Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

from ACME Packing

"Unbeknownst to most of the NFL and its media, the Green Bay Packers been a consistently great rushing team for years.
Take a look at their season DVOA rank for rushing offense over the past three seasons:

• 2018: 3rd
  • 2017: 3rd
  • 2016: 5th

however, they ranked last in rushing attempts in 2018

That tends to happen when teams spend a lot of the season trailing.

• Like 1

DeShone Kizer said, "I don't see myself as Aaron Rodgers' backup for the final era of his career. I see myself as a future Super Bowl MVP."

Having goals is a great thing. Having confidence is also a great thing. But Kizer's short-term goal should be to absorb as much of Aaron Rodger's knowledge as possible before trying to compete for a starting job elsewhere. That, of course, is no guarantee. Through two seasons, Kizer has thrown 11 touchdowns to 24 interceptions. A big 2019 preseason would go a long way for Kizer to reach his goals, but Kizer is a career backup until further notice. NFL.com

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

DeShone Kizer said, "I don't see myself as Aaron Rodgers' backup for the final era of his career. I see myself as a future Super Bowl MVP."

Having goals is a great thing. Having confidence is also a great thing. But Kizer's short-term goal should be to absorb as much of Aaron Rodger's knowledge as possible before trying to compete for a starting job elsewhere. That, of course, is no guarantee. Through two seasons, Kizer has thrown 11 touchdowns to 24 interceptions. A big 2019 preseason would go a long way for Kizer to reach his goals, but Kizer is a career backup until further notice. NFL.com

Not enough people say it, but you the real MVP, thanks for the posts. 

Shout out to @Shanedorf and @Leader for re-posting content on the regular. 

Edited by Cadmus
  • Like 3

Acme Packing: Big contracts led to big expenses & small profits for Packers in 2018-19 fiscal year. Between Aaron Rodgers’ record deal and four new free agents, Green Bay paid out a lot more money in signing bonuses over the past 12 months than they ever have.

Each July, the Green Bay Packers release their financial report for the prior fiscal year, which runs from July to June, and the report for the 2018-19 year showed an unusual situation for the franchise. The Green Bay Press-Gazette has broken down the details, which show that the Packers only had about $724,000 in profits in the last year. This was a significant drop from the year before, when the team took in $34 million more than it paid out.

The team set a record for expenses last year, despite also setting a new record for total revenue.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Acme Packing: Big contracts led to big expenses & small profits for Packers in 2018-19 fiscal year. Between Aaron Rodgers’ record deal and four new free agents, Green Bay paid out a lot more money in signing bonuses over the past 12 months than they ever have.

Each July, the Green Bay Packers release their financial report for the prior fiscal year, which runs from July to June, and the report for the 2018-19 year showed an unusual situation for the franchise. The Green Bay Press-Gazette has broken down the details, which show that the Packers only had about $724,000 in profits in the last year. This was a significant drop from the year before, when the team took in $34 million more than it paid out.

The team set a record for expenses last year, despite also setting a new record for total revenue.

I saw this earlier and I don't understand why it's being attributed to our free agent spending. If I understand correctly, every team is playing under the same salary cap, and any money not spent can't go towards other things (renovations, travel expenses, etc.) So I'm confused how/why the salary cap would affect our profit margins. 

4 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

I saw this earlier and I don't understand why it's being attributed to our free agent spending. If I understand correctly, every team is playing under the same salary cap, and any money not spent can't go towards other things (renovations, travel expenses, etc.) So I'm confused how/why the salary cap would affect our profit margins. 

The largest contribution to the expenses — by far — was player costs. And in the past year, the team has paid out significant amounts of money in signing bonuses. First, the team signed Aaron Rodgers to an NFL-record contract extension, giving him a massive bonus in the process. Then general manager Brian Gutekunst brought in four big-name free agents in March, each of whom received significant bonuses as well. In total, the bonus pool went up threefold from the previous year.

Here are the signing bonuses that the five big-ticket players received this year:

Aaron Rodgers: $57.5 million

Za’Darius Smith: $20 million

Preston Smith: $16 million

Adrian Amos: $11 million

Billy Turner: $9 million

In total, that’s $113.5 million spent solely on these significant signing bonuses. In the prior year, the team spent about $37 million on signing bonuses for major contracts, covering Davante Adams ($18M), Corey Linsley ($8M), and Jimmy Graham ($11M).

In addition, the Press-Gazette mentioned that the Packers began making payments to the NFL’s concussion settlement, another new cost. The firing of head coach Mike McCarthy and much of his coaching staff as well as the hiring of replacements also made for a significant source of cost.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Leader said:

The largest contribution to the expenses — by far — was player costs. And in the past year, the team has paid out significant amounts of money in signing bonuses. First, the team signed Aaron Rodgers to an NFL-record contract extension, giving him a massive bonus in the process. Then general manager Brian Gutekunst brought in four big-name free agents in March, each of whom received significant bonuses as well. In total, the bonus pool went up threefold from the previous year.

Here are the signing bonuses that the five big-ticket players received this year:

Aaron Rodgers: $57.5 million

Za’Darius Smith: $20 million

Preston Smith: $16 million

Adrian Amos: $11 million

Billy Turner: $9 million

In total, that’s $113.5 million spent solely on these significant signing bonuses. In the prior year, the team spent about $37 million on signing bonuses for major contracts, covering Davante Adams ($18M), Corey Linsley ($8M), and Jimmy Graham ($11M).

In addition, the Press-Gazette mentioned that the Packers began making payments to the NFL’s concussion settlement, another new cost. The firing of head coach Mike McCarthy and much of his coaching staff as well as the hiring of replacements also made for a significant source of cost.

Yup.  Cash on hand gets depleted quickly when you sign Rodgers to a contract like that.

I seem to recall musings/rumors that the real reason Mack was traded was because Oakland lacked the cash on hand to pay out the guaranteed portion of the contract.  Okay, maybe "lacked" was a strong word, but the point was they would have been pretty strapped had they signed him to a deal like that.

We are pretty fortunate that GB isn't in a position like that.

1 hour ago, smetana34 said:

Cap charge is not the same as cash flow.

for instance, the cash flow on Aaron Rodgers’ deal is: 

2018: 66.9m, 2019: 15.0m, 2020: 21.1m, 2021: 22.0m, 2022: 25.5m, 2023: 25.5m

while his cap charges are: 

2018: 20.9m, 2019: 26.5m, 2020: 32.6m, 2021: 33.5m, 2022: 37.0m, 2023: 25.5m

• Like 1