Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'd sure hope they are ripping the video from a22 site then using their own players for easy rewinds already. Then for those timings they watch the timestamps on the video for the time to throws. Right?

That's what I'd do. 

Probably, but even that to be reporting a hundredth of a second? on what? 17,000 throws over a season? That seems highly unlikely.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

A completely unguaranteed 4/60 is intriguing though.

He's absolutely not worth a 1st anymore though. 

That's another way of looking at it. I just can't imagine cutting him until after year 3 unless he really did something heinous off the field, and he doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Probably, but even that to be reporting a hundredth of a second? on what? 17,000 throws over a season? That seems highly unlikely.

Yeah it would be a pretty time intensive thing to go down that far, I'd assume. Once you're pausing at that point, adding the hundredth would be easy, but now you're back at your original point, basically. There's no way they're nailing them dead on to that point every time, probably not that close. But it's something I guess. They should drop that last point but I'm sure they think it looks extra super fancy.

Also I defended PFF, I need a shower.

Edited by Norm

14 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yeah it would be a pretty time intensive thing to go down that far, I'd assume. Once you're pausing at that point, adding the hundredth would be easy, not you're back at your original point, basically. There's no way they're nailing them dead on to that number, probably not that close. But it's something I guess. They should drop that last point but I'm sure they think it looks extra super fancy.

Also I defended PFF, I need a shower.

I imagine the problem with dropping that extra decimal point though is they end up with 10 QBs that throw with 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, and 2.8 with no real differentiation. Which doesn't sell.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I imagine the problem with dropping that extra decimal point though is they end up with 10 QBs that throw with 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, and 2.8 with no real differentiation. Which doesn't sell.

NextGen Stats also breaks the stat out two decimal places.

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

Okay. That makes two statistical platforms that are misrepresenting their data. Fine with me.

Wait, you thought NFL Next Gen stats was serious with their data?????

You honestly think they're calculating to a hundreth of a percent the catch probability of each throw????? That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard of. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Wait, you thought NFL Next Gen stats was serious with their data?????

You honestly think they're calculating to a hundreth of a percent the catch probability of each throw????? That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard of. 

What's so absurd about that?  It's their stat they made up.  They can round it to whatever number they want.

It's just a stupid stat that has no real use and that it does not reflect with any kind of accuracy the probability of a catch since they do not have the necessary data to do that. Just a waste of time unless you just wanna be entertained with numbers and do not give a **** about their meaning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Wait, you thought NFL Next Gen stats was serious with their data????? You honestly think they're calculating to a hundreth of a percent the catch probability of each throw????? That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard of. 

LOL Calm down.

I'm not judging either stat platform. I dont look at or use either of them...but technically it can be done.

My initial post was simply for data / information purposes. You challenged whether PFF was representing their data correctly. Then last night ESPN showed NextGen stats on my TV screen and I noticed they too were carrying out their data to two decimals - so I mentioned it.

Thats it. 

As I said: You (apparently) think  two statistical platforms that are misrepresenting their data...or something like that. Fine with me.

Edit add on: Btw....the post that I made didnt deal with "the catch probability of each throw" (as you mention above) - it was the time from snap to release of the pass by the QBs listed....and I do think that time can be calculated.

Edited by Leader