Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Only this Stockholm syndromed fan base would conclude that MVS needs a perfect ball because of one garbage ball thrown into double coverage, because the alternative is acknowledging that our QB throws a worse deep ball than Jack Coan. Realistically how many vertical routes has Rodgers hit a receiver in stride this year? Less than 5? He's literally not an NFL caliber thrower of the deep ball at this point.

For those not keeping up to date with the latest Badger news.....

Jack Coan is an American football quarterback for the Wisconsin Badgers. He was born in Sayville, New York, went to Sayville High School and in 2019 became the starting quarterback for the Wisconsin Badgers.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

For those not keeping up to date with the latest Badger news.....

Jack Coan is an American football quarterback for the Wisconsin Badgers. He was born in Sayville, New York, went to Sayville High School and in 2019 became the starting quarterback for the Wisconsin Badgers.

im a BIG jack coan guy. dudes a guy playing a dude playing another guy

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Only this Stockholm syndromed fan base would conclude that MVS needs a perfect ball because of one garbage ball thrown into double coverage, because the alternative is acknowledging that our QB throws a worse deep ball than Jack Coan. Realistically how many vertical routes has Rodgers hit a receiver in stride this year? Less than 5? He's literally not an NFL caliber thrower of the deep ball at this point.

Thank you.  I’m not even touching the “MVS doesn’t fight for a ball” narrative.  Some idiot on Twitter said it and now everyone here acts like it’s some fact.  If Bertie Boatman said Lazard has the best ball fighting hands he’s ever seen, people would gobble it up and act like Lazard is future HOF material.

18 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Thank you.  I’m not even touching the “MVS doesn’t fight for a ball” narrative.  Some idiot on Twitter said it and now everyone here acts like it’s some fact.  If Bertie Boatman said Lazard has the best ball fighting hands he’s ever seen, people would gobble it up and act like Lazard is future HOF material.

It does grow tiresome that every twitter user with an obsolete copy of Windows Movie Maker is now a film guru. Same phenomenon with youtube channels that seemingly exist only to repackage other people's tutorials/projects/whatever with less experience backing them. Far too many people concerned more with making sure their mark on the world is most noticeable than with ensuring that mark actually contributes anything. Democratization of information is a double-edged blade and I'm apparently a cantankerous old man at the age of 28.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Fine, I'll jump. I'm pretty sure I said it like 6 games ago and have been pretty consistent. Never saw anything on Twitter. Not saying Rodgers has been a good deep thrower, he hasn't, but to me that's why we are seeing this issue, he's missing and MVS doesn't adjust back very well, that's what I've seen. Maybe I'm making too much of it for the few times it's happened I guess.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Norm said:

Fine, I'll jump. I'm pretty sure I said it like 6 games ago and have been pretty consistent. Never saw anything on Twitter. Not saying Rodgers has been a good deep thrower, he hasn't, but to me that's why we are seeing this issue, he's missing and MVS doesn't adjust back very well, that's what I've seen. Maybe I'm making too much of it for the few times it's happened I guess.

Me too.  No twitter account, just observed it watching games.

Sorry it doesn't jibe with the 'all Aaron's fault' argument.  This is it's own thing. MVS just hasn't taken the year two jump we've hoped for and part of it is his own doing.

Edited by Dubz41
expanded thoughts
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Norm said:

If a WR has 5 yards of vertical separation and running a fly, there are pretty much zero scenarios where a HOF QB should be dropping that ball behind him. 

Edited by Cheesehawk

7 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

If a WR has 5 yards of vertical separation and running a fly, there are pretty much zero scenarios where a HOF QB should be dropping that ball behind him. 

And I'm certainly one of the people who has **** all over Aaron for that, but that's a separate issue. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You are correct about Rodgers not throwing a great deep ball anymore.   But he is our QB for the next couple years.   Do you want to continue throwing out a receiver who simply isn't very good.  

It isn't 1 ball that would lead people to this conclusion.   You are either exaggerating to make a point, or not seeing the forest for the tree's with regards to MVS because you want to pin everything on Rodgers.   MVS does not adjust to throws very well at all.   Couple that with his consistent inability to make a catch that is contested at all and you wind up where we are.    We have seen these issues play out almost every game for the past two years.  

A QB who needs some help completing the deep passes coupled with a receiver who isn't able to give any.   Why do you think Lazard has jumped ahead?   Because he adjusts, and competes for the ball.   If only he had the long speed that MVS possesses.

And no - I have never been on twitter.  I draw my own conclusions.

Edited by hitnhope

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

You are correct about Rodgers not throwing a great deep ball anymore.   But he is our QB for the next couple years.   Do you want to continue throwing out a receiver who simply isn't very good.  

It isn't 1 ball that would lead people to this conclusion.   You are either exaggerating to make a point, or not seeing the forest for the tree's with regards to MVS because you want to pin everything on Rodgers.   MVS does not adjust to throws very well at all.   Couple that with his consistent inability to make a catch that is contested at all and you wind up where we are.    We have seen these issues play out almost every game for the past two years.  

A QB who needs some help completing the deep passes coupled with a receiver who isn't able to give any.   Why do you think Lazard has jumped ahead?   Because he adjusts, and competes for the ball.   If only he had the long speed that MVS possesses.

And no - I have never been on twitter.  I draw my own conclusions.

It's not "a great deep ball" it's "a deep ball average enough to not handicap this offense" 

32 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Presented without comment...

Passer Rating is inherently broken when looking at deep ball passing. All you need is 12.5 YPA to hit the full marks on that quarter of the formula. Everyone with a pulse will. 

Rodgers also hasn't thrown an INT on a deep ball yet so he's got full marks there also. In such a small sample size, one pick is uncharacteristically damaging. Other QBs will risk a pick on 3rd and long. Rodgers will take a sack. 

1/4 50 yards, 1TD and 0 INTs is a Passer Rating of 119. 

Deep ball passing is a small enough sample size that you need to look at volume and not efficiency.

+++

Football Outsiders had Rodgers at 17th in the league last year on deep ball accuracy at 47%. Is anybody feeling that Rodgers is hitting more of these this year?

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 1