Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You and I remember things differently.  I remember, rookie year, we played someone early, could have been the Rams, but I"m not sure (going from memory here), offense throws a pass to the left flat.  RB is wide open.  Turns, catches the ball and there is a blur on the screen.  Collins comes up, sticks him dead in his tracks for a loss of yardage.  I saw pretty much that same play 5-6 times that year.  About as many times as I saw balls clank off of his hands.  That was my memory of him as a young player.  Give him a target and he will get there, fast.  Make him read to where a target is, and he will struggle some.  Thought Woody taught him more of how to read an offense.

There's a significant difference between hitting a guy catching a ball and turning, and hitting a guy to make an open field tackle.

13 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

the draft is first and foremost a tv event so it doesn't really matter how many people show up if enough people watch on tv.

TV is good for TV, but the city that puts on the event is very dependent on how many people show up. They have to cover their costs for police, parks etc and they need a huge crowd spending cashish on food, bev and merchandise to make it work. The host city also benefits from hotel taxes and filled restaurants

I'll add that TV needs a large crowd there too- to make sure it looks like THEEEEE place to be. Thats why they show all these crowd shots and cut to crazed fans going nuts - that makes for good TV and keeps the NFL's plan moving forward to get cities to bid vs one another for the privilege of hosting. A lackluster crowd impacts everything

Edited by Shanedorf

15 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't know if the draft needs to be the same kind of event every year.  Like Vegas and Nashville can swing the "enormous outdoor party" concept, but the draft is first and foremost a tv event so it doesn't really matter how many people show up if enough people watch on tv.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

TV is good for TV, but the city that puts on the event is very dependent on how many people show up. They have to cover their costs for police, parks etc and they need a huge crowd spending cashish on food, bev and merchandise to make it work. The host city also benefits from hotel taxes and filled restaurants

I'll add that TV needs a large crowd there too- to make sure it looks like THEEEEE place to be. Thats why they show all these crowd shots and cut to crazed fans going nuts - that makes for good TV and keeps the NFL's plan moving forward to get cities to bid vs one another for the privilege of hosting. A lackluster crowd impacts everything

Both of you make good points. Green Bay would really need to step up its game to at least make the production and presentation look as good as Nashville's. I loved the way the fan sections looked for individual teams in Nashville--it really added to the carnival atmosphere. If MM can pull off getting the nod to host the NFL Draft, and then make it look and feel world class while managing the crazy logistics, he will elevate to highest levels of Packerdom demi-goddery for me.

LOL, people are actually ripping us for giving Rashan Gary Clay's #52 number. 

As if teams don't reissue numbers ALL THE DAMN TIME.

Need I remind you that the Vikes gave Aundre Allison #84 after trading Randy Moss. And the Giants just gave an UDFA #13 fresh off of trading away Odell, yet you don't see us or anyone giving them crap over a non-issue. And I've lost count of how many Rams players wore #52 after Mike Jones' game-saving tackle in SBXXXIV. Funny I should say that, that's now the number Clay will be wearing in LA. 

He ain't even mad, the "lol" in his reply Tweet clearly signifies it was made in jest:

Talk about reaching for straws when it comes to finding things to harp on us for.

Bucky Books article about Josh Rosen's situation wherein he made the following comment about Favre:

Reflecting on my time with the Packers in the 1990s watching Favre grow from castoff to MVP, he thrived in an adaptable system that put the responsibility on his shoulders to put the offense in the best position to succeed. Although he created big-play opportunities with his magical improvisational skills, No. 4 excelled in an environment with coaching excellence around him. He had a series of high-IQ teachers (see Mike Holmgren, Sherman Lewis, Steve Mariucci and Andy Reid) with the communication skills and knowledge to challenge him and grow his game.

Thought came to me to reflect on how good a coaching staff that was..........

36 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Sounds like dem Packers are gonna play in Canadia after all
Winnipeg stepping up to host Packers-Raiders in preseason, eh ?

Honestly, I feel like I know more about Mexico than I do Canada. The weather sucks in Wisconsin nine months out of the year. What the hell do they do up there? Ice fish until July?

The little chimney that you see at the top of Minnesota is not contiguously connected, and the children that live up there have to pass through Canada to get to school every day. And four times every day they have to report at the Canadian border going in and going out and identify who they are and explain what they’re doing. Can’t be too careful.

All this mystery makes me think that Canada is a wildly fun place to be and they keep things quiet so they don’t have to put up a wall at the southern border to keep us out. 

Edited by blueswedeshoes
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Honestly, I feel like I know more about Mexico than I do Canada. The weather sucks in Wisconsin nine months out of the year. What the hell do they do up there? Ice fish until July?

The little chimney that you see at the top of Minnesota is not contiguously connected, and the children that live up there have to pass through Canada to get to school every day. And four times every day they have to report at the Canadian border going in and going out and identify who they are and explain what they’re doing. Can’t be too careful.

All this mystery makes me think that Canada is a wildly fun place to be and they keep things quiet so they don’t have to put up a wall at the southern border to keep us out. 

@JBURGE  Care to elaborate on all things Canadian/Canada?

15 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Thats interesting. Google Earthed it and thats a fairly desolate / isolated section of town :)
Guess they dont have enough people to support a public school system.....so they head north?