what it is ... a contest for the players, the enjoyment for the fans and the pure fun of the entire event.     

I tend to agree, and this goes doubly so when you're Mike freakin' McCarthy, I would think