Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

On a more serious note, a lot of these guys I don't remember very well or have never seen/ I was being ambigious with the Tackle and Guard positions. Also, I'm not sure why I thought Tausch played Guard, or how I forgot Mike Wahle.

Figuring out the OL was pretty tough. After looking up Coffman and Ringo, they absolutely belong. Good look, @Norm

Just wanted to mention three guys from the wasteland of the 70's-8o's who should be acknowledged:

John Brockington RB  IIRC, went for over 1000 yds his first four years with no one blocking for him.

Brian Noble  ILB;  tough, rugged on a bad team.

Ezra Johnson  DE.  Besides eating hotdogs on the bench Ezra was one helluva DE with Mike Butler.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

It's not easy to be a field goal kicker in Lambeau Field. 

weird because other teams kickers had the same results as crosby in the same games in the same weather.  Both at 80% since 2000.

Crosby's average at home is the same as his career average on the road.  Even if you think he's good in lambeau, he still has to kick on the road too.  At best you're talking 1-2 more games in tough weather than other kicker situations.

Crosby made 29/32 kicks outside of the Detroit game.  That's one bad game in an otherwise great year, right around 91% of his kicks, and everyone acts like he sucks

lol

capable of consistently kicking 50 yard field goals.

I'm capable of consistently kicking 50 yard FGs.  Looking for someone who hits a few more than an average kicker, or a cheap kicker who hits the average number.  Crosby hits 53% of 50+ yarders... wow.  

The Bears got rid of Gould.  Gould has missed literally 3 field goals since.  He has been 82/85 since the Bears let him leave. 

Robbie gould is/was an above average kicker.  Crosby isn't.

Especially in light of the last time he had a bad year.  Crosby's worst year was literally followed by literally his best year. 

"impossible to predict" who will have a good season/bad season but here you are trying

a good kicker

false equivalency.  Crosby is an average kicker.

Especially in light of the last time he had a bad year.  Crosby's worst year was literally followed by literally his best year.

posted again because this means nothing.

Overpaid player is overpaid.  There's barely even a debate here.

46 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Just wanted to mention three guys from the wasteland of the 70's-8o's who should be acknowledged:

John Brockington RB  IIRC, went for over 1000 yds his first four years with no one blocking for him.

Brian Noble  ILB;  tough, rugged on a bad team.

Ezra Johnson  DE.  Besides eating hotdogs on the bench Ezra was one helluva DE with Mike Butler.

Bryce Paup was pretty fine at DE/OLB, too.  Could have been the first free agent to get a third round comp pick.  Thinking he won defensive player of the year for Buffalo after he left GB.

Sean Jones was a great end for us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Bryce Paup was pretty fine at DE/OLB, too.  Could have been the first free agent to get a third round comp pick.  Thinking he won defensive player of the year for Buffalo after he left GB.

Sean Jones was a great end for us.

Paup came to mind for me too. I literally know so little about the 70s and 80s. I just skipped over them like they didn't exist when going back over our teams years ago lol

46 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm capable of consistently kicking 50 yard FGs.  Looking for someone who hits a few more than an average kicker, or a cheap kicker who hits the average number.  Crosby hits 53% of 50+ yarders... wow.  

Someone get Gute on the horn. Name your price.

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

No Curly Lambeau?

I respect the living hell out of NFL history and pre merger football but I'd have a hard time being convinced outside of his insane influence on this franchise and league that he belonged. I'm pretty well convinced, obviously not seeing them play. That he held no candle to someone like Thorpe or Grange. There's Illinois tape out there of red, fwiw. Thorpe's always evaded me though there was always rumors it existed. 

Nagurski, IMO, is the earliest guy that belongs on his teams all time list. 

37 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

@skibrett15, quote me so I can remember to respond to everything when I’m not at work.  I’m tempted to offer you 50 dollars to make a 30 yard field goal, too.

If he makes a video of him making a 50 yard field goal, 2 of 5 I'll give him WELL over 50 dollars

Hell, 1 of 5

Edit: all makes sense now. Kid was HS kicker and thinks he could have been a pro. I know someone JUST like this. 

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Norm said:

If he makes a video of him making a 50 yard field goal, 2 of 5 I'll give him WELL over 50 dollars

Hell, 1 of 5

Edit: all makes sense now. Kid was HS kicker and thinks he could have been a pro. I know someone JUST like this. 

Uncle Rico?

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Hell, 1 of 5

Is his name Chase? Mine's a Chase