Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

10 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

my suggestion: Toss out everything that happened in 2018
its meaningless and will only lead to frustration for those trying to "figure it out"

Agree entirely and in fact I've been communicating very little regards the past. Its all new. Clean slate. Everybody's healthy.
This "free lancing" style however isnt new and I personally think we can all agree that its leading to increased hits on AR - who's becoming less and less tolerant to take them w/o injury. So - going forward - thats been my only "mandate" or requested change.

We need the guy to stay healthy. We need him to use his smarts and accuracy to get rid of the ball to the guys that are paid to run with it and whose bodies are built up to withstand the hits - moreso than AR.

Edited by Leader

Andy Herman:

Jason Spriggs released.

2017 Grade: -13.1
2018 Grade -5.7

Both in limited action. He was really one of the few left on the roster with a massively poor grade. He never lived up to his athletic profile & could never quite put it all together. It’s Alex Light’s time now.

One really interesting decision that Gutekunst made this offseason that’s worth monitoring: The cap savings at the beginning of the offseason for releasing Jimmy Graham & Mike Daniels were nearly identical. (Graham actually bigger savings). Gutekunst kept Graham & cut Daniels.

36 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman:

Jason Spriggs released.

2017 Grade: -13.1
2018 Grade -5.7

Both in limited action. He was really one of the few left on the roster with a massively poor grade. He never lived up to his athletic profile & could never quite put it all together. It’s Alex Light’s time now.

One really interesting decision that Gutekunst made this offseason that’s worth monitoring: The cap savings at the beginning of the offseason for releasing Jimmy Graham & Mike Daniels were nearly identical. (Graham actually bigger savings). Gutekunst kept Graham & cut Daniels.

Come on Andy, just say it.  Gute kept the guy he signed and got rid of the guy that was signed by Thompson.  Don't dance around it, man!

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Come on Andy, just say it.  Gute kept the guy he signed and got rid of the guy that was signed by Thompson.  Don't dance around it, man!

I still feel like that was an offense versus defense decision. They felt better letting a front 7 guy go with what we had than letting an offensive guy go. Especially with what else is at tight end

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

I still feel like that was an offense versus defense decision. They felt better letting a front 7 guy go with what we had than letting an offensive guy go. Especially with what else is at tight end

I think it is a little to do with TT/Gute.

Moreso to do with replacing production with what was on the roster...and at the cost.  Backup TE's versus backup DL.

Full transparency?  I would have kept Daniels this year.  And I expect him to be pain to us in Detroit.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 9:51 AM, deathstar said:

It's a first down. How is that not an advantageous play?

Because it's not a play at all.  The problem with executing stuff off-schedule is it isn't repeatable and can't be gameplanned for as an offense.  You're not going to have a play labeled "Aaron runs around and hopefully gets a first down and not sacked" in the playbook.  You shouldn't need your QB to play off-schedule in order to win, and if you do, it's an indictment of the offensive system.  If, as in this case, the QB didn't need to take the off-schedule play, there's an even bigger problem because it means the offense was working and the QB couldn't execute it.  That's not and shouldn't be a positive grade.  

1 minute ago, MrBobGray said:

Because it's not a play at all.  The problem with executing stuff off-schedule is it isn't repeatable and can't be gameplanned for as an offense.  You're not going to have a play labeled "Aaron runs around and hopefully gets a first down and not sacked" in the playbook.  You shouldn't need your QB to play off-schedule in order to win, and if you do, it's an indictment of the offensive system.  If, as in this case, the QB didn't need to take the off-schedule play, there's an even bigger problem because it means the offense was working and the QB couldn't execute it.  That's not and shouldn't be a positive grade.  

Oh. Any improvisation is negative if they bypass the play as called. 

He got a first down. Literally no one knows what would've happened if he threw the slant, even though it was open. What matters is the offense is in a better position than it was. IMO.

2 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

and if you do, it's an indictment of the offensive system.

I agree with everything up to this part.  Against a good team, with a good well coached defense.  You 100% will need your QB to make an off schedule "play" against a schematic win by the defense.  You will probably need 2-3 plays against most playoff teams.  Goff's inability to do this a single time is probably the single biggest reason why the rams lost the SB.

Now, that *doesn't* mean scramble and run for a first down when the play *is* there.  It means when the first read is covered and the second read is covered, either the QB sees this pre-snap and makes their own play, or they extend the play with pocket awareness or scrambling and get the ball downfield late in the down.