Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Amos should have just enough experience to transition pretty easily. As long as Savage doesn't completely s**t the bed, I think he'll see the field a lot and we'll have to endure some growing pains. Hopefully his speed can help cover for his early mistakes. Pettine has said he likes to have packages to involve everyone as much as possible. Hell - anything's better than the dumpster fire of missed assignments and miscommunication we had with Capers. Pettine seems to "get it" so I am optimistic.

As a fail safe in general, it wouldn't hurt to remember that our 2015 was graded pretty highly

Edited by cannondale

Regarding the secondary, I don't think I'm comfortable going into the season with a rookie pegged as the starter. That's a lot of faith and we don't have a particularly good depth if that plan fails. I'd be happier with another vet there holding the fort the first few weeks until Savage truly earns that spot, though perhaps Tramon can fill that role.

CB has a similar problem in that we really have one reliable starter (Jaire). King has his injury concerns and Jackson needs that year 2 jump, but I'm not as nervous as with Safety because we also have another wild card or two there with Crazy Tony, Hollman and the UDFAs. Tramon could also help here though he obviously can't help both positions at once.

At the very least, Savage can help out as a corner this year.  Maybe in the double slot.  I expect Tramon to start off back there and these cede snaps to Savage after a couple of games.  I'm choosing to remain optimistic about the entire squad.  In regards to Savage, safeties can come in and be very good very fast.  Amos is still young, but he's a veteran.  Between him and Tramon, I think they will get Savage up to speed quickly.

King is the question mark.  I still have undying love for him.  

And, as someone said, if Tony Brown and/or Tramon Williams is at the bottom of your depth chart at corner, you are pretty good.

Defense has a lot of new faces and some should take a second year jump.  I personally feel like this is going to be fun to watch.

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not 100% sure this year's duo is better than last year's. Strong argument to be made HHCD is the best of that quad, at least when he's right.

This is such an odd take to me.  For one, HHCD hasn't been right since late 2016.  At this point expecting him to get right is the bigger reach.  I've gone through a handful of games on the All-22 just to watch HHCD over the past few years and that's not a safety I'd want on my team at any pay rate.  Given his value in trade and then on the open market, I don't think this is a particularly controversial statement.  Whatever the reasons for that precipitous decline, he's simply not an NFL starter as a safety at the moment.  If we're talking about what they each could be at their best, then sure, but since Green Bay hasn't seen that player in years I don't know why we're pretending that's who he was when he left.

• Like 1

There's still a whole bunch of question marks with this secondary. 

Is Amos a piece that's going to be a net positive or a net neutral? What does that look like when he's asked to be the leader back there rather than a complimentary piece?

What is Savage looking like as a rookie? Very likely that he isn't going to be any better than average, if that, this year.

Is King healthy? If King is healthy, where's he at? I've seen flashes of genuine #1CB and I've seen some reps that don't look starter quality. Hopefully he puts it together this year.

What is Jaire Alexander looking like as a sophomore? Is it a year 2 step forward? Is it a sophomore slump?

What's up with Josh Jackson? Can he play at all?

What's up with Tramon? Where's he fitting into this thing? What are the wheels looking like at 36? 

Are any of the lottery tickets going to turn into players?

Yeah this is all 100% true, but frankly isn't that the case with most position groups on most teams?  Today's NFL is almost entirely about first contract players, which means there's going to be roiling uncertainty just about everywhere.  I mean you can make a similar case for the Packers' WRs, OL, OLB, ILB, and TE groups.  DL, QB, and RB are really the only positions where I feel there's no obvious question marks among the starters/key backup groups.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Kenny is worth the 5th year option, while his draft - mates Vernon Butler and Robert Nkemdiche are not

Just holding myself accountable here...I was all over A'Shawn Robinson (Lions) and Noah Spence (Bucs) that year.  Shows you how much I know.

45 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just holding myself accountable here...I was all over A'Shawn Robinson (Lions) and Noah Spence (Bucs) that year.  Shows you how much I know.

Turns out that turned out to be a very meh draft year. Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack were popular heated discussions. Vernon Butler, Reggie Ragland, Shaq Lawson were popular choices

I think people need to pump the brakes on the rookie expectations a bit with regard to Savage. Clearly more talented than Brice, but Brice had also seen it for a year going into the year. Savage is green as grass.

2019 Savage will be better than 3018 Bruce.  And I don’t think I need to pump the brakes on that, because Bryce was dog****. Hard to be much worse 

• Like 1

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

2019 Savage will be better than 3018 Bruce.  And I don’t think I need to pump the brakes on that, because Bryce was dog****. Hard to be much worse 

Bruce. Bryce. :)

37 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Are they doing the 3018 mock drafts already?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Lot of folks not remembering what Collins looked like as a baby

40 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Lot of folks not remembering what Collins looked like as a baby

What do you remember from year oneish?

I remember a kid that absolutely excelled at coming up fast and tackling.  Looked kind of lost as a centerfielder.  Hands were pretty poor back there, too.  But the one thing I remember was his speed coming forward and his ability to flat out stick a guy after coming up fast.

If that is all Savage does in year one, I'll be happy.  But I think he has more man cover ability and probably better hands right away.

I thought that the tipping point for Collins was Woodson.  Once Woody came over, things got easier for Nick.  Maybe it was leadership, maybe he mentored Nick, maybe having a stud corner makes a safeties life easier...or all the above.  I choose to believe that Woodson really helped him develop.  Miss that guy very much.