Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

You think a person with a stopwatch is accurate to a hundredth of a second? You would be lucky to get within a tenth of a second.

They have electronic digital stopwatches that carry out two decimal places. The person simply needs to hit "start" - "stop" - and look at the data. Is that possible? Yes. I see no reason it couldnt be done and be representative of how quickly a given QB is releasing the ball on a pass play.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, waterfish_21 said:

I remember in college having to write a program that broke a video down by frames.  It could do things like calculate time between frames, wasn't 100% accurate but was considered pretty close.  This was used on videos on youtube.  Used a bit of open source code as well, very simple stuff.  The hardest part, not difficult, just time consuming and most likely inaccurate/inconsistent, would be finding the frame at which you start and stop the calculation.  But PFF supposedly has people that do this stuff all day anyways, so who knows.

Sure, in a lab setting you could take the all-22, upload it to a video player with clearly visible time stamps, go frame by frame and pray like hell you've got the exact frame where the ball moves off the line and the exact frame it's out of the QB's hand, and do it that way.

But average TV is 30 Frames per Second. So unless you're using specialized cameras, you don't even have hundredth of a second resolution on the damn cameras you're filming with

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You think a person with a stopwatch is accurate to a hundredth of a second? You would be lucky to get within a tenth of a second.

I can attest.  One of the tests I run is a penetration test (golddust.gif).  I have to time a needle being pushed by a weight for 5.0 seconds.  Extremely accurate, I tell you.  :D 

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

They have electronic digital stopwatches that carry out two decimal places. The person simply needs to hit "start" - "stop" - and look at the data. Is that possible? Yes. I see no reason it couldnt be done and be representative of how quickly a given QB is releasing the ball on a pass play.

It's not about the damn stopwatch, though that's another element of uncertainty. 

The person hitting start and stop isn't going to be anywhere close to a hundredth of a second. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not about the damn stopwatch, though that's another element of uncertainty. The person hitting start and stop isn't going to be anywhere close to a hundredth of a second. 

My work is done here.

I've provided you the data and thru subsequent discussion a means and method it could be done. I've also said multiple times I dont know if thats actually how its being done...just the most likely method.

You're "arguement" isnt with me. If you truly feel PFF (a fairly large and reputable stat platform) is putting out bogus analytical data to the industry....thats fine. I'll not try to convince you otherwise.

Outside of declaring the data (and organization) bogus, you can however contact them directly to ask. Thats your choice. 

I just provided the info for consideration.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leader said:

My work is done here.

I've provided you the data and thru subsequent discussion a means and method it could be done. I've also said multiple times I dont know if thats actually how its being done...just the most likely method.

You're "arguement" isnt with me. If you truly feel PFF (a fairly large and reputable stat platform) is putting out bogus analytical data to the industry....thats fine. I'll not try to convince you otherwise.

Outside of declaring the data (and organization) bogus, you can however contact them directly to ask. Thats your choice. 

I just provided the info for consideration.

You have not provided a means and method it could be done. The method you've provided is wholly insufficient for providing that degree of accuracy.

And PFF is not a reputable statistics organization. It's not audited. It doesn't have publicly available information regarding means and methods. There is no governmental or private certification of their statistical work. 

All departing U-M players with pro aspirations worked out for NFL scouts at U-M's Glick Field House today and, though it was off-limits to the media, Michigan shared a few insights, most notably from Funchess. He was clocked at a 4.48 40-yard dash, much better than the 4.75 he ran at the NFL combine.

Funchess sucks, but this is a huge difference lol