Jump to content
Leader

Random Packer News & Notes

Recommended Posts

Took a look at Spotrac listing overall GBP player expenditures.....

Currently, there are 91 players signed in 2019 for an overall expenditure of 189M (rounded to closest million dollar amount).
I suspect that's gonna drop relatively soon.....

2020: 57 players signed for 197M

2020 positional breakdown:

QB - spending goes up 6.5M from 2019
RB - spending goes down 120 thousand from 2019
WR- goes up 912 thousand
TE - goes down 3.8M
OL - goes down 6.1M
DL - goes up 6.9M
LBs- goes up 13.2M (winner of the largest positional increase sweepstakes).
DBs- goes down 3.5M
STs- goes down 5.1M

This might be a premature exercise given the 2019 number is going to decrease with upcoming cuts - but - unless we let somebody significant go, the ranges will probably hold true in the general sense.

2020 UFAs of note:

Bulaga
Martinez
Allison
Fackrell
Crosby
Davis
Lewis
Tramon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Leader They are going to pay up the big bucks for Kenny Clark as well, no way they let his contract run out (at the end of 2020).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, packfanfb said:

First round. Then trade back into first for WR. Packers forum heads explode ūü§£ūüėā

How are we going to draft a guard then?  I say we draft a guard first round and then completely ignore the ILB position.  Can't draft a bust if you don't draft one at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess that means Bolton is going to be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Chili said:

I guess that means Bolton is going to be fine.

Yes and that 

And Burks will be fine early

And that nobody would give a conditional 7th for Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Chili said:

I guess that means Bolton is going to be fine.

Hmmmm......thats unfortunate in my book. Be interesting to figure out what (and where) this selection went wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

And that nobody would give a conditional 7th for Jones

Wait till he signs somewhere and people start complaining about how Gute was unable to get anything for him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leader said:

Hmmmm......thats unfortunate in my book. Be interesting to figure out what (and where) this selection went wrong. 

I pinpoint the moment where we went wrong was the Spriggs trade up. When we traded up we all knew the Packers were in a need of a S/ILB hybrid due to the increasing use of nickle and dime defences in the NFL. Deion Jones was right there for us to draft but instead we drafted Spriggs.  Deion Jones was drafted just a few picks later. The hybrid role remained unresolved until the very next year when we drafted Josh Jones. That didn't work and so we drafted Oren Burks and the jury is currently out on this one.

The Packers essentially chose to draft a backup OL who was never going to start ahead of Bakhtiari and Bulaga over a player who could start right away and make an impact on our defence. All this in the freaking 2nd round and with a trade up to boot. Urgh.

I hated that decision then and I hate it now.

Dieon Jones had the required size and speed but what especially made him stood out for me was his physicality, leadership and character. He had intangibles that would've been a wonderful addition to our defence and I was amazed that the Packers scouts and leadership did not see this. I'm still struggling to understand what was it about Spriggs they liked more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bakhtiari was unsigned and Bulaga had been hurt. Spriggs showed what I expected of him when he was playing healthy, that was just rare. OT with his movement skills are more rare than tweener S/LB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don't know what the deal is with Spriggs. They didn't reach an injury settlement so if we want to waive him now, he'll have to pass a physical first. Did we ever get any word from the organization regarding this cut? It will be hilarious if we somehow resign him on the cheap for 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Leader said:

Hmmmm......thats unfortunate in my book. Be interesting to figure out what (and where) this selection went wrong. 

Jones is a good mix of his own head and the Packers coaching staff wasting time with him as a safety. This guy was a LB from day 1. Knowing what we know now, would he have quit on us had we moved him there sooner? Who knows? Ted certainly missed on the football character of this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Chili said:

I pinpoint the moment where we went wrong was the Spriggs trade up. When we traded up we all knew the Packers were in a need of a S/ILB hybrid due to the increasing use of nickle and dime defences in the NFL. Deion Jones was right there for us to draft but instead we drafted Spriggs.  Deion Jones was drafted just a few picks later. The hybrid role remained unresolved until the very next year when we drafted Josh Jones. That didn't work and so we drafted Oren Burks and the jury is currently out on this one.

The Packers essentially chose to draft a backup OL who was never going to start ahead of Bakhtiari and Bulaga over a player who could start right away and make an impact on our defence. All this in the freaking 2nd round and with a trade up to boot. Urgh.

I hated that decision then and I hate it now. Dieon Jones had the required size and speed but what especially made him stood out for me was his physicality, leadership and character. He had intangibles that would've been a wonderful addition to our defence and I was amazed that the Packers scouts and leadership did not see this. I'm still struggling to understand what was it about Spriggs they liked more.

Apparently GBP FO considered the need for hybrid S/LB to be less than OL reinforcement. Cant put the timing of events back in place exactly - but I'd wager Bulaga's situation plus the presence of Burnett still came in to play with the decision. 

I look at it from a talent evaluation of application perspective....and either they FO (and scouts) gauged Jones skills wrong - or the coaches  couldnt figure out what round hole he fit in to. Be interesting to see where he goes and how he's used in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spilltray said:

Bakhtiari was unsigned and Bulaga had been hurt. Spriggs showed what I expected of him when he was playing healthy, that was just rare. OT with his movement skills are more rare than tweener S/LB.

Fair point. Sometimes I wonder had we made the right decision the first time round it wouldn't have screwed up the following year's draft pick. We could've had Juju, Kamara or Kupp as alternatives but because the hybrid S/ILB was still a need we passed up on those guys. We should've dealt with it the first time round instead of letting it linger to the following year.

XllqfVq.png

Edited by Chili

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Packer_ESP said:

I still don't know what the deal is with Spriggs. They didn't reach an injury settlement so if we want to waive him now, he'll have to pass a physical first. Did we ever get any word from the organization regarding this cut? It will be hilarious if we somehow resign him on the cheap for 2020.

To add to this, people that do this for a living like Zach Kruse are still saying that an injury settlement on Spriggs is certainly coming soon:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/25/packers-swing-and-miss-on-another-second-round-pick/

However, the injury settlement is only possible within 5 days of the Waived/Injured designation.

Quote

Teams and players have a 5 day window to agree to this settlement

https://overthecap.com/what-exactly-are-injury-settlements/

What's more, the Waived/Injured designation is mandatory for all non-vested veterans (less than four years of experience) so it was the only way Spriggs could be put on IR. It's NOT that the Packers chose to do this rather than outright IR him.

Quote
  • Prior to the first cutdown date in training camp, injured players with fewer than four years of service time cannot be placed on injured reserve until they pass through waivers. Teams will cut this sort of player with a waived-injured designation, allowing other teams to place a claim if they so choose. If the player goes unclaimed, his team can place him on IR or agree to an injury settlement, then fully release him from the roster.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/06/nfl-waivers-difference-release

With all of this in mind and unless I've missed something, there are only two possibilities here:

  1. The Packers wanted an injury settlement that Spriggs' agent felt was unfair and they couldn't reach a deal. Spriggs will remain on IR until he can pass a physical and then he will be released and become a FA.
  2. Spriggs really has a long term injury and the Packers really wanted to IR him. They will keep him there for the year and then either re-sign him for 2020 or let him walk as a FA, which would be weird after keeping him on IR through the year.

I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking this but there's absolutely no news about him anywhere and most of the takes I read about him (e.g. injury settlement coming soon) are factually incorrect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With a thinning linebacker group, the Packers put in a waiver claim for Nicholas Grigsby, most recently of the Baltimore Ravens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×