Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Acme Packing:

The Green Bay Packers brought in competition for longtime kicker Mason Crosby this summer, claiming Sam Ficken off waivers. This is the first time that Crosby has faced competition in training camp since 2013, when he fought off Georgio Tavecchio to win the job, leading to the best season of his career.

However, there are signs that the Packers are not yet satisfied with their place-kickers. Over the weekend, the Baltimore Ravens traded kicker/punter Kaare Vedvik to the Minnesota Vikings, reportedly in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick. However, the Packers were reportedly one of three other teams that were in contact with the Ravens about Vedvik, according to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. Tomasson phrased his reporting as these teams “wanted to trade for” Vedvik, suggesting that general manager Brian Gutekunst was interested enough in Vedvik to give up a late-round draft pick — though he was seemingly out-bid by Vikings GM Rick Spielman.

Predictably, the Chicago Bears were in that group as well, along with the Packers and the New York Jets.

It’s possible Gute is looking for a kicker, it’s also possible Gute is just addicted to the waiver wire.

The inital reports said that 2 NFC North teams were interested in the kicker. One was obviously the Vikings and the other i'm 99% certain was the Bears.

After the trade was made we suddenly got reports that the Packers were in the frame. That contradicts the initial reports. I think our name was thrown in to make for a juicier story imo and that we're never were really in for him.

On 8/11/2019 at 10:01 PM, Outpost31 said:

Why is everybody so suddenly worried about replacing an ILB nobody expected much out of anyway?  

I’m mixed. Burks was going to start, which means even as the second ILB he’d probably have seen 40-60% of snaps. Now we are going from a guy who actually had speed to cover (a problem we’ve had at the position for as long as I can remember) to a UDFA.

With that said he was arguably our worst starter and we can mix in Jones more now.

On the scale of 1-10, I’d put the loss of Burks at at 3-4

Andy Herman:

Most Important: Starr
Best of their era: Starr
Best off field: Starr
Most accurate: Rodgers
Best arm: Favre
Best Mobility: Rodgers
Most Talent: Rodgers
Most Rings: Starr
Best player on their best day: Rodgers
Game on the line: Starr
Win a game today: Rodgers
Most enjoyable: Favre

//////

Agree? Disagree?

21 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Most Important............This is the one I can't decide on. I never saw Starr, but Favre came at exactly the right time and brought a new excitement, and Rodgers talent was the perfect antidote to the craziness of Favre when he left.

I think some........clarity might be in order regards your feelings towards Favre. Just maybe :)

The Ringer:

MLF: “There’s so much tradition here. We will always respect that tradition, but now it’s about how we make it about our guys that are here now. And not only that, but how do we help them make a new tradition, a new history?”

MLF: “It’s not about what I’ve done in my past. It’s not about what the guys who’ve been here have done in the past. It’s about how we come together and make this the Green Bay Packers offense.” 

During the interview process last winter, LaFleur got a phone call from an unfamiliar number. When he answered, Rodgers was on the other line, which LaFleur took as a good sign: “I was like, ‘Man, I think I’ve got a chance at this thing.’”

After LaFleur was hired, the two had a few early conversations in which LaFleur laid out the parameters of his offense, and Rodgers made it clear that there were aspects of the Packers’ old system that he couldn’t live without. “Obviously, you can watch the film and try to pair up concepts, but there’s some stuff that he really wanted to know that I had to keep from the previous offense and what stuff I could let go,” Rodgers says. “Being in the same system for, really, 14 years, you kind of get used to certain plays and feel more comfortable with certain plays based on things that have happened. It could be a rep in practice that really turns you on or turns you off to a play, to crunch-time plays that you’ve hit.” Two areas where Rodgers prefers to lean heavily on past experience and maintain more autonomy are in the red zone and during the two-minute drill—both of which require especially quick mental processing and streamlined execution. To this point, Rodgers says that LaFleur has been “great” at accommodating those requests.

MLF: “We’re fortunate that we’ve got a guy that’s played at the highest level. The last thing we want to do is put him in a position where he’s not comfortable with something. Because if he’s not comfortable with it, he’s not going to be confident in it. Belief is so powerful. If the 11 guys out on that field believe in what we’re doing, we’ve got a much better chance at success.”

The most significant adjustment Rodgers faces in this system is dealing with the amount of pre-snap motion. Last season, the Titans used some sort of motion on 56 percent of their offensive plays, which was one of the higher rates in the league, according to Sports Info Solutions. Green Bay was at the other end of the spectrum at just 27 percent.

The final goal may be ensuring that Rodgers believes in every aspect of the Packers’ playbook, but the new coach finds it necessary to feel a little discomfort along the way. “Anytime there’s change, in order to grow and learn something new, you’ve got to get comfortable with the uncomfortable,” LaFleur says. “And I appreciate the fact that I think he’s done that. Shoot, it’s been the same for me in this position. It’s not always the most comfortable, but that’s how you grow as a person.”

Edited by Leader

33 minutes ago, Leader said:

The Ringer:

MLF: “There’s so much tradition here. We will always respect that tradition, but now it’s about how we make it about our guys that are here now. And not only that, but how do we help them make a new tradition, a new history?”

MLF: “It’s not about what I’ve done in my past. It’s not about what the guys who’ve been here have done in the past. It’s about how we come together and make this the Green Bay Packers offense.” 

During the interview process last winter, LaFleur got a phone call from an unfamiliar number. When he answered, Rodgers was on the other line, which LaFleur took as a good sign: “I was like, ‘Man, I think I’ve got a chance at this thing.’”

After LaFleur was hired, the two had a few early conversations in which LaFleur laid out the parameters of his offense, and Rodgers made it clear that there were aspects of the Packers’ old system that he couldn’t live without. “Obviously, you can watch the film and try to pair up concepts, but there’s some stuff that he really wanted to know that I had to keep from the previous offense and what stuff I could let go,” Rodgers says. “Being in the same system for, really, 14 years, you kind of get used to certain plays and feel more comfortable with certain plays based on things that have happened. It could be a rep in practice that really turns you on or turns you off to a play, to crunch-time plays that you’ve hit.” Two areas where Rodgers prefers to lean heavily on past experience and maintain more autonomy are in the red zone and during the two-minute drill—both of which require especially quick mental processing and streamlined execution. To this point, Rodgers says that LaFleur has been “great” at accommodating those requests.

MLF: “We’re fortunate that we’ve got a guy that’s played at the highest level. The last thing we want to do is put him in a position where he’s not comfortable with something. Because if he’s not comfortable with it, he’s not going to be confident in it. Belief is so powerful. If the 11 guys out on that field believe in what we’re doing, we’ve got a much better chance at success.”

The most significant adjustment Rodgers faces in this system is dealing with the amount of pre-snap motion. Last season, the Titans used some sort of motion on 56 percent of their offensive plays, which was one of the higher rates in the league, according to Sports Info Solutions. Green Bay was at the other end of the spectrum at just 27 percent.

The final goal may be ensuring that Rodgers believes in every aspect of the Packers’ playbook, but the new coach finds it necessary to feel a little discomfort along the way. “Anytime there’s change, in order to grow and learn something new, you’ve got to get comfortable with the uncomfortable,” LaFleur says. “And I appreciate the fact that I think he’s done that. Shoot, it’s been the same for me in this position. It’s not always the most comfortable, but that’s how you grow as a person.”

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-preview/2019/8/13/20802817/green-bay-packers-matt-lafleur-aaron-rodgers-prime

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman:

//////

Agree? Disagree?

Most important is a tough one.  Is it most important to their team or most important in franchise history?

If it's franchise history it's probably between Starr and Favre given the rejuvenation that the Franchise seen while both were the QB.  

If it's most important to their team I think it's AR12.  While Starr was really important, those teams were loaded with all time greats and still played at a championship level when he was out injured.  Favre never missed any games so it's hard to say one way or the other.  Favre also had some really good back ups for most his time in Green Bay.  With AR12, the team fell off a cliff without him.  

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but this is saying Starr was higher ranking against his peers at the time than Rodgers has been? I think?

Nevermind anyways, pretty sure I do agree.

Edited by Norm

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Andy Herman:

//////

Agree? Disagree?

Most Important....could debate Starr and Favre.  Favre brought relevance back to GB.  I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I'd put Favre's mobility next to Rodgers, too.  Young Favre was an escape artist.  Again, can't go wrong either way.

Those are the only two I'd debate.

And...cool post!

25 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Most Important....could debate Starr and Favre.  Favre brought relevance back to GB.  I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I'd put Favre's mobility next to Rodgers, too.  Young Favre was an escape artist.  Again, can't go wrong either way.

Those are the only two I'd debate.

And...cool post!

Dating myself, but Starr over Favre or Rodgers.  Favre and Rodgers were both better athletes, but Favre was a knucklehead who didn't know what a dime defense was four years into his career.  Starr was a true field general who Called his own plays. I know nobody gets to do that anymore (Rodgers came close the last couple years).

Not to rain on the Favre parade, but he would've never won a Super Bowl without the #1 defense in the NFL led by Reggie White.  Brett just turned the ball over too much.  I'll give him credit for being the most entertaining of the three.  Fans were rejuvinated and his 'good ol' boy' personna was a blast of fresh air after the long winter of the '70s and '80s.

But, Bart is the Starr!

3 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

what a dime defense was four years into his career. 

This still cracks me up. But my understanding is he understood what the personnel out there was, just not what it was called. Not that he wasn't a knucklehead still lol

9 minutes ago, Norm said:

This still cracks me up. But my understanding is he understood what the personnel out there was, just not what it was called. Not that he wasn't a knucklehead still lol

It was a nickel defense first of all, but it’s still pretty significant.  If he didn’t know the  word for that, what other words did he not understand?  There are plenty more anecdotes about him not really knowing a whole lot because he just went out there and winged it.  Favre would be ranked significantly higher than anyone but maybe Brady right now if he put half the time those other quarterbacks did into the game.   

38 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It was a nickel defense first of all, but it’s still pretty significant.  If he didn’t know the  word for that, what other words did he not understand?  There are plenty more anecdotes about him not really knowing a whole lot because he just went out there and winged it.  Favre would be ranked significantly higher than anyone but maybe Brady right now if he put half the time those other quarterbacks did into the game.   

And that's fair. All I'm saying if he understood the personnel, it's not as bad. Which maybe I'm wrong about, but that's my understanding.