Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Ben Fennell:  I think the Amos/HHCD discussion is deep. HHCD has made the impact plays (turnovers) but hasn't been a consistent down-to-down performer. Amos, hasn't made the same volume of splash plays but has been a reliable & 'safe' member of dominate collective unit.

Andy Herman: I need to watch more Amos, for sure, but in 2 years of watching HaHa there was no redeemable quality for me. The INTs were fine but having a big play every 4 games didn’t wipe out his play throughout the season, not close. But I respect your opinion more than anyone’s hands down.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ben Fennell:  I think the Amos/HHCD discussion is deep. HHCD has made the impact plays (turnovers) but hasn't been a consistent down-to-down performer. Amos, hasn't made the same volume of splash plays but has been a reliable & 'safe' member of dominate collective unit.

Andy Herman: I need to watch more Amos, for sure, but in 2 years of watching HaHa there was no redeemable quality for me. The INTs were fine but having a big play every 4 games didn’t wipe out his play throughout the season, not close. But I respect your opinion more than anyone’s hands down.

How gentlemanly of Andy lol

10 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Am I the only one that isn't concerned about the cap space in 2020?  The cap is $26m, cutting Graham and Lane Taylor would add $12m to the $26m, $38m is more then they had this year.

Plus no Nick Perry money

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

Am I the only one that isn't concerned about the cap space in 2020?  The cap is $26m, cutting Graham and Lane Taylor would add $12m to the $26m, $38m is more then they had this year.

And if the cap raises another 10 million as expected, there's 48 million.

1 hour ago, Packer Dave said:

And if the cap raises another 10 million as expected, there's 48 million.

Cap increases are pretty irrelevant IMO, it just inflates every single contract. It's not extra money for anyone. Makes what ya got under contract look better as times goes by though.

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jleisher said:

I'm not concerned, but...

Bulaga, Spriggs, Clark (can use 5'th year option), Lowry, Fackrell and Martinez are free agents.

I"m thinking GB will re-sign a few off of that list and that will be about it for our free agency next year.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not concerned, but...

Bulaga, Spriggs, Clark (can use 5'th year option), Lowry, Fackrell and Martinez are free agents.

I"m thinking GB will re-sign a few off of that list and that will be about it for our free agency next year.

Martinez is the only one I'm paying unless Fackrell improves. 8-9 per is my max for Blake, see ya if he goes over that. If we spend 30m on that group I'll be severely disappointed.

We should be replacing Daniels with a FA DL next year depending on what the draft brings.

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Martinez is the only one I'm paying unless Fackrell improves. 8-9 per is my max for Blake, see ya if he goes over that. If we spend 30m on that group I'll be severely disappointed.

We should be replacing Daniels with a FA DL next year depending on what the draft brings.

No matter what, Clark is on the roster at a value higher than he is today, so he's a "lock".  I want Blake, too, and I see the same value you do.

I also think that Lowry has value.

Those are the 3 that I'd "want" right now.  

And yes, I see this year's draft being tied to those guys next year.  

My point was this...I think GB's free agency this year will not be like last year.  More focus on retaining what we have.  I'm not worried or anything, but I don't think free agency next year will be like this year with 4 outside signings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

No matter what, Clark is on the roster at a value higher than he is today, so he's a "lock".  I want Blake, too, and I see the same value you do.

I also think that Lowry has value.

Those are the 3 that I'd "want" right now.  

And yes, I see this year's draft being tied to those guys next year.  

My point was this...I think GB's free agency this year will not be like last year.  More focus on retaining what we have.  I'm not worried or anything, but I don't think free agency next year will be like this year with 4 outside signings.

I honestly think the four guys we signed are bridge players. They'll serve as solid starters that will make Pettine's defense reliable, not bend don't break as we've been accustomed for so long. Do bear in mind that we're a far better position cap-wise than we were when TT took over. I suspect TT would've made similar moves if he were just taking things over.

If our free agent splash this year wasn't enough for two years, Gute doesn't know how to use free agency.  

We have six picks in the first four rounds.  At least 4 of those should be starters by next year.  We've got nothing to worry about as far as free agency next year other than retaining our own.

• Like 1