Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

30 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Our oline coach was from gb, he was a reputation that proceeds him as a top oline coach in the nfl. 

I was curious as to the type of run blocking you all employed under his coaching.

In short, we didn't. That's why he's your coach now.

The Packers were mostly a zone blocking team, preferring to draft college OTs to play guard because tackles generally have the best feet, movement and athleticism is emphasised over strength. Zone blockers need to have flexible hinges (hips, knees, ankles) quick feet and good vision. 

While I disliked Campen in his early years with the Packers, over time I thought the O line's problems (back then) were more about who he was given to work with, rather than his own failings. Once he started getting better linemen, the Packers O line started playing well. They were never known as a good run blocking unit, but they were a very good pass blocking group, which is what the Packers emphasised, having Aaron Rodgers under center.

Pass pro was especially difficult for Packers O linemen, with the way Rodgers often moved around the pocket to buy time, and for his tendency to wait until the last second before signalling for the ball to be snapped, so the opposition pretty much knew when to rush and 'pinned their ears back'.

Under Campen, in his later years with the Packers, they liked to employ blocking where the O lineman gets his hands outside of his opponent rather than inside on the chest, aiming for his hands on the shoulder pads, which allows him good control and makes it easier to steer his adversary, it is difficult to counter. You have to be careful employing this technique, grip the opponents shoulder pads too much and you could get called for holding, so while it IS effective, it treads a fine line between legal and illegal.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Our oline coach was from gb, he was a reputation that proceeds him as a top oline coach in the nfl. 

I was curious as to the type of run blocking you all employed under his coaching.

Ryan Grant said that when he went to the Redskins they practiced the run game more in one day than the Packers did all week. Obviously that's not on Campen - but the Head Coach.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I wonder if there's any particular reason.  Doesn't seem like there's a corresponding move.

Probably because the knee wasn't responding well. He tore damn near everything in his knee at the same time, and he probably has never been quite right since then. 

3 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Probably because the knee wasn't responding well. He tore damn near everything in his knee at the same time, and he probably has never been quite right since then. 

That's a distinct possibility. Nasty injury

Also might be a scenario where he and his agent asked to be released post-draft... to go someplace where they have a better shot of catching on.
Cole Madison's surprise return + Billy Turner + Elgton Jenkins pushed him down the depth chart.
( which looks very different today than it did in mid-December when he first came to GB)

• Like 2

I don't see any player additions to the offense that should greatly elevate the points production. That said, healthy returning veterans could boost the offensive play in 2019. Reality however suggest the injuries will occur. Some new depth has been added but the loss of any 1st squad players will negatively affect the team

On Defense, where most of the offseason attention has been focused, I see another year of improvement. However without a defensive star (like a Reggie White or a Khalil Mack  type of player) they can only rise to an above average defense. Mike Daniels is certainly a force, but he is just short of being a real star player. 

I don't see the Packers winning their division in 2019. The determining factor will be the play of the offensive receivers. The WR/TE/RBs will need to step better than last season and GET OPEN. If that area does show improvement, I'll be prepared to change my current opinion of the Packers.  B|