Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

14 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Is Kenny Clark seriously not going to make the NFL Top 100?  You can’t be serious.  

Possibly a casualty of being guilty by association for being a member of a defensive unit that most folks have labeled as subpar the past several years.

14 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm not trying to be a jackass or anything, but this doesn't surprise me one bit.

Yeah, not a glamourous or flashy position, bad overall year for the team, young and quiet player.

Not that the list has any meaning anyway.

Edited by Packer_ESP

6 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Is Kenny Clark seriously not going to make the NFL Top 100?  You can’t be serious.  

If you think about it, there's how many positions?

QB, RB, TE, WR, OL, IDL, Edge, Offball LB, CB, Safety, ST

ST doesn't really count and OL should probably be broken into multiple positions, but that's how NFLN will see it. That's 11 positions that need names.

Clark is bottom of the top 10 IDL, a non celebrated position. You know the NFLN isn't going to be able to resist putting in 15 QBs, 15 WRs, and 15 Edges.

That leaves Clark just outside.

• Like 1

from The Athletic

The Packers had the third-most injured defense in the NFL last season. Avoiding that high injury rate could go a long way toward Mike Pettine’s group producing better results in 2019.

Even with all the issues they had last year,  the Packers offense still finished seventh in offensive efficiency.

11 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Not all that surprising.  As soon as I seen Jurrell Casey at 92 or Frank Clark at 88 I knew Clark had little to no chance at making the list.  Clark's a really good player but he's probably near the bottom of the top 10 of his own position group that had 7-8 guys listed depending on where you positioned them.  

Gotta imagine the last 10 are Mahomes, Brady, AR12, Brees, Donald, Mack, Julio, Brown, Gurley, and Nelson in some order.  

100 spots disappear quick when half the list is made up of WR (20), QBs (15) and pass rushers (16).

• WR-20
  • QB-15
  • DE-12
  • LB-10
  • RB-10
  • CB-7
  • DT- 7
  • S- 6
  • T-6
  • TE- 4
  • G-2
  • C-1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SSG said:
14 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Not all that surprising.  As soon as I seen Jurrell Casey at 92 or Frank Clark at 88 I knew Clark had little to no chance at making the list.  Clark's a really good player but he's probably near the bottom of the top 10 of his own position group that had 7-8 guys listed depending on where you positioned them.  

Gotta imagine the last 10 are Mahomes, Brady, AR12, Brees, Donald, Mack, Julio, Brown, Gurley, and Nelson in some order.  

Who is this, Quenton Nelson? Do you think Quenton Nelson is going to be a top 10 player? lmao!!!

The other top 10 guy you missed is Von Miller. Quenton Nelson didn't make the list at all, which is better than him being top 10

18 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Who is this, Quenton Nelson? Do you think Quenton Nelson is going to be a top 10 player? lmao!!!

The other top 10 guy you missed is Von Miller. Quenton Nelson didn't make the list at all, which is better than him being top 10

Yup, totally missed Von Miller.

Nelson was one of the best offensive lineman in the NFL last year and a first team all pro.   Thought the chances of him being listed in the top 10 were much better than him not being listed at all.  With the Colts other all pro rookie making it into the top 26, I didn't think it was a huge stretch to see the better of the 2 rookies go in the top 10. 

I didn't think he was a top 10 player but I didn't think they'd leave off the best young offensive lineman in the league. 

18 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

The Q Nelson adoration is...odd.

I mean, he's great and all, but people here in Indy want to build a statue of him already because he screams on pulling plays and he has a mullet.

Thought the top 10 was high but I totally missed Von Miller and couldn't think of any other elite players who hadn't made the list.  With guys like JPP and Ebron on a list that included 6 rookies I thought there was no way that Nelson would be left off.  

Ben Fennell:

Aaron Rodgers argument in a weird nutshell....
In the simplest terms: It's 3rd & 5. Slant/Flat. Man Coverage.
3 Step. Good protection. Slant is wide open.
QB doesn't throw it.
Extends play, scrambles for 6 yards.
Do you give the QB a positive grade or a negative grade?

Only fair to give my opinion as well.
Without question: Negative.
Why?
The QBs job is to execute the called play and/or get team into advantageous play.
If that play has an answer to a defense - you take that answer. Improvisation DOES NOT take precedent to designed answers.

//////////////

I agree and this represents my previous comments about wanting AR to get rid of the ball. His staying healthy is crucial to this teams success. Quit (unnecessary) improvising. Quit taking the unnecessary hits.

Edited by Leader

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ben Fennell:

Aaron Rodgers argument in a weird nutshell....
In the simplest terms: It's 3rd & 5. Slant/Flat. Man Coverage.
3 Step. Good protection. Slant is wide open.
QB doesn't throw it.
Extends play, scrambles for 6 yards.
Do you give the QB a positive grade or a negative grade?

Only fair to give my opinion as well.
Without question: Negative.
Why?
The QBs job is to execute the called play and/or get team into advantageous play.
If that play has an answer to a defense - you take that answer. Improvisation DOES NOT take precedent to designed answers.

//////////////

I agree and this represents my previous comments about wanting AR to get rid of the ball. His staying healthy is crucial to this teams success. Quit (unnecessary) improvising. Quit taking the unnecessary hits.

It's a first down. How is that not an advantageous play?

5 minutes ago, deathstar said:

It's a first down. How is that not an advantageous play?

You'd probably have to grade that a net neutral. A negative on the execution (not seeing/throwing to the wide open receiver) and a positive on the result (first down).