Leader

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Munoz

Ogden

W. Jones

Pace

Bruce Matthews

Come at me. 

Ogden absolutely has to be in a top 5. Boselli can't be anywhere near it but man if he played longer....

I kinda forgot about Walter Jones. I feel like Larry Allen is overrated for being so ******* giant and insanely strong. Not that he wasn't really good. Pace and Matthews, no doubt. 

I still think the most insane thing ever is that Mel Hein, not playing both ways, won MVP once....at center.

MVP ******* CENTER lol 

Not that I've seen Hannah actually play but the historian guys make it sound like he was not only the best OG but best OL period for nearly a decade.

Kinda feel like a  Joe Thomas ends up on these after some time.

Edited by Norm

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Ogden absolutely has to be in a top 5. Boselli can't be anywhere near it but man if he played longer....

I kinda forgot about Walter Jones. I feel like Larry Allen is overrated for being so ******* giant and insanely strong. Not that he wasn't really good. Pace and Matthews, no doubt. 

I still think the most insane thing ever is that Mel Hein, not playing both ways, won MVP once....at center.

MVP ******* CENTER lol 

Not that I've seen Hannah actually play but the historian guys make it sound like he was not only the best OG but best OL period for nearly a decade.

Is anyone going to argue that Marshall Yanda should be a top 20 guy after being the best Guard in the league for almost a decade?

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is anyone going to argue that Marshall Yanda should be a top 20 guy after being the best Guard in the league for almost a decade?

Good point. But in Hannah's defense, I think it's pretty clear the lean on OT's wasn't the same in the 70s. It wasn't a tier down from tackle.

It's blatantly obvious that guys like Pace Ogden, etc are better than those guys. Kinda feel like Jackie Slater, **** maybe Bob Brown were two that "looked" like modern tackles to me. Game changed a lot though after edge rushers really came about. Everyone says LT, I disagree but that's another ******* convo lol

Edited by Norm

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Good point. But in Hannah's defense, I think it's pretty clear the lean on OT's wasn't the same in the 70s. It wasn't a tier down from tackle.

Not to the same extent, but there's always been a strong lean on tackles. At least if my understanding of NFL history is correct. The best way to score has always been to get your best ball carrier to the sideline free. Tackles sealing the edge has been the way to make it happen. 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not to the same extent, but there's always been a strong lean on tackles. At least if my understanding of NFL history is correct. The best way to score has always been to get your best ball carrier to the sideline free. Tackles sealing the edge has been the way to make it happen. 

Yeah I don't disagree at all. I think there's an old school obsession with inside guys that makes it happen too. It wants to talk about old school guards more. Just like MLB was the premiere position in pro football for a ******* eternity, over QB.

But there's also an absolute **** load of interior pre merger DTs in the HOF too. At least highly recognized ones.

Edited by Norm

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I feel like Larry Allen is overrated for being so ******* giant and insanely strong. Not that he wasn't really good. Pace and Matthews, no doubt.

I think I've seen too many quotes/interviews from former DL/LB in his era naming Allen as the scariest guy they faced to think he's overrated.

15 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think I've seen too many quotes/interviews from former DL/LB in his era naming Allen as the scariest guy they faced to think he's overrated.

I've seen a trillion football documentaries. I've heard this about 50 different dudes. 

3 hours ago, Norm said:

I've seen a trillion football documentaries. I've heard this about 50 different dudes. 

I think you and I are about the same as far as watching or caring about NFL and football history in general. When watching tape of larry allen its insane. He was massive and dominate. My favorite is the tape where john madden is talking about him and he absolutely destroys the indianapolis colts. I think he does deserve credit there are a ton of big strong guys but not many who can put it together the way he did and dominate..

23 hours ago, Norm said:

I always think it's weird how recency bias for all time rankings is strong until you get to offensive lineman. I'm happy though. 

I think Munoz and and Hannah are the top 2 though. Can't say I'd put Gregg third. 

What about Joe Thomas? Just stick on a terrible team his whole career. 

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

What about Joe Thomas? Just stick on a terrible team his whole career. 

I said Joe Thomas would end up on these after some time in a follow up post on there somewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reaper said:

I think you and I are about the same as far as watching or caring about NFL and football history in general. When watching tape of larry allen its insane. He was massive and dominate. My favorite is the tape where john madden is talking about him and he absolutely destroys the indianapolis colts. I think he does deserve credit there are a ton of big strong guys but not many who can put it together the way he did and dominate..

I'm not saying he's garbage or anything but I'm not convinced he's top 5. I really think being that huge and having those weight lifting feats gives him this cool back story and that tends to overrate guys. I've talked about this with guys like Nitschke . He had that look and mystique of the old school super tough middle linebacker in an era where it was pretty much king. Feel like he wasn't as good as others he played with. Pretty well convinced even Sam Huff was better from what I've seen. But I know that's a very unpopular opinion.

Zach Kruse:  Kenny Clark, the Packers' best D-lineman, agreed with DC Mike Pettine that Montravius Adams is the defense's most improved player: "We already knew he had the ability. His get-off is better than all of ours. He's quick off the ball. He's strong, country strong. It's crazy."

• Like 1