Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I asked this over in the original Lowry thread, but given that Lowry's cap hits/dead cap #s are $5.2/$4.5M (2020), $6.3/$3M (2021), and $7.3/$1.5M (2022), how long does GB keep him on roster?

No way he’s gone in 2020 with a 700k savings. He’s certainly worth more than that.  Really depends how he’s playing in 2021 and I’d say decent chance he’s gone by 22 with almost 6M in savings. I honestly never really liked how much money he got in that contract. 

11 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

I asked this over in the original Lowry thread, but given that Lowry's cap hits/dead cap #s are $5.2/$4.5M (2020), $6.3/$3M (2021), and $7.3/$1.5M (2022), how long does GB keep him on roster?

Like every player in the NFL, Lowry is on the roster until the team finds players that are better than him.  Since it is unlikely that they get that many good additions in one off season, I suspect  his window of vulnerability opens in 2021.  Even if Keke, Adams, and some addition show remarkable improvement, they will still need the depth in 2020.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

When we signed Tim Williams we claimed him off waivers right? How long does a player have to be active before sending them to PS? 

I need a legit summer D league.

He signed a futures contract.  So no PS this year.  Since the season ended for the Packers, there can be no PS signing this year.  The next PS will be established after the final 53-player cutdown.

31 minutes ago, green machine said:

He signed a futures contract.  So no PS this year.  Since the season ended for the Packers, there can be no PS signing this year.  The next PS will be established after the final 53-player cutdown.

No I mean, after you claim a dude on waivers how long til you can put him on your PS. I understand were getting back to the 90 man at this point I was just curious, but also lazy. Cant imagine its immediately?

Packer brass really dropped the ball when they let special teams coaching candidate Rizzi go to New Orleans.  Although there was some improvement on the Packers special teams, New Orleans overall special teams ranking is #1 in the league this year per Dallas News.  Didn't want to spend some extra $$ for him and he left.  Bad move!!  

Tom Silverstein -  LaFleur said it was one of the tightest locker rooms he's ever been around. "That's why it hurt for it to end the way it did," he said.

Lily Zhao -  Matt LaFleur praised Aaron Rodgers for being "open-minded" with his offense and being comfortable with the uncomfortable things he's had to do like being under center more than he has in recent years. Is excited to get another offseason with Rodgers.

Tom Silverstein -  LaFleur said Rodgers is still one of the most talented players. Said career will come down to how long his body holds up. He's a true professional. He takes care of his body.

Bill Huber -  LaFleur on Rodgers: He's still one of the most talented players out there. His mind is as sharp as they come. Will depend on his body holding up.

Rob Demovsky -  After the NFC title game, several players said there wasn't a big gap between the Packers and 49ers. Matt LaFleur spoke reality: "There obviously is. We played them twice, and they took it to us. We'll take a good, hard look at that this offseason. They're the class of the NFC."

• Like 1

Bill Huber -  LaFleur’s defense was manhandled by the 49ers. It wasn’t just the defense, though. Green Bay’s offense, which had functioned at a high level only sporadically all season, had two turnovers and zero points as it trailed 27-0 at halftime. Thus, closing that gap has as much to do with Rodgers as the defense.

Rodgers turned 36 in January and is coming off a second consecutive subpar season by his lofty standards. Against the 49ers, he threw two interceptions (one was irrelevant at the end of the game) and fumbled three times (only one lost). The quarterback with the best passer rating in NFL history topped 100 in only five of 18 games.

While Rodgers stayed healthy after suffering a broken collarbone in 2017 and a knee injury in 2018, it was a challenging season for the team’s 12th-season starter. There were new coaches with LaFleur, offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett and quarterbacks coach Luke Getsy. There were technical, schematic and verbal changes. And there was a perimeter corps that lacked a consistent threat opposite of Davante Adams. Marquez Valdes-Scantling, the only drafted receiver beyond Adams, disappeared during the second half of the season, Geronimo Allison had a dismal season, and veteran tight end Jimmy Graham failed to find the Fountain of Youth.