Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

IIRC the stat that really sticks in my mind was that the defense led the league in '3 and outs'.  It allowed Brett to maintain his gunslinger style and kept the damage to a bare minimum.  Butler and Robinson operating behind Reggie and company was lethal.

That D was good for years, but it became great when Wolf traded for Robinson.  It more or less gave Butler freedom to roam a little bit more and become an unreal playmaker.

Funny thing about that team, to me...  The o-line was nothing special.  Couple good players, but not anywhere near an All Time great o-line.

WR corp was banged up big time.  Had to resort to bringing in a hired gun in Andre Rison.  Let's not forget Don Beebe and his 49er game including the tuck and roll!

Defensively, corners weren't the best.  I can't name them as I"m not sure if they were Newsome/Evans or if they were hurt.

ILB was manned by Ron Cox (former Bear) after Koonce went down.  Thinking Wayne Simmons and Brian Williams as OLB's were solid, but not All Time Great.

That team lived off of 4 things.  Favre.  D-line.  Safeties.  Specials.  (Jacke was pretty solid, too)

And it was fun to watch.  It was my favorite team of my lifetime.

• Like 1

So...I'm wondering if GB has a problem in the state.....

Here's why, and go with me on this.  I was at the State Fair on Sunday.  My wife entered some sugar cookies for judging and took 4'th.  (And they were Oh My God Delicious!)  So, we went to see her cookies displayed and took some pictures.  Cool thing was that when we went to the counter where her cookies were, others were standing around saying how cute they were.

But I digress...

We sat down and watched one of our favorite cover bands.  The Presidents.  Fun show.  I found myself watching the never ending sea of people walk by the Village Green where we were sitting.

And I noticed this...in past years, easily it was 5 GB Packer shirts/shorts/caps to every 1 Brewer or Bucks shirt/shorts/cap.  This year?  Literally saw 2 items of Packer Gear.  And they were both vintage, one jersey was Starr, the other was Reggie White.  Saw tons of Brewers and Bucks gear.  But really no Packer gear.

Course it helps that both the Bucks and Brewers had outstanding years last years.  Helps that Bucks and Brewers are more "local" than the Packers.  But I still found it really odd that there was so little Packer gear being worn.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So...I'm wondering if GB has a problem in the state.....

Here's why, and go with me on this.  I was at the State Fair on Sunday.  My wife entered some sugar cookies for judging and took 4'th.  (And they were Oh My God Delicious!)  So, we went to see her cookies displayed and took some pictures.  Cool thing was that when we went to the counter where her cookies were, others were standing around saying how cute they were.

But I digress...

We sat down and watched one of our favorite cover bands.  The Presidents.  Fun show.  I found myself watching the never ending sea of people walk by the Village Green where we were sitting.

And I noticed this...in past years, easily it was 5 GB Packer shirts/shorts/caps to every 1 Brewer or Bucks shirt/shorts/cap.  This year?  Literally saw 2 items of Packer Gear.  And they were both vintage, one jersey was Starr, the other was Reggie White.  Saw tons of Brewers and Bucks gear.  But really no Packer gear.

Course it helps that both the Bucks and Brewers had outstanding years last years.  Helps that Bucks and Brewers are more "local" than the Packers.  But I still found it really odd that there was so little Packer gear being worn.

This is how you know we missed the playoffs twice in a row.

My Dad was telling me some guy at the golf course they go to was talking to him about how Ted Thompson finally opened his checkbook. No idea he hasn't been the GM. Real fans right there

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

My Dad was telling me some guy at the golf course they go to was talking to him about how Ted Thompson finally opened his checkbook. No idea he hasn't been the GM. Real fans right there

Good grief - that's the epitomy of bandwagon fan right there.  I can tell there's been a drop off the past few years also - I live out west and I used to be able to watch damn near every game on Fox.  Now, I either need to stream the game, get Sunday Ticket, or go to a Packer bar.  I'll say this, though - the Packer bars still draw crowds.

10 minutes ago, Norm said:

I mean, does that surprise you?  I'd say 98% of fans aren't like us (mentally sane).  They're going to be attracted to whatever is being talked about.  The Bucks going to the ECF is going to be talked more than the Packers going 6-9-1.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Good grief - that's the epitomy of bandwagon fan right there.  I can tell there's been a drop off the past few years also - I live out west and I used to be able to watch damn near every game on Fox.  Now, I either need to stream the game, get Sunday Ticket, or go to a Packer bar.  I'll say this, though - the Packer bars still draw crowds.

It think it more the definition of a casual fan. They exist. They have a place in things. Not everybody needs to get down into the weeds of who the GBPs are thinking for backups at the Guard position - or be on top of front office changes - in order to be a fan.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, does that surprise you?  I'd say 98% of fans aren't like us (mentally sane).  They're going to be attracted to whatever is being talked about.  The Bucks going to the ECF is going to be talked more than the Packers going 6-9-1.

No, none of it surprises me lol

6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Fwiw, he's super old. That probably doesn't help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leader said:

It think if more the definition of a casual fan. They exist. They have a place in things. Not everybody needs to get down into the weeds of who the GBPs are thinking for backups at the Guard position - or be on top of front office changes - in order to be a fan.

You're probably right.  I forget this is a forum for the die-hards and that most folks aren't necessarily as astute.  Still, not knowing that TT was replaced by Gute is a little suspect.  All good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

You're probably right.  I forget this is a forum for the die-hards and that most folks aren't necessarily as astute.  Still, not knowing that TT was replaced by Gute is a little suspect.  All good.

You had me at "You're probably right...."
The uncertainly was a bit offputting....so work on that :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think there's very few franchises in all of professional sports where you're competing with other franchises that are going to stay loyal regardless of how good or bad your team is.

I'm not trying to insult solely the Packers fan base here man. 

Edited by Norm

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

Fwiw, he's super old. That probably doesn't help.

In some ways I envy that (not being super old, just being a tad bit clueless).  It means he probably has better balance in his life, and at this point, he's completely run out of focks to give about things like who's the GM, or the starting right tackle, or backup QB, LOL.

• Like 1