Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

48 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

I don't get it.  Some want a wr who catch short, get the ball out quickly type offense.  Some want a wr who stretches the field with speed which requires holding the ball a little longer but offers nothing else.   If you want a get rid of the ball offense, Lazard is your guy.  If you want a down the field wide receiver who offers little else, MVS is your guy.   It would be great to have both working but when one or the other doesn't work .. it's go nuts time.     

Or you take GMO off the field and have both? 

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not sure I would describe this as "not clicking". Even Lazard's first catch of last week was an absolutely trash throw that we're just lucky the Giants suck.

My point is when MVS is on... Rodgers isn’t. When Rodgers is on... MVS isn’t. That’s what I mean by not clicking. I don’t think it’s because Rodgers can’t or doesn’t make those types of throws anymore.

It is clearly frustrating on both sides and it’s going to take the coaches to scheme MVS SHORTER “get right” routes that Rodgers can easily get out and allows MVS to use his speed. Give him jet sweeps, bubble screens, etc. Make positive memories.

You don’t do him any favors by just being... the shot guy. 

Because Rodgers isn’t going to risk throws being picked he is going to underthrow and over throw him... forcing MVS to make more separation, the separation HE feels comfortable with. They are a married couple that needs to get a divorce because there is a clear frustration in both. The coaches need to see it and help fix it.

41 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Simple, MVS does NOT fight for the ball.  He does NOT fight for position on the field.  He has turned into a speed only WR.  Lazard has passed him by because of, remember this,  TENACITY.  MVS has not displayed any of this on the field.  Training with Randy Moss isn't really a plus on your resume.  Until MVS finds TENACITY he will continue to lose reps to WRs who have some TENACITY.

Ummm you realize the whole “getting mossed” is about how Randy would literally go up and over people in jump ball situations and be the one that gets it... right? That’s winning the ball in situations when it’s not clearly yours.

It’s fine if you hate Randy because he made it into the hall literally by torching GB game after game, but don’t act like getting training from a Hall of Famer that both Tom Brady and Bill Belicheck have said is amazing student of the game hurts MVS.

MVS’s issue is he has a QB that wants it perfect. And wants to feel like he knows where guys are going to be. Lazard has gotten on Rodgers “page” more. For whatever reason Rodgers or MVS... they aren’t on the same page and Rodgers doesn’t trust it.

Edited by Green19

26 minutes ago, Green19 said:

It is clearly frustrating on both sides and it’s going to take the coaches to scheme MVS SHORTER “get right” routes that Rodgers can easily get out and allows MVS to use his speed. Give him jet sweeps, bubble screens, etc. Make positive memories.

You don’t do him any favors by just being... the shot guy. 

Sorry, but I don't see MVS as a sweep, screen type player.  He's not quick.  He's a long strider and fast on the top end.  Those screens and sweeps are about instant acceleration.  I don't see that from him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Sorry, but I don't see MVS as a sweep, screen type player.  He's not quick.  He's a long strider and fast on the top end.  Those screens and sweeps are about instant acceleration.  I don't see that from him.

That’s fine but they need to find shorter routes that work for him.

It basically needs to be an extended handoff. He needs confidence builders... same as Aaron.

Because the weekly “shot” play isn’t working and hasn’t since training camp. And if he can’t do the other stuff then he can’t be in the offense. Adams, Lazard and Kumerow should be the 3.

2 hours ago, Green19 said:

Ummm you realize the whole “getting mossed” is about how Randy would literally go up and over people in jump ball situations and be the one that gets it... right? That’s winning the ball in situations when it’s not clearly yours.

It’s fine if you hate Randy because he made it into the hall literally by torching GB game after game, but don’t act like getting training from a Hall of Famer that both Tom Brady and Bill Belicheck have said is amazing student of the game hurts MVS.

MVS’s issue is he has a QB that wants it perfect. And wants to feel like he knows where guys are going to be. Lazard has gotten on Rodgers “page” more. For whatever reason Rodgers or MVS... they aren’t on the same page and Rodgers doesn’t trust it.

Moss was a great WR, but that doesn't mean he's a great teacher.  Have you one example of MVS going up over someone and making a catch?  Give or show me one example of something MVS has employed into his game that Moss showed him.

You missed the whole point of my post so you could defend Moss?  Good for you if that floats your boat (another underhanded shot at MN football).

MVS doesn't have tenacity.  That was my point, can't believe you couldn't discern that, unless you're a contrarian- then I can't help you.

Edited by Dubz41

33 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Moss was a great WR, but that doesn't mean he's a great teacher.  Have you one example of MVS going up over someone and making a catch?  Give or show me one example of something MVS has employed into his game that Moss showed him.

You missed the whole point of my post so you could defend Moss?  Good for you if that floats your boat (another underhanded shot at MN football).

MVS doesn't have tenacity.  That was my point, can't believe you couldn't discern that, unless you're a contrarian- then I can't help you.

... Um no. I didn’t miss your point. You think MVS is soft basically, you just used tenacity as your choice of word to overly use to make a point.

And no I didn’t take my post as a chance to defend Moss. You threw Moss into the argument for a reason why MVS should not be seen as a good WR. Because I’m assuming the argument would go... if that’s the company you’re keeping... which to me is strange given your love for tenacious WRs. That was my point, is Randy was king 50/50 ball... he would go up and get it. Whether Moss is a good teacher isn’t a discussion because you didn’t care to go into depth about that. You clearly had an axe to grind, because it was just a quick throw away comment.

And it’s because one, you don’t like WRs like Moss or two, you have a personal issue with him. Either way I don’t really care. Just that it was a lame throw in to try and show why MVS is failing.

And MVS makes hard, contested catches... go watch the titans preseason game where he was going up as guys hung on him. I forget what vikings game but he basically went up caught the ball and had a guy go under him to like flip him and still made the catch. He is tough and tenacious enough.

My point... the coaches and Aaron have him just as a “shot” guy. And that’s easily defended if youre a one trick pony. And that’s why he is having no success. Plus it hurts when your hall of fame QB can’t hit you deep when you do get open.

But yeah tenacious!!!! That’s what he needs... just some more grit to him.

48 minutes ago, Green19 said:

... Um no. I didn’t miss your point. You think MVS is soft basically, you just used tenacity as your choice of word to overly use to make a point.

And no I didn’t take my post as a chance to defend Moss. You threw Moss into the argument for a reason why MVS should not be seen as a good WR. Because I’m assuming the argument would go... if that’s the company you’re keeping... which to me is strange given your love for tenacious WRs. That was my point, is Randy was king 50/50 ball... he would go up and get it. Whether Moss is a good teacher isn’t a discussion because you didn’t care to go into depth about that. You clearly had an axe to grind, because it was just a quick throw away comment.

And it’s because one, you don’t like WRs like Moss or two, you have a personal issue with him. Either way I don’t really care. Just that it was a lame throw in to try and show why MVS is failing.

And MVS makes hard, contested catches... go watch the titans preseason game where he was going up as guys hung on him. I forget what vikings game but he basically went up caught the ball and had a guy go under him to like flip him and still made the catch. He is tough and tenacious enough.

My point... the coaches and Aaron have him just as a “shot” guy. And that’s easily defended if youre a one trick pony. And that’s why he is having no success. Plus it hurts when your hall of fame QB can’t hit you deep when you do get open.

But yeah tenacious!!!! That’s what he needs... just some more grit to him.

You point out a couple of "go ups" for catches.  You don't mention the ones for whatever reason he doesn't.  Tenacious .. sorry ... doesn't/hasn't shown it.  And yes, more grit please as some would be appreciated. He's a one trick pony and we need more from him. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

You point out a couple of "go ups" for catches.  You don't mention the ones for whatever reason he doesn't.  Tenacious .. sorry ... doesn't/hasn't shown it.  And yes, more grit please as some would be appreciated. He's a one trick pony and we need more from him. 

Dubz ask for just one example. So I gave like 2. I’m not going to go make a cut up. He fights for yards and the ball. Tough players don’t fight every play for every yard. They are humans... they take plays off or decide to not take unnecessary hits. Unless they want to be Cam Newton and just be injuried.

Is he the toughest WR in league? No. On the packers’ roster? No. Is he tough enough to be a weapon in this league consistently? Yes.

Thats my point... if you “injected” more toughness into MVS game. He doesn’t find instant success. He was finding success already. He was going to be the number 2. His issue is he isn’t vibing with Rodgers and is now just the guy that runs a nine or post to clear out the safety on certain plays.

He is going the janis route.

I don’t care if he gets past over for others honestly. He can’t cut it, get someone who can. But if we are discussing the reason he isn’t cutting it... it is not because he lacks toughness or a will to compete.

Edited by Green19

Rob Demovsky - Former Packers All-Pro/Pro Bowl guard Josh Sitton, who last played for the Dolphins in 2018, has decided to retire as a Packer, the team announced. His end in Green Bay was surprising when they cut him the week before 2015 season opener.

• Like 1

Can't believe we are still arguing about MVS.   Nicest thing to say about him would be that he is JAG.   He requires perfect throws while specializing in routes that are difficult to throw perfectly.   It's a bad mix.  

Mentioning Moss and MVS in the same sentence makes little sense.   Their games are not similar.   Moss had exceptional ball skills,  MVS simply isn't in the same league.

4 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Can't believe we are still arguing about MVS.   Nicest thing to say about him would be that he is JAG.   He requires perfect throws while specializing in routes that are difficult to throw perfectly.   It's a bad mix.  

Mentioning Moss and MVS in the same sentence makes little sense.   Their games are not similar.   Moss had exceptional ball skills,  MVS simply isn't in the same league.

I think people only compare the 2 because they worked our together. 

7 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Only this Stockholm syndromed fan base would conclude that MVS needs a perfect ball because of one garbage ball thrown into double coverage, because the alternative is acknowledging that our QB throws a worse deep ball than Jack Coan. Realistically how many vertical routes has Rodgers hit a receiver in stride this year? Less than 5? He's literally not an NFL caliber thrower of the deep ball at this point.

• Like 1