Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And somehow we're 7-2, and leading the NFC North.  And somehow you'd think we're 2-7 by reading some of these posts.

I disagree Wood. No one is jumping ship, just looking for a few answers. To quote the great and wise Draymond Green, "if you're not getting better, you're getting worse." This team has some issues, and yet we are 7-2. We still need to fix the issues, not pretend they don't exist because we have a good record, especially when the NFC is as tough as it is. 

• Like 1

Just now, packfanfb said:

I disagree Wood. No one is jumping ship, just looking for a few answers. To quote the great and wise Draymond Green, "if you're not getting better, you're getting worse." This team has some issues, and yet we are 7-2. We still need to fix the issues, not pretend they don't exist because we have a good record, especially when the NFC is as tough as it is. 

Yep .. defense is obviously a mess of late.  They've got to get that figured out or even if we make the playoffs we will be a one and done.  The offense was looking up, but then after a non-performance like yesterday it's got to be concerning.  Oh yeah .. special teams is still garbage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yep .. defense is obviously a mess of late.  They've got to get that figured out or even if we make the playoffs we will be a one and done.  The offense was looking up, but then after a non-performance like yesterday it's got to be concerning.  Oh yeah .. special teams is still garbage.

The offense I'm willing to just look the other way on that performance. A lot of things happened that typically don't starting with 69 and 75 getting worked all day. I've never seen that happen to them. Offensively, just no rhythm, and frankly, it probably didn't help that they didn't touch the ball for the first time until 7 minutes left in the 1st quarter. If we see any trends start to develop next week, there should be concern. Right now, I'm banking on the offense rebounding. 

Defensively, it's a different story because the problems against LA were the same ones we've seen for most of the year. 1. Can't stop the run, 2. No one can pressure the QB whose name isn't Smith, and 3. this defense right now, lives or dies by turnovers in key moments. Even last week, if that Lancaster fumble never happens, it's a whole different ball game. Against the Raiders, if Carr doesn't fumble on the one, it's a whole different game. Those plays are nice, but they aren't signs of consistent defensively-sound football. They are just breaks, sometimes forced, sometimes luck. Hard to survive on that alone. 

1 hour ago, Toddfather said:

Do we have to cap  room to bring in any more legit free agents next off season? I think the Jimmy Graham experiment should be over so that will clear up room. I agree with the group that thinks Gute has done a good job considering what he was left with and considering how much longer he has Rodgers. I still think yesterday is a throw away game but we will learn a lot in the next three weeks. Carolina looks good and they can run. That is something we can't stop. Then we will see how this team does coming off a bye and going back out west to play  a very good 49'ers team.

Well... We probably cut Graham.  Tramon, Crosby, and Bulaga are FAs with large contracts.

But do we re-sign Martinez? Bulaga? Crosby? When do we extend Clark? 

I kind of think that this was the FA splurge year and next year will be a draft and maybe comp pick year.

36 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Well... We probably cut Graham.  Tramon, Crosby, and Bulaga are FAs with large contracts.

But do we re-sign Martinez? Bulaga? Crosby? When do we extend Clark? 

I kind of think that this was the FA splurge year and next year will be a draft and maybe comp pick year.

That's my thinking as well. I just hope Gute keeps drafting well.

Matt Bowen - Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey (24 carries, 146 yards, 2 TDs) — 22 personnel in the game on the 58 yard TD run. Power scheme.

• Andy Herman - No two ways about it; this is going to be a massive problem. Defense has its work cut out for it. Panthers strength = Packers weakness.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We got our *** handed to us by a good (but not great) Chargers team.  Minnesota lost to a Mahomes-less Chiefs team, Colts lost to Big Ben-less Steelers team, etc.  Every team has off days.  I'm not making any kind of definitive opinions of this team based on one game.  God, we're spoiled.

But since the Detroit game, they haven't looked like an intimidating team. For all intents and purpose, they should have lost the Detroit game. The Oakland game was far closer than the score indicated. In fact, the raiders came up with no points in the red zone three times, 2 of which occurred inside the 5 yard line. The Kansas City game turned late on the McCoy fumble, and was in question to that point. This has been a steady pattern of less than ideal play. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

Matt Bowen - Panthers RB Christian McCaffrey (24 carries, 146 yards, 2 TDs) — 22 personnel in the game on the 58 yard TD run. Power scheme.

• Andy Herman - No two ways about it; this is going to be a massive problem. Defense has its work cut out for it. Panthers strength = Packers weakness.

Actually love this. We're coming off an embarrassing loss to face a team that does best what we struggle at the most. No better chance for Pettine and co. to show that they can rebound in a big game against a 5-3 team with playoff aspirations. We rebounded after the Philly loss with a big win at Dallas. Either we do so again, or we're going to let McCaffrey run through gaping holes all day and prove all the critics right....that this defense is still a farce that isn't built for playoff-style football. 

Edited by packfanfb

24 minutes ago, Howler said:

But since the Detroit game, they haven't looked like an intimidating team. For all intents and purpose, they should have lost the Detroit game. The Oakland game was far closer than the score indicated. In fact, the raiders came up with no points in the red zone three times, 2 of which occurred inside the 5 yard line. The Kansas City game turned late on the McCoy fumble, and was in question to that point. This has been a steady pattern of less than ideal play. 

Oh my God, seriously with this stuff.  Go watch the mistakes the Bills made in the Patriots game.  By this very same logic we were a good team last year because we were like a play away from beating the NFC Champions, the Seahawks and other playoff teams.

Winners win, losers lose.  There’s a reason why we’re such a good red zone defense.  It’s kinda our philosophy.  Bend, don’t break.  We had like 7 first downs all game yesterday until that first and only TD drive and our defense gave up only 19 points.  Chargers had the ball for like 40 minutes.  We are not a bad defense.  We’re not great like we thought we were, but we are absolutely an above average defense.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

We are not a bad defense.  We’re not great like we thought we were, but we are absolutely an above average defense.

The defense is getting a bit of a crucifixion.....but the offense did us (or them) absolutely no good yesterday.

• Like 2

The defense isn’t to blame. It’s year 2 of likely a 3/4 year plan to remake the defense.

The charger game is on Rodgers, Matt and the offense (specifically thinking Bakh and Bryan had their matchups in the bag).

Game they kept GB in the game until mid/late in the 3rd.

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Oh my God, seriously with this stuff.  Go watch the mistakes the Bills made in the Patriots game.  By this very same logic we were a good team last year because we were like a play away from beating the NFC Champions, the Seahawks and other playoff teams.

Winners win, losers lose.  There’s a reason why we’re such a good red zone defense.  It’s kinda our philosophy.  Bend, don’t break.  We had like 7 first downs all game yesterday until that first and only TD drive and our defense gave up only 19 points.  Chargers had the ball for like 40 minutes.  We are not a bad defense.  We’re not great like we thought we were, but we are absolutely an above average defense.

The first 4.5 games of defense are carrying the last 4.5 to make us come out above average.

Philly punched us pretty good, other than that you can't compare what we've seen recently to how we've started the season.

The latter half games thus far is not the defense you've been asking for in the playoffs, I'll tell you that much.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

The first 4.5 games of defense are carrying the last 4.5 to make us come out above average.

Philly punched us pretty good, other than that you can't compare what we've seen recently to how we've started the season.

The latter half games thus far is not the defense you've been asking for in the playoffs, I'll tell you that much.

Even these past few games we are still an average to above average defense.  Doesn’t feel like it, but it’s true.  Average points scored a game is like 24 in today’s NFL.