Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Ben Fennell -  Packers Run Defense:

Yards Per Game (24th)
Yards Per Carry (25th)
Runs of 4yds+ (32nd)

Pettine prefers sub personnel but that is EARNED. Must stop run first & foremost!
A possible solution? More downhill, aggressive run blitzes this week vs CAR

• Like 1

On 04/11/2019 at 5:39 PM, packfanfb said:

I disagree Wood. No one is jumping ship, just looking for a few answers. To quote the great and wise Draymond Green, "if you're not getting better, you're getting worse." This team has some issues, and yet we are 7-2. We still need to fix the issues, not pretend they don't exist because we have a good record, especially when the NFC is as tough as it is. 

The issues on defence are pretty alarming.

For the last few years virtually all resources have been pumped into defence. Virtually all the premium draft picks have gone into the defensive side of the ball. We have gone out and got Pettine two expensive high end pass rushers - rebuilt the safety position with a first round draft pick and high end free agent - we have  a stud DL (admittedly on a bit of a down year) and have thrown multiple high picks into the cornerback position.

This should be a top 5 defence.  There really shouldn't be any excuses now.

Its probably Rodgers best year as a pro - he shouldn't be having to carry this team now, his receivers basically resemble a practice squad and his tight ends are nearly as old as me or permanently injured.  The defence should be the superstar of the team now and it isn't

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

firepettine 

If he doesn't adjust after this debacle I'd be inclined to agree.  No decent Defense plays bend but don't break.  That is a crock right along with the prevent Defense.  Just allowing your opponent to systematically eat up clock and march down the field is no game plan.  Scrap it.  If you give up an occasional big play so what.  Giving them up now anyway.  Just pathetic.  Our DL needs an upgrade but that's no excuse Pettine should be putting his players in position to succeed.  Right now he's not.

I'm with most everyone else .. play as aggressive as you can and go down swinging if it comes to it.  What we've seen the past few weeks is a joke.  The entire middle of the field has been wide open.  Get up on these receivers and jam them.  Get the personnel on the field that can actually stuff the run.  Quit making it easy for opponents.  Relying on turnovers to come your way is a losing strategy.  Go out an make the turnovers happen with aggressive play.

• Like 2

It’s sad when instead of a person who has been in football his entire life, an Internet forum can come together and come up with a better defensive game plan and philosophy.

I’m ready for that call, Murphy.  Let the FootballsFuture Packer subforum get hired as the new defensive coordinator.  We will all share half of Pettine’s salary.

14 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm with most everyone else .. play as aggressive as you can and go down swinging if it comes to it.  What we've seen the past few weeks is a joke.  The entire middle of the field has been wide open.  Get up on these receivers and jam them.  Get the personnel on the field that can actually stuff the run.  Quit making it easy for opponents.  Relying on turnovers to come your way is a losing strategy.  Go out an make the turnovers happen with aggressive play.

In my opinion the biggest problem is Kenny Clark. He plays far too many snaps, he is carrying two injuries, he doesn't have a high enough quality replacement to be subbed in for him. When Clark is fit again, the defense will tighten up. The solution (after this season) is a mid-round pick on a run-stopping 1 tech. The short term solution is the bye week that comes after the Carolina game and a greater willingness by Pettine, to field fronts that don't include him for a few snaps to allow him more recovery time.

There are other potential longer term things that can help. Maybe Adams can feature more (if he can keep improving). Lancaster seems to have regressed some. Keke is an alternative to play alongside Clark next year, and the other overused defenders (the Smiths) will have Rashan Gary to help spell them and keep them fresher. Since this is meant to be a very good year for drafting ILBs, a 2nd or 3rd rounder here would also help. As you add up the small benefits they can turn into a big difference in how the defense plays.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

The issues on defence are pretty alarming.

For the last few years virtually all resources have been pumped into defence. Virtually all the premium draft picks have gone into the defensive side of the ball. We have gone out and got Pettine two expensive high end pass rushers - rebuilt the safety position with a first round draft pick and high end free agent - we have  a stud DL (admittedly on a bit of a down year) and have thrown multiple high picks into the cornerback position.

This should be a top 5 defence.  There really shouldn't be any excuses now.

Its probably Rodgers best year as a pro - he shouldn't be having to carry this team now, his receivers basically resemble a practice squad and his tight ends are nearly as old as me or permanently injured.  The defence should be the superstar of the team now and it isn't

DE: Ford (1st)

DE: Armstead/Bosa (1st, 1st)

DT: Buckner (1st)

DT: D.j. Jones (6th)

OLB: Greenlaw (5th)

OLB: Alexander (3rd)

MLB: Warner (3rd)

CB: Sherman (5th)

CB: Witherspoon (3rd)

SS: Ward (1st)

FS: Tartt (2nd)

1st(4), 2nd(1), 3rd(3), 5th(2), 6th(1). This has nothing to do with anything but it was interesting to look at. I kind of want to do this for other teams to see the correlation to high draft picks and successful defenses.

Just now, Kenrik said:

DE: Ford (1st)

DE: Armstead/Bosa (1st, 1st)

DT: Buckner (1st)

DT: D.j. Jones (6th)

OLB: Greenlaw (5th)

OLB: Alexander (3rd)

MLB: Warner (3rd)

CB: Sherman (5th)

CB: Witherspoon (3rd)

SS: Ward (1st)

FS: Tartt (2nd)

1st(4), 2nd(1), 3rd(3), 5th(2), 6th(1). This has nothing to do with anything but it was interesting to look at. I kind of want to do this for other teams to see the correlation to high draft picks and successful defenses.

DE: Lowry (4th)

NT: Clark (1st)

DE: Adams (3rd)

OLB: Smith (4th)

OLB: Smith (2nd)

ILB: Machinez (4th)

CB: Jaire (1st)

CB: King (2nd)

CB: Tramon (UDFA)

S: Savage (1st)

S: Amos (5th)

1st(3), 2nd(2), 3rd(3), 4th(3), 5th(1), UDFA(1). Pretty spread out. 2011-2015 1st rounders are gone. 

DE: Guy (7th) *GB

DE: SImon (4th) *Bal

NT: Shelton (1st) *CLE

OLB: Collins (2nd)

OLB: Van Noy (2nd) *Det

ILB: Hightower (1st)

ILB: Roberts (6th)

CB: McCourtey (6th) *Tenn

CB: Gilmore (1st) *Buf

FS: McCourty (1st)

SS: Chung (2nd)

1st(4), 2nd(3), 4th(1), 6th(2), 7th(1). 5 out of the 11 were drafted by NE.