Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

From PackersWire

"A reporter even acknowledged that Josh Jackson appeared to “look bigger” than he was at the end of last year.
“Oh yeah. A lot bigger, for sure – 196 (pounds),” Jackson responded. “I’ve just tried to focus on my strength and conditioning and just working on self-improvement.”

Jackson started out OTAs as the Packers nickel cornerback, a spot he struggled at occasionally last year. With the Packers not having a dedicated slot corner, Jackson could be in line to see significant time there this season"

Edited by Shanedorf

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Orthog

Only way one LB can't be, relatively, inside of two others is if they are in some sort of orthogonal orientation.

I googled this word and I still don't understand it

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:30 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Thank you for noticing this by the way. This has been something I'm trying to avoid doing and have been for a while. I'll fully admit to still using "kids" when I'm talking about a group of younger players, and I should stop doing that as well.

I'll be honest, it kinda rubs me the wrong way even when a guy like Tramon does it (though I think it's in no way said maliciously). It seems like it gives off this vibe of superiority and I think it's starting to bother some of the younger guys (or of the younger generation to phrase it differently). It implies they're not as valid of players or teammates until they've been in the league for a few years and I think that's absolute bull**** with the direction the league is going. 

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:53 PM, Sasquatch said:

I’ve been preaching this for years also.  These are grown men - not boys or kids!  Thank you, and Arthur.

Facepalm at 7:30

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/pack-a-day-podcast-episode-300-the-beginning-of-otas-137

2 hours ago, Norm said:

I googled this word and I still don't understand it

I think it is meant to sound like "warthog" or "warhog" even as it describes the supposed necessity of an orthogonal, or perpendicularly reflected orientation, necessary to create the possibility of having four OLBs in actual OLB position on the field at the same time.

I laughed.

• Like 1

Spotrac currently lists the GBPs as 27th in the league regards 2020 CAP space with 54 players signed -  but  - they're the first team listed in the red.
Not sure how many players are going to be coming off the books next year - but there's not a whole bunch of "older" veteran contracts on the roster anymore.

The CM's, Cobbs, Perry et al have all been rotated out.  Graham is probably gonna be gone and I doubt Daniels is resigned. I think we're entering a few years of limited spending / tight money.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Spotrac currently lists the GBPs as 27th in the league regards 2020 CAP space with 54 players signed -  but  - they're the first team listed in the red.
Not sure how many players are going to be coming off the books next year - but there's not a whole bunch of "older" veteran contracts on the roster anymore.

The CM's, Cobbs, Perry et al have all been rotated out.  Graham is probably gonna be gone and I doubt Daniels is resigned. I think we're entering a few years of limited spending / tight money.

Cutting/Restructure Linsley saves $8.5 million

Cutting Graham saves $8 million

Cutting Lane Taylor saves $4.7 million

Clark will likely have a different cap hit in 2020 - TBD (currently $9.5 million)

And then it's also the final year in the current CBA so things could get wonky

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Cutting/Restructure Linsley saves $8.5 million

Cutting Graham saves $8 million

Cutting Lane Taylor saves $4.7 million

Clark will likely have a different cap hit in 2020 - TBD (currently $9.5 million)

And then it's also the final year in the current CBA so things could get wonky

This is true....but a point I was trying to make in a conceptual sense is we're running low on older veterans - obvious targets to be let go - and the meat getting cut is a bit closer to the bone.

Graham? The groundwork's laid for them to move on from him next year.
Daniels? Probably on his way out. 2019 will tell how much production we'd be losing. 2018 wasnt such a good indicator.
Linsley & Taylor? Fairly consistent producers. All Pros? No. Replaceable? Probably. Nice to have around cause they're pretty good at what they do? Yeah, I think so.

We may be entering a Russ Ball Renaissance Period when collars (read: budgets) are getting a bit tight - putting the number crunchers in heaven.

I look forward to the wonkiness :)

Edited by Leader