Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Since it is slow for a while, I thought I would post this.

Takeaways:

-Matt Flynn was like slow-mo Rodgers.  Could watching him be what we get from late-30s Rodgers?

-Calvin Johnson should be a first ballot HOF.  I don't care who racked up more yards, they weren't as good as him.

-James Jones and Jermichael Finley were faster than their timed runs would suggest.  Maybe the pads just didn't have any affect on them? Also, I don't know what his times were, but Jarrett Bush was fast as hell.

-Why wasn't Brandon Pettigrew better? I remember him beasting in college.  I thought he would be amazing, though I thought Martin Rucker and Chase Coffman would also be good.  Maybe it is because they don't defense in the Big XII? But that didn't seem to be a problem for Finley.

-For as much grief as Marshall Newhouse gets, I would have expected more sacks to be given up.  

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Woof. Feel like we've been a poor tackling defense for the last several years now. The changes at safety alone should lead to great improvement here. 

Yeah I feel like there’s only been like one year since the superbowl where I didn’t feel we were pretty abysmal at tackling

PFF GB Packers:

Za'Darius Smith played 652 snaps last season without a missed tackle.
Preston Smith had the 10th best tackling efficiency among EDGE defenders w/500 snaps.
The highest individual grade of Oren Burks' rookie season was tackling.

• Like 3

So the hype coming out of summer camps seems to be how well MVS and Kumerow look. Granted this is way premature, but if the hype turns real and they in fact, are for real, say our #2 and #3 WRs. Do you cut bait with G-Mo?

If you do, what if anything, do you think you could get in a trade moving him before final cut. I say this only because I think Moore and St. Brown are making the team. 

Edited by Golfman

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

So the hype coming out of summer camps seems to be how well MVS and Kumerow look. Granted this is way premature, but if the hype turns real and they in fact, are for real, say our #2 and #3 WRs. Do you cut bait with G-Mo?

If you do, what if anything, do you think you could get in a trade moving him before final cut. I say this only because I think Moore and St. Brown are making the team. 

Kumerow has been a TC/PS wonder who has all of 8 regular season receptions. IMO we're in trouble if he becomes our #3 WR.  
Gmo was putting a nice 2018  season together before getting injured and I think he'll produce for us again this year.

1. Toledo_logo.gif Michael Roberts, TE, Toledo  
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 270. Arm: 33.25. Hand: 11.63.  
    40 Time: 4.86. 
    Projected Round (2017): 3-5. 

4/25/17: Roberts is a blocking tight end for the NFL, yet has some receiving ability. Scouting sources said that Roberts could be the best pure Y tight end in the 2017 NFL Draft. They say he is athletic enough to make some plays as a short option or in the red zone. Roberts had a quality week at the Senior Bowl, minus a few dropped passes. He ran very slowly at the combine, however. 

Roberts made 45 receptions for 533 yards with 16 touchdowns in 2016. As a junior, he had 21 catches for 234 yards with four scores.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Leader said:

Kumerow has been a TC/PS wonder who has all of 8 regular season receptions. IMO we're in trouble if he becomes our #3 WR.  
Gmo was putting a nice 2018  season together before getting injured and I think he'll produce for us again this year.

I do think he's got a chance to win that #3 spot.  Based on my eye test he gets open and seems to catch everything (which is how I would also describe Allison).  We'll see how the preseason shakes out.

16 hours ago, Golfman said:

Personally I feel like its GMo Kumerow and Davis for 2 spots again this year. If we just cant find another returner Davis probably gets the nod. If it looks like maybe Allison lost something from injury and being out hes probably gone. Moore probably gets the game day inactive spot for another year. Though I think he played on dang near every ST unit besides FG by the end of last.

I doubt you get much more than a 7th for rights to Geronimo. Maybe player swap. 

9 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Personally I feel like its GMo Kumerow and Davis for 2 spots again this year. If we just cant find another returner Davis probably gets the nod. If it looks like maybe Allison lost something from injury and being out hes probably gone. Moore probably gets the game day inactive spot for another year. Though I think he played on dang near every ST unit besides FG by the end of last.

I doubt you get much more than a 7th for rights to Geronimo. Maybe player swap. 

CHTV:

While learning a new system is challenging, especially for players like Aaron Rodgers who have had one system their entire playing career, the new scheme includes a lot that players like, too.

“I like a lot of the routes that we run,” said wide receiver Trevor Davis at his locker. “Fits my speed and my style. We all really like the change a lot.”

Trevor Davis is a name to keep an eye on when training camp starts. He notoriously performs well in shorts, but this year he’s caught the attention of both his head coach and his quarterback. Davis will likely be vying for the sixth or seventh WR spot (depending on how many are kept) in addition to the returner role on special teams. Fellow speedy receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling shared similar thoughts to Davis in regards to the new offense.

Another player in a similar position on offense is third-year receiver Geronimo Allison, who finds himself in the WR2 role heading into training camp. Whether he stays there all season is another story (I think he will), but for now, he’s second in the ranks entering the 2019 rotation.

“It was weird,” Geronimo Allison started when asked how it feels to be considered one of the veterans on the team. “But I’m owning it. And I feel comfortable in the position where I’m at.

“I’ve been doing pretty good with the offense. I’ve been doing pretty good helping the guys along the way. And we’ve all been working together collectively.”

Said Allison of the offense, “It’s a fresh start so everybody’s kind of feeling good about it.”

//////

Lots to unwind still....but I like the components of our WR corps.

17 hours ago, Golfman said:

Adams is a lock.  MVS is a near lock.  I view everyone else as 50/50 to making it.

Davis has the obvious return ability that will separate him.  If GB finds someone else to do returns, he's an easy cut.  If not?  I have to think he makes it.

Kumerow has his QB's attention and has produced when called upon.  

ESB produced as a rookie and still has that size/speed stuff.

Moore has great potential and that quickness ala 'Vante.  

GMO actually has NFL production and his QB's trust.

I think they keep all 7.  They are all very talented and somewhat unique...while being young.  

Roll with two QB's to help make up for that.