Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

9 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

did he really say that ?

It was more that we passed on Derwin James and Tremaine Edwards that he said it about, not necessarily Jaire.  And before he gets defensive I’ll admit that I’ve said bold things I was wrong about too, it’s just how he said it that stuck with me.  

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

It was more that we passed on Derwin James and Tremaine Edwards that he said it about, not necessarily Jaire.  And before he gets defensive I’ll admit that I’ve said bold things I was wrong about too, it’s just how he said it that stuck with me.  

I know all about being hot for a player. Loved Davemport as the Packers pick in that draft..........though I have no problems with who we got.

I was even ok with who we picked back at the time we picked him, because unusually, the Packers actually came out and said he was their main target all along, and time has proved them right. The last time I saw them that keen over a first round drafted player, was Clay Matthews.

Yeah I felt very strongly about Derwin and Edwards and still do. You don't see me complaining anywhere about Jaire. Which is why it's odd that someone felt the need to tag me. And the Packers structure is not holding them back right now. Doesn't mean it might not cause issues later when egos grow. And it doesn't mean the Ron Wolf model, which I prefer, is dead and buried either. The book isn't written on any of these things. But that's the nature of this forum I guess.

3 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Yeah I felt very strongly about Derwin and Edwards and still do. You don't see me complaining anywhere about Jaire. Which is why it's odd that someone felt the need to tag me. And the Packers structure is not holding them back right now. Doesn't mean it might not cause issues later when egos grow. And it doesn't mean the Ron Wolf model, which I prefer, is dead and buried either. The book isn't written on any of these things. But that's the nature of this forum I guess.

Didn't you swear up and down that the current structure wouldn't work?

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Didn't you swear up and down that the current structure wouldn't work?

I expressed distaste for Murphy grabbing power that of an owner and concern that the GM was being marginalized. Are we sure that it's time to close the book on this one? Are we assuming everyone involved will stay satisfied with less control than offered in other places? No chance the concerns I raised will ever present themselves? Ok, suit yourself.

4 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I expressed distaste for Murphy grabbing power that of an owner and concern that the GM was being marginalized. Are we sure that it's time to close the book on this one? Are we assuming everyone involved will stay satisfied with less control than offered in other places? No chance the concerns I raised will ever present themselves? Ok, suit yourself.

You were not the only one that was concerned about Murphy and his control. A lot of people were skeptical of Murphy and even more about getting a new coach. All the concerns were valid and not without reason. People can claim they were optimistic but no one could have known the turn around would be this drastic. Murphy faded out of the limelight, Gute went FA hunting, and LaFleur proved many wrong with his ability to lead a large group of individuals. The Packers are one game out from the Super Bowl with a new Coach, overbearing Team President, role reduced GM, and an overpriced/underperforming/obstinate QB. Seems like a reason to celebrate, not to call out people for being skeptical at the beginning.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

You were not the only one that was concerned about Murphy and his control. A lot of people were skeptical of Murphy and even more about getting a new coach. All the concerns were valid and not without reason. People can claim they were optimistic but no one could have known the turn around would be this drastic. Murphy faded out of the limelight, Gute went FA hunting, and LaFleur proved many wrong with his ability to lead a large group of individuals. The Packers are one game out from the Super Bowl with a new Coach, overbearing Team President, role reduced GM, and an overpriced/underperforming/obstinate QB. Seems like a reason to celebrate, not to call out people for being skeptical at the beginning.  

There's very few things more annoying than "told-ya-so's" on the interweb.  We've all made comments on here that can be scrutinized after the fact.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

There's very few things more annoying than "told-ya-so's" on the interweb.  We've all made comments on here that can be scrutinized after the fact.

Unless it's a told ya so I agree with. Then it makes me feel good inside.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

It was pretty obvious to me the entire time that Murphy is/was perhaps the most (or at least one of the most) qualified people in the league to lead a HC hiring search. I never understood why people wanted it to be Gute and not Murphy. Gute is a pure football scout guy that worked his way up. Murphy is a front office personnel guy with a few decades more experience hiring execs.

The structure is identical to almost all business structures. The criticism was never justified IMO.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It was pretty obvious to me the entire time that Murphy is/was perhaps the most (or at least one of the most) qualified people in the league to lead a HC hiring search. I never understood why people wanted it to be Gute and not Murphy. Gute is a pure football scout guy that worked his way up. Murphy is a front office personnel guy with a few decades more experience hiring execs.

The structure is identical to almost all business structures. The criticism was never justified IMO.

Agree.

People overlooked the amount of experience that Ron Wolf had before he was given the keys to a franchise.   Murphy is as much a football guy as a business guy, and had the experience needed.

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Agree.

People overlooked the amount of experience that Ron Wolf had before he was given the keys to a franchise.   Murphy is as much a football guy as a business guy, and had the experience needed.

Yep, meant to include that distinction as well. Murphy isn't an empty suit, he knows football AND business. One of the most qualified guys in the world to do what he just did and people were somehow upset by it. Confused me then, confuses me now people still don't see it!

3 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Sure.  And Ryan Leaf could also prove that he isn't a bust.  But given the facts of the matter at hand, it's worked.  And worked quite well.  But instead of admitting that so far the results have been good, and left the door open that the results could change our opinion you instead decided to go in the "wait and see" approach.  You've got nothing to support your argument.   You were adamant that the current power structure wouldn't work, and here we are 13-3 and heading to the NFC Championship.