Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

34 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It was pretty obvious to me the entire time that Murphy is/was perhaps the most (or at least one of the most) qualified people in the league to lead a HC hiring search. I never understood why people wanted it to be Gute and not Murphy. Gute is a pure football scout guy that worked his way up. Murphy is a front office personnel guy with a few decades more experience hiring execs.

The structure is identical to almost all business structures. The criticism was never justified IMO.

I think you make really good points and don't disagree that Murphy had all the required qualifications to make the decision. My reservations about him came more to the point that it didn't seem like it was clearly relayed to Gute that this was happening when he accepted the job. At least if I am remembering correctly I thought Gute even publicly stated that he didn't know the coaching hire wouldn't be part of his duties. I also will refer to how the entire situation unfolded and how the introductory press conference went. While I wasn't criticizing Murphy or his decisions, I was definitely worried if the structure would work.

With the way the TT/MM era ended, I think people had every reason to feel reserved about how the power structure would be corrected. I think that is the real reason there was so much initial push back on the process. I now wonder if Murphy would have done this earlier, would MM still be the HC?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

There's very few things more annoying than "told-ya-so's" on the interweb.  We've all made comments on here that can be scrutinized after the fact.

I once called the Kenny Clark selection "like getting trousers for Christmas."  

Stuff happens.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I once called the Kenny Clark selection "like getting trousers for Christmas."  

Stuff happens.  

There were so many exciting names on the board at #44 last year (AJ Brown, anyone?) and we go with some friggin' center named Elgton. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

There were so many exciting names on the board at #44 last year (AJ Brown, anyone?) and we go with some friggin' center named Elgton. 

I watched film on Elgton and I like to at least think that I know a good o-lineman when I see one.  He was elite.  He has/had Pouncey type athleticism as a center.  I thought he could play every position on the line at a high level, even LT.  Thought RT would be his worst spot.  I'm kind of surprised that he isn't the backup center.  He has/had it all.  Length.  Flexibility.  Strength.  Extreme movement skills.  He's a great player.  Never thought we would invest a second round pick on an interior lineman, though.

Gonna tell on myself.  When we took Kenny, I wanted Chris Jones (first) or A'Shawn Robinson (second) or Noah Spence (third).  All over Kenny in my book.  Yah, total whiff on 2 of those three.  It happens.

I'll say it as much as I said it then. I disagreed with Murphy's power at the time and was right along with @Mr Anonymous but NOT because he was in charge of hiring the coach. More so, of the fact that it was being reported that the Head Coach would not report to Gute but would instead be directly reporting to Murphy. I understood the hiring process, never that portion of it though and felt it was wrong. 

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I watched film on Elgton and I like to at least think that I know a good o-lineman when I see one.  He was elite.  He has/had Pouncey type athleticism as a center.  I thought he could play every position on the line at a high level, even LT.  Thought RT would be his worst spot.  I'm kind of surprised that he isn't the backup center.  He has/had it all.  Length.  Flexibility.  Strength.  Extreme movement skills.  He's a great player.  Never thought we would invest a second round pick on an interior lineman, though.

Gonna tell on myself.  When we took Kenny, I wanted Chris Jones (first) or A'Shawn Robinson (second) or Noah Spence (third).  All over Kenny in my book.  Yah, total whiff on 2 of those three.  It happens.

It's okay, I'll never forget throwing my controller at my TV when the Packers took Clay Matthews over Everette Brown. Yep, I was pretty ticked off. I also remember being completely enamored with Jonathan Franklin having the hugest draft crush on him and swore he was going to be better than Eddie Lacy. I mean, at the end of the day that could have been true but we never got to see it unfold. 

• Like 1

I saw some pretty wild conspiracy theories over the power structure shake up. Murphy was an evil genius who only desired ultimate power, McCarthy demanded to only report to Murphy because he never outgrew his 3rd grade socialization skills and was ultimately a brute who couldn't handle authority. It was pretty stupid generally.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Sure.  And Ryan Leaf could also prove that he isn't a bust.  But given the facts of the matter at hand, it's worked.  And worked quite well.  But instead of admitting that so far the results have been good, and left the door open that the results could change our opinion you instead decided to go in the "wait and see" approach.  You've got nothing to support your argument.   You were adamant that the current power structure wouldn't work, and here we are 13-3 and heading to the NFC Championship.

If Gute and Murphy disagree then something is wrong and they need to step back and re-evaluate.  Both were on board with the hire of MLF.  If there is a disagreement between MLF and Gute then looks like Murph would be the final arbiter.  Ideally the structure shouldn't matter because all 3 should be on the same page.  You work as a team that's the best way.  Two heads are always better than one.  Three heads are better than two.  Murphy is a good football man.  Honestly the GM should be the one to hire the coach Murph wanted to be part of the process and that's ok with me.  Gute was an excellent hire by Murphy.  Very astute move. Murphy again is a football man not an owner.  There in lies the difference.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I am surprised when I read my posts now because I have a different avy lol

Know what you mean.  Danny Devito of all people.  Well guess ugly is the theme of the day so in that context it kinda makes sense.  It better work. Don't know what they will come up with if we advance to the Superbowl.  Go Pack Go!

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

What’s he doing in Mil-E-Wauk-A - he should be in his GB apartment praying a novena to Reggie’s ghost for his spirit to re-awaken in San Fran!

Joking aside - he seems to really love Wisconsin - and Wisconsin seems to love him back.