Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's the NFL. anybody CAN beat anybody. It's a matter of likelihood.

Exactly and after the 49ers game fans’ “likelihood” took a huge hit. Maybe it was too high to begin with.

But that’s the issue... fans got their hopes up, 49ers crushed them. So for Wilde it shouldn’t be that hard to understand. This isn’t Cleveland, or Cinn... GB has a QB and playoff positioning (potentially). Fans are upset because the “likelyhood” is it will go to waste.

i blame Brady, Patriots and the AFC. Look at any other hall of famer and Rodgers is right in line with similar success. Brees is in the same spot... worse because he is older.

Edited by Green19

12 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Exactly and after the 49ers game fans’ “likelihood” took a huge hit. Maybe it was too high to begin with.

But that’s the issue... fans got their hopes up, 49ers crushed them. So for Wilde it shouldn’t be that hard to understand. This isn’t Cleveland, or Cinn... GB has a QB and playoff positioning (potentially). Fans are upset because the “likelyhood” is it will go to waste.

i blame Brady, Patriots and the AFC. Look at any other hall of famer and Rodgers is right in line with similar success. Brees is in the same spot... worse because he is older.

I mean, yeah, there's no reason to think this team is a super bowl squad. 

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I doubt any of us thought the 2010 Packers were heading to the big dance on 12/2/2010.  It can happen .. just got to get on a roll at the right time.  

No, all the analytics said that team was a monster that had caught some bad luck. Guys like Waldo were already keyed to that.

All the analytics say this team is a slightly above average team that's had fantastic luck.

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I mean, yeah, there's no reason to think this team is a super bowl squad. 

This might be the first year where a one & done playoff team wouldn’t feel like a disappointment considering none of us expected to be where we are this fast.  But @{Family Ghost} is right about anything being possible. We could get hot down the stretch & put it all together.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, all the analytics said that team was a monster that had caught some bad luck. Guys like Waldo were already keyed to that.

All the analytics say this team is a slightly above average team that's had fantastic luck.

Interesting .. I do remember that team dropping several close games throughout the regular season and having to win their last two just to get into the playoffs.  I don't think I expected them to go nearly as far as they did with so many injuries.  This team at least has had good health luck.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Which team does analytics think is the best right now?  We'll put it to the test. 

For the record, I already know we're not winning the Super Bowl this year.  Aaron's making too much, and if Brady/Manning/Young/Montana can't win it all while getting paid higher than 13%, 2019 Rodgers certainly isn't. 

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Which team does analytics think is the best right now?  We'll put it to the test. 

For the record, I already know we're not winning the Super Bowl this year.  Aaron's making too much, and if Brady/Manning/Young/Montana can't win it all while getting paid higher than 13%, 2019 Rodgers certainly isn't. 

DVOA hasn't come out for week 13 yet, but as of now it's the Ravens.

33 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, all the analytics said that team was a monster that had caught some bad luck. Guys like Waldo were already keyed to that. All the analytics say this team is a slightly above average team that's had fantastic luck.

Just busting on ya here....but how exactly do the analytics break down and represent luck?

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Just busting on ya here....but how exactly do the analytics break down and represent luck?

Different stats do it differently.

Point differential is the easiest: look at your expected record based on point differential. Compare it to the actual record.

Football Outsiders has a stat that they actually calculate based on random occurrences like fumble recovery rate, opposing special teams gaffes, etc.

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

DVOA hasn't come out for week 13 yet, but as of now it's the Ravens.

I know we’re not as good a team as the Ravens or Niners, but I don’t think we’re as bad as your analytics suggest.  On a Neutral field, I see three teams being able to beat us if we play our best.  I think a lot of your DVOA stuff reflects poorly on what kind of team we are.  

Also, like I said, bad teams sometimes do incredible things when balls bounce their way.  Just look at what happened to us in 2014.  We were, at that point in the season, the best team in the league.  We certainly did NOT start that way, but after Clay had been at ILB for about 4 weeks, we were.  What we are now is not what we have to be.  

I said at the start of this season that this year is a plus if we win one playoff game.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I know we’re not as good a team as the Ravens or Niners, but I don’t think we’re as bad as your analytics suggest.  On a Neutral field, I see three teams being able to beat us if we play our best.  I think a lot of your DVOA stuff reflects poorly on what kind of team we are.  

Really sick of hearing about some hypothetical level we're supposedly capable of playing at but haven't shown in like 3 years.

• Like 1