Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I gotta believe MLF and Pettine aren’t dumb to their paltry defensive performance these past few weeks.  I’m going to try and convince myself that there’s a damn good reason to explain this steep slide backwards - probably something explainable that we’re unaware of - so that I can maintain some shred of hope that our beloved team is in good hands.  Getting hard to stomach though.

Rob Demovsky - The Packers have allowed 39 plays of 20-plus yards. The explosive gains have killed the Packers' defense. Among the 39 plays are 13 of 40 yards or more, including two in Sunday's loss to the Chargers. It's fine if the Packers are getting takeaways, which they've done better at than last season; but without turnovers, the big plays allowed are killers.

/////////////////

I dont know how this 20+ stat matches up to other teams, but if we're playing soft to prevent the big play................
If would appear not to be working.

4 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I still think they should bulk Gary up and play him on the d-line next to Kenny Clark.

Help IS needed for Kenny Clark (as I said one page back), who needs to recover from his injuries and he needs to play less snaps so he doesn't wear down through the season. However, help is also needed for the Smiths, since they too need to be rotated in and out more. Gary can be the Smith's replacement if he improves enough to supplant Fackrell. Keke can help in time, spelling the DEs.

Lancaster doesn't seem to be the answer to keeping Clark fresh, so I'd be looking to draft a better NT to rotate in, whether it is Rashard Lawrence (LSU) in round one, Benito Jones (Ole Miss) in the 3rd round, or Khalil Davis (Nebraska) in the 4th (or someone else). Round one seems too early to get a pure Clark substitute, but he could also pair up with Clark in some 2 DL fronts with 3 OLBs alongside. A round 3 or 4 pick is probably more of a pure 2nd string sub.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Help IS needed for Kenny Clark (as I said one page back), who needs to recover from his injuries and he needs to play less snaps so he doesn't wear down through the season. However, help is also needed for the Smiths, since they too need to be rotated in and out more. Gary can be the Smith's replacement if he improves enough to supplant Fackrell. Keke can help in time, spelling the DEs.

Lancaster doesn't seem to be the answer to keeping Clark fresh, so I'd be looking to draft a better NT to rotate in, whether it is Rashard Lawrence (LSU) in round one, Benito Jones (Ole Miss) in the 3rd round, or Khalil Davis (Nebraska) in the 4th (or someone else). Round one seems too early to get a pure Clark substitute, but he could also pair up with Clark in some 2 DL fronts with 3 OLBs alongside. A round 3 or 4 pick is probably more of a pure 2nd string sub.

If we're going going to be playing 2 d-lineman most of the time it would make sense to have another guy like Clark and go for that guy in round 1. Keke  has some pass rush potential with what we saw in preseason. Then you have Lowry and Adams who can eat up snaps in situational football. 

I'm OK with going IDL in round 1, OT in 2 and ILB again in round 3 personally. Love to get a WR, but not sure we do. 

4 hours ago, Golfman said:

If we're going going to be playing 2 d-lineman most of the time it would make sense to have another guy like Clark and go for that guy in round 1. Keke  has some pass rush potential with what we saw in preseason. Then you have Lowry and Adams who can eat up snaps in situational football. 

I'm OK with going IDL in round 1, OT in 2 and ILB again in round 3 personally. Love to get a WR, but not sure we do. 

Before you posted I did a fanspeak draft (5 rounds), where I ended up with:

1) DL Rashard Lawrence (LSU)
2) OT Prince Tega Wanogho (Auburn) This would require Bulaga being retained for another contract (2-3 years). Wanogho has all that you want in a tackle but needs experience.
3) ILB Monty Rice (Georgia) Loads of ILBs available this year (unlike last year) so you can get a fairly good one in round 3. Rice will do the dirty stuff and has good short area quickness.
4) WR Jalen Reagor A 5'11" 190lb speed burner who could have several uses, both in the Packers offense and on ST.
5) RB Patrick Taylor (Memphis) A 6'3", 225lb bruiser who is very good in pass pro.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Less about last week and more the last 4-5 weeks.  Defense not the reason GB was winning those games.  

Yes and no. We’ve given up around 12 points on average in the second half the last four weeks; around 24 points per game. It’s not dominating, it’s about average. Our defense has not looked as bad as our offense looked this past Sunday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

Yes and no. We’ve given up around 12 points on average in the second half the last four weeks; around 24 points per game. It’s not dominating, it’s about average. Our defense has not looked as bad as our offense looked this past Sunday.

I don't know how anybody could have watched the last few games and think that our offense is the issue.  

We have been a bottom 5 defense over the past 5 weeks.   Can't get off the field, can't stop the run.   Same old for the Packers.   if the offense doesn't put the defense onits back and carry them, you wind up with a game like last Sunday.

24 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

I don't know how anybody could have watched the last few games and think that our offense is the issue.  

We have been a bottom 5 defense over the past 5 weeks.   Can't get off the field, can't stop the run.   Same old for the Packers.   if the offense doesn't put the defense onits back and carry them, you wind up with a game like last Sunday.

He's talking about last week's offensive performance specifically. No need to be disingenuous.

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

He's talking about last week's offensive performance specifically. No need to be disingenuous.

Let's face it … defense the past 4 games hasn't been anything but average if at that.  Offensively, the past 4 games has been good overall with last week being a forget about it game.  That being said, let's get back to the run, using the backs on passes and getting the ball out quickly.  This week it's all about stopping the run and I don't care if you put all 11 on the line of scrimmage.  Stop the frickin run and if we get burned so be it.  No soft zone or bend but don't break this week!

• Like 1