Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

17 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Realistically that should have been a significant indicator in regards to the feel about Daniels in this defense. 

Does the Jaylon Smith contract extension become the measuring stick for either extending or resigning Martinez?

Both were drafted in 2016. Smith in the 2nd. Martinez in the 4th but because of injury, Smith was a non-factor until 2017.
Both have played full slates (32 games) the last two years - with Martinez racking up more tackles.

You've gotta figure Martinez is going to want at least what Smith got - (five-year extension worth $64 million including  $35.5 million guaranteed) - no?

Is he worth it? Will the Packers pay it?

Edited by Leader

11 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Brice played 100% of the defensive snaps in games 1-4 of the 2018 season.

The fact that he did is one of few reasons I'm still not 100% sold on the current group of decision-makers we have running the show. My 1-year old daughter could have told you Brice had no business ever starting a game at safety for an NFL team. 

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Does the Jaylon Smith contract extension become the measuring stick for either extending or resigning Martinez?

Both were drafted in 2016. Smith in the 2nd. Martinez in the 4th but because of injury, Smith was a non-factor until 2017.
Both have played full slates (32 games) the last two years - with Martinez racking up more tackles.

You've gotta figure Martinez is going to want at least what Smith got - (five-year extension worth $64 million including  $35.5 million guaranteed) - no?

I hope not, at least not for us. 

Unpopular opinions:

(A) Smith is a much better ILB than Martinez in terms of his complete skill set;

(B) I wouldn't pay Martinez anything close the neighborhood of $10m/year nor would I give him half of the guaranteed money Smith got. 

Every year this team seems to overhaul at least one position. For me, next year it's ILB. We'll likely need 2 new starters after Martinez gets paid elsewhere and we finally realize Burks is, at best, a role player. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I hope not, at least not for us. 

Unpopular opinions:

(A) Smith is a much better ILB than Martinez in terms of his complete skill set;

(B) I wouldn't pay Martinez anything close the neighborhood of $10m/year nor would I give him half of the guaranteed money Smith got. 

Every year this team seems to overhaul at least one position. For me, next year it's ILB. We'll likely need 2 new starters after Martinez gets paid elsewhere and we finally realize Burks is, at best, a role player. 

I'll agree with you on A, but don't be surprised if B is a reality. The one ability Martinez has that Smith doesn't is AVAILability. On an annually beat up defense, Martinez has missed very little time and doesn't have the major injury that Smith once had.

I do think there will be an immense overhaul and Martinez will be the investment at the position with other players flanking him. I could also see a bigger Safety drafted for a hybrid role to try to find the player we had hoped Burks could be.

Edited by Joe

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Is he worth it?  Yes.  

Will the Packers pay it?  ...guessing yes.  It's not like they are flush with options at the moment.

If you look at the Smith deal, I think there is a large chunk of guarantees that kick in a year or so down the road.  Signing bonus seemed pretty small.  So, it all comes down to how it is structured.  Personally, I'd take Martinez on that deal, because I think it becomes more or less a "pay as you go" contract that is easy to get out of...or re-negotiate when/if you have more cap space.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I'll agree with you on A, but don't be surprised if B is a reality. The one ability Martinez has that Smith doesn't is AVAILability. On an annually beat up defense, Martinez has missed very little time and doesn't have the major injury that Smith once had.

Since Smith hit the ground running - i.e. gotten past his initial injuries - both he and Martinez have played the same number of games: 32. Two full seasons.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

There is no possible way Gute is giving Blake $35.5M guaranteed. He gave both Smith's a combined $36M guaranteed. If Blake hits Free Agency you may as well kiss him goodbye...

Look at the structure of the deal.  Only $5M signing bonus.  It becomes kind of a pay as you go deal.

How about 3 years, $26M?  That appears to be the "out".  

Guarantees for base salary end in 2020.  As does the option bonus, which I believe gets paid out.  

And $500,000 base de-escalator for missing workouts.  

It is a very interesting contract.

35 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Martinez should get about 7 per from this team, and I don't even feel good about that. No reason to think you're not going ILB in the mid rounds this year. 

First round. Then trade back into first for WR. Packers forum heads explode 🤣😂