Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Bill Huber -  With five more on Sunday, Za'Darius Smith leads the NFL in QB hits and has more than GB's top two guys (Matthews and Fackrell) combined last season. And there's four games to go so he could beat GB's top three from last year (Matthews, Fackrell and Kenny Clark).

Jason Wilde -  The NYGiants stink. I get it. Beating them is no epic accomplishment. But as a fan, what fun is it to watch a 31-13 win and then bemoan the negatives? Crosby kicks while mourning. Bulaga plays with a torn MCL. 12 throws 4 TDs. Packers get back on track. That’s all good, no?

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Jason Wilde -  The NYGiants stink. I get it. Beating them is no epic accomplishment. But as a fan, what fun is it to watch a 31-13 win and then bemoan the negatives? Crosby kicks while mourning. Bulaga plays with a torn MCL. 12 throws 4 TDs. Packers get back on track. That’s all good, no?

Jason is right, and yet most of Packer nation senses that something is wrong.  It's there, it's palpable, and it's hard to identify, but there's definitely something missing that's creating this unsettling feeling.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Jason is right, and yet most of Packer nation senses that something is wrong.  It's there, it's palpable, and it's hard to identify, but there's definitely something missing that's creating this unsettling feeling.  

No it’s not... it’s called Packers getting their lunch money taken away from the big bad 49ers... without looking like they are at least in their same league.

It’s a similar issue like Dallas. Yeah they get into the playoff but what good is it if they can’t beat the teams in the playoffs?

So fans can’t enjoy the journey because they believe they know the ending.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Green19 said:

No it’s not... it’s called Packers getting their lunch money taken away from the big bad 49ers... without looking like they are at least in their same league.

It’s a similar issue like Dallas. Yeah they get into the playoff but what good is it if they can’t beat the teams in the playoffs?

I think going into this season most of us would have simply been happy with a return to the playoffs .. then we got spoiled a bit after the great start.  The beatings we took in Cali have brought us back to the realization that we probably are not ready for prime time in 2019.   I'm going to try and enjoy things from here on out and hope we get hot at the right time.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I think it goes back further. The defense hasn't been the same since Raven Greene went out. Add to that the fact that Kenny Clarke is wearing down due to having to play too many snaps and some injuries, Savage's injury, and Tyler Friggen Lancaster playing lots of snaps, the defense has personnel problems that can only be corrected with another off-season. I think you've advocated for replacing Pettine, but I doubt there is any defensive coordinator who could put a solid defense on the field given the personnel manning the center of the defense. Tyler Lancaster, Adams, Lowery, Martinez, Campbell, etc. (even with Clarke) are a recipe for mediocrity. One major miscalculation was thinking that Adams/Lancaster could replace Daniels. They were right to let Daniels go. They were wrong thinking his replacement was already on the roster. I think the consensus on this board is for the offseason to bring IDL and ILB help. The right combination of draft choices and FAs could put this defense into the top 10. We all have to keep in mind that this is only year two of Pettine's rebuilding process. As Rodgers declines due to age and injury (he hasn't been right since his broken right collarbone and the infamous 13 screws) the identity of the Packers must change from a superstar QB playing hero ball to overcome a mediocre defense, to a team with a top ten defense and a QB playing game manager. I think that's a viable road to the Super Bowl.

Best post in a long time sir … well done.

11 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think going into this season most of us would have simply been happy with a return to the playoffs .. then we got spoiled a bit after the great start.  The beatings we took in Cali have brought us back to the realization that we probably are not ready for prime time in 2019.   I'm going to try and enjoy things from here on out and hope we get hot at the right time.    

I agree, just saying to Jason Wilde... that’s why fans can’t enjoy the game. Because the expectations changed.

GB have a good shot at the 2nd seed (really just need the 49ers to beat the saints and GB wins out).

The 49er game changes everything I think for the fan mindset. So for the rest of the season you are just going to get fans not satisfied until playoffs and GB beating a good/great team... more so in a manner that makes them believe again.

Edited by Green19

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I feel like this board is sharing a trampoline with me this year, and when most others are down, I find myself up high.

I felt real good about this team before the preseason games had started, due to the comparatively young and expensive veteran additions, the new(ish) GM, the new HC with a fresh attitude and new playbook, and many new coaches under him. I made a bet for the Packers to win the Lombardi at a time when many here were talking 8-8 and some even worse (I never thought the SB was a done deal or anything, but I felt they had a good chance and i liked the 16-1 odds).

Now, when many are talking about firing Pettine, I still feel he is a good DC and will turn it around, maybe not this year, but by next year. I also think La Fleur will get better at playcalling.

So where are my personal down times ?  Maybe I'll get miserable when the Packers win the SB and everyone else is delirious, I don't know.

Maybe I need to listen the 'The Smiths' more..........................."I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now".

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

you just described how im feeling lol

5 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

you just described how im feeling lol

It’s always the issue with GB fans... a lot were worried going into the game, looking for the team to give them a reason to believe. When they got it handed to them it just confirmed in many minds their fear.

GB is good but not great and can’t compete with the “true” contenders. Obviously all of this is false. GB can go to SF in January and win still. But no one is going to believe it until the game is over with GB having more points.

GB can beat Minn going away... the feeling will be there until GB wins in the playoffs and beats SEA, SF or NO. Those are the measuring sticks for fans.

4 minutes ago, Green19 said:

It’s always the issue with GB fans... a lot were worried going into the game, looking for the team to give them a reason to believe. When they got it handed to them it just confirmed in many minds their fear.

GB is good but not great and can’t compete with the “true” contenders. Obviously all of this is false. GB can go to SF in January and win still. But no one is going to believe it until the game is over with GB having more points.

GB can beat Minn going away... the feeling will be there until GB wins in the playoffs and beats SEA, SF or NO. Those are the measuring sticks for fans.

playoffs are the only measuring stick that matters. in the end.

8 minutes ago, Green19 said:

It's the NFL. anybody CAN beat anybody. It's a matter of likelihood.