Jump to content
Leader

Random Packer News & Notes

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not 100% sure this year's duo is better than last year's. Strong argument to be made HHCD is the best of that quad.

But Amos and Savage aren't 2 and 3 in the quad? I think Savages upside in coverage looks more promising than what Brice could ever offer.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not 100% sure this year's duo is better than last year's. Strong argument to be made HHCD is the best of that quad, at least when he's right.

Just not sure I’ve ever seen that. Even in his pro bowl season Dix has never shown me much. Amos by himself exceeds what we had last year. Your caveat says it all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

But Amos and Savage aren't 2 and 3 in the quad? I think Savages upside in coverage looks more promising than what Brice could ever offer.

I think people need to pump the brakes on the rookie expectations a bit with regard to Savage. Clearly more talented than Brice, but Brice had also seen it for a year going into the year. Savage is green as grass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think people need to pump the brakes on the rookie expectations a bit with regard to Savage. Clearly more talented than Brice, but Brice had also seen it for a year going into the year. Savage is green as grass.

What exactly had Brice been seeing?   There were times what he was seeing was not worth much at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not 100% sure this year's duo is better than last year's. Strong argument to be made HHCD is the best of that quad, at least when he's right.

I'm more than pleased we're rolling the dice minus HHCD who hasnt "been right" since who can tell  -  which I'll submit WASNT because of coaching or scheme or some other outside intangible - but the player himself.

He can take his bad angles - his unwillingness to close down on passing lanes - his late to tackles - his "business decisions" elsewhere.

Good riddance.

I suspect - given fact he's contractually on the outs - he'll actually put in the work. Show some effort. There's paychecks to insure. Or else there's life after football to begin in earnest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, squire12 said:

What exactly had Brice been seeing?   There were times what he was seeing was not worth much at all.  

Brice had a lot of positive parts, but had the fatal flaw that he couldn't track it at all. 

At this point, I'm not sure Savage even gets the start over Tramon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm more than pleased we're rolling the dice minus HHCD who hasnt "been right" since who can tell  -  which I'll submit WASNT because of coaching or scheme or some other outside intangible - but the player himself.

He can take his bad angles - his unwillingness to close down on passing lanes - his late to tackles - his "business decisions" elsewhere.

Good riddance.

I suspect - given fact he's contractually on the outs - he'll actually put in the work. Show some effort. There's paychecks to insure. Or else there's life after football to begin in earnest. 

I'm just saying, we had one legit plus safety talent in HHCD who at least knew the book. Amos isn't that guy.

Savage might be that guy, in a calendar year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think people need to pump the brakes on the rookie expectations a bit with regard to Savage. Clearly more talented than Brice, but Brice had also seen it for a year going into the year. Savage is green as grass.

My expectations are similar to what I had for Alexander last year, just make us look more competent at the position than we did the year before lol. 

 

 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm just saying, we had one legit plus safety talent in HHCD who at least knew the book. Amos isn't that guy.

Savage might be that guy, in a calendar year. 

I certainly hope Amos isnt HHCD and would guess the GBPs are counting on that fact.

Savage is a rookie - but he's got the tools.

Like JA. He got through (and succeeded) last year on his innate talents and attitude. He WANTED to succeed every play. Did he? No - but I'd far prefer that on that the field than the guy who's playing in a business suit.

As I've said.......I suspect HHCD will do well this year. He's on the contract ropes. One step closer to being the guy nobody wants. Also, he's got a good D around him and HHCD's knack is to take in the errant pass. The over throw. The hanger. The one caused by a rushed QB making a bad decision. What he's not - is the guy that fights for the contested INT. Mixes it up and comes away with the ball. No. Thats not HHCD.

Edited by Leader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm just saying, we had one legit plus safety talent in HHCD who at least knew the book. Amos isn't that guy

I'm confused. HHCD didn't know Pettine's book last year. Nobody did. 

HHCD also hasn't been a top safety talent in execution for awhile.

Amos/Savage are going to be so much better than that disaster we trotted out at position last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HHCD is a soft *** *****. Glad I dont have to watch that bullchit again this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

HHCD is a soft *** *****. Glad I dont have to watch that bullchit again this year. 

The day we drafted his slow, soft, purely opportunistic *** I fell to my knees and cursed the heavens. 

It wouldn’t be the first time a team has made a colossal mistake in FA, but what Amos got vs what HHCD got, and which teams gave what speaks volumes. Amos is simply a better safety than Ha Ha, minus the occasional accidental INT 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think people need to pump the brakes on the rookie expectations a bit with regard to Savage. Clearly more talented than Brice, but Brice had also seen it for a year going into the year. Savage is green as grass.

Yea, I've been looking at safeties that have been drafted in the #21 neighborhood (+/- 7 spots). Plenty seem to eventually end up as competent starters, but people forget that those guys weren't always that way. Most of them do play a large amount of snaps even as rookies, but the median grade for them seems to be low-end #2 safety in yr 1, with none grading in the top-32. That's a recipe for disappointment for the average fan. In yr 2, median grade gets up to mid-level #2 safety, and over 40% are in the top-32. 

The sample is 12 players taken from drafts 2006-2016:

E.Thomas, HHCD, E.Reid, K.Neal, M.Griffin, B.Meriweather, K.Joseph, M.Jenkins, R.Nelson, K.Vaccaro, J.Allen, C.Pryor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Yea, I've been looking at safeties that have been drafted in the #21 neighborhood (+/- 7 spots). Plenty seem to eventually end up as competent starters, but people forget that those guys weren't always that way. Most of them do play a large amount of snaps even as rookies, but the median grade for them seems to be low-end #2 safety in yr 1, with none grading in the top-32. That's a recipe for disappointment for the average fan. In yr 2, median grade gets up to mid-level #2 safety, and over 40% are in the top-32. 

The sample is 12 players taken from drafts 2006-2016:

E.Thomas, HHCD, E.Reid, K.Neal, M.Griffin, B.Meriweather, K.Joseph, M.Jenkins, R.Nelson, K.Vaccaro, J.Allen, C.Pryor

I don't think anyone's thinking he'll be a pro bowler/all pro player out of the gate, but I don't think expecting him to be better than 2018 Josh Jones/Brice  are huge expectations for a 1st round pick safety. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I don't think anyone's thinking he'll be a pro bowler/all pro player out of the gate, but I don't think expecting him to be better than 2018 Josh Jones/Brice  are huge expectations for a 1st round pick safety. 

Sure, better, but the question is how much better. People get carried away with hyperbole sometimes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×